Give us option to unlearn masteries

TallBarr.2184

9 hours ago, Sarius.9285 said:

now that's not necessarily true. IBS has the least excess points and most of them are locked behind very grindy achievements or DRMs

I take it you're not familiar with DRMs?  None of the Mastery Points are any harder than OW Insights.

Just enter the map on Private Instances. 3 of them: Field of Ruins, Lake Doric and Bloodtide Coast, all you need is to just use mounts to get to them once you enter. As for the rest, just wait 5 minutes for pre-events timer to count down and then run straight to the MP. You do not need to do anything if you don't want to while waiting. They're all that simple to get.

9 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

It's easy to judge for other players that it is "easy" to get enough mastery points to train whatever you want. But remember that we have players with vastly different skill levels and amount of time available to play GW2. So I don't think it is an unreasonable request to have an option to refund the mastery points so players can spend them elsewhere.

Especially Central Tyrian mastery points can be a bit of a challenge for players who have anxiety to play instanced group content like fractals. Just to name an example.

What the request is asking is basically get the Mastery Points without putting in any extra effort. 

If you have limited amount of time, then just get what you can. Most Mastery are not required anyways. If Fractals are not for you, then don't get the Mastery for those since you'll never use them anyways. That will take care of 11 points. So now, you just need 38 for Core Tyria. Go through the others and eliminate them the same way. Don't do Raids, skip that Mastery and that's 8 points less for HoT. And the list goes on.

Check Mastery point unlocks and Mastery track and just assign points to those you'll use. You'll have more than enough to cover what is needed.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarius.9285 said:

I'm very familiar with those lol, also I never said the DRM mysteries are difficult, read again

"now that's not necessarily true. IBS has the least excess points and most of them are locked behind very grindy achievements or DRMs". Your statement suggest that they are not easy to obtain. Whether you meant difficulty or otherwise, is totally irrelevant.

Regardless of how you spin it, if you know how easy it is to get DRM's MPs, you would not have mentioned it

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

"now that's not necessarily true. IBS has the least excess points and most of them are locked behind very grindy achievements or DRMs". Your statement suggest that they are not easy to obtain. Whether you meant difficulty or otherwise, is totally irrelevant.

Regardless of how you spin it, if you know how easy it is to get DRM's MPs, you would not have mentioned it

I don't know how you spin this...but I wrote locked behind grind achievements or DRMs that sentence doesn't imply that DRMs are grindy or hard

• Confused 2

51 minutes ago, Sarius.9285 said:

I don't know how you spin this...but I wrote locked behind grind achievements or DRMs that sentence doesn't imply that DRMs are grindy or hard

Ok, what were you trying to suggest then by mentioning it? If you don't think they are hard or grindy, then your reply to that post makes absolutely no sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

People are afraid of strikes for no reason

There are other reasons to fear structured group content than being afraid to underperform. This game is great for people who don't like to interact with other people too much for various reasons and so there are a lot of them that have found their refuge in this game.

I've only recently done the EoD strikes, but that's because I found a guild that is really supportive. Hell, I even joined a training raid. 

But at the time the IBS strikes came out, I was guildless (which I tend to prefer) and not keen on interacting with people outside of OW. But then in OW you can join and leave whenever you want and that's an important part of it. Anyways, so I was at a big disadvantage there because of myself, but I found enough points just the same. Some were harder but I still managed.

I do accept the consequences of my choices and fears though, so I probably took a harder path to get to all the mastery points I needed, but that was down to me, I feel.

As a side note: I did the EoD strikes successfully (normal mode), I joined a raid (Wing 3, with training wheels on), which we also completed successfully and I found I didn't really enjoy that sort of content. I didn't hate it, but unless there's something I can gain that I really want (and I mean really), I'm not going there again. It's just not for me and I'd rather spend my time elsewhere in the game. And hey, I got access to and completed my raid mastery points. I did want to do that even just for the sake of completing them.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Ok, what were you trying to suggest then by mentioning it? If you don't think they are hard or grindy, then your reply to that post makes absolutely no sense.

to show that I'm aware of those points? Literally no other reason lol, just to prevent people from being "but what about the easy points in DRMs, you just have to interact with them" which clearly didn't work 😂

• Confused 3

19 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Especially Central Tyrian mastery points can be a bit of a challenge for players who have anxiety to play instanced group content like fractals. Just to name an example.

Then they effectively lose on 4 available mastery points, right? Because there are 15(?) mastery points bound to fractals and 11 points are needed for fractal masteries, which can be easly skipped by someone not wanting to play them.

It doesn't mean that the mastery points left for them are all easy for new players, sure. But then again this is a "mastery" system 😄

• Confused 1

Personally I'd love to reset/unlearn my Legendary Crafting masteries.  Thought I'd like doing it, finally realized how much work was involved, and swiftly decided I just did not care enough.  In fact, it was cheaper to outright buy the precursor I wanted off the trading post than to farm all the materials (and do all the collections) to get there.

Would really like to be able to max out the Pact Commander line, but ... well, I'm 3 points away, and the most expedient thing I can do is play through Season 2, which I absolutely loathed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

20 hours ago, itspomf.9523 said:

Personally I'd love to reset/unlearn my Legendary Crafting masteries.  Thought I'd like doing it, finally realized how much work was involved, and swiftly decided I just did not care enough.  In fact, it was cheaper to outright buy the precursor I wanted off the trading post than to farm all the materials (and do all the collections) to get there.

Would really like to be able to max out the Pact Commander line, but ... well, I'm 3 points away, and the most expedient thing I can do is play through Season 2, which I absolutely loathed.

Or you can do fractals. There are a number of easy ones to get there and generally people are happy to show them to you or help you get them. I'm not a fan of fractals, but I just did a few because I wanted Nevermore and got a few mastery points on the way.

22 hours ago, itspomf.9523 said:

What exactly is it you enjoy about this game if you can't even finish the most basic mastery track?

I'm not trying to be snarky but looking at Mastery point unlocks for Central Tyria, I would classify 20 as very easy & 19 as easy. That's a total of 39. The rest can be considered anywhere from medium to hard but getting the 49 required for all the tracks is really not that difficult unless you do not like doing anything ingame other than running around and killing easy mobs.

Edited by Silent.6137

On 9/27/2022 at 4:32 PM, Silent.6137 said:

What exactly is it you enjoy about this game if you can't even finish the most basic mastery track?

I'm not trying to be snarky but looking at Mastery point unlocks for Central Tyria, I would classify 20 as very easy & 19 as easy. That's a total of 39. The rest can be considered anywhere from medium to hard but getting the 49 required for all the tracks is really not that difficult unless you do not like doing anything ingame other than running around and killing easy mobs.

Definitely not my take on core masteries. I have extra PoF and HoT MPs, but just getting Pact Mastery and Legendary crafting maxed was a bit of a stretch without doing fractals. Maybe I overlooked some somewhere, but at the end I was doing things like camping one of the RIBA forts to get that last champ that stubbornly refused to appear.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Definitely not my take on core masteries. I have extra PoF and HoT MPs, but just getting Pact Mastery and Legendary crafting maxed was a bit of a stretch without doing fractals. Maybe I overlooked some somewhere, but at the end I was doing things like camping one of the RIBA forts to get that last champ that stubbornly refused to appear.

Even if you have to camp an area for the points doesn't make them hard. Sometimes, that's to be expected if you just happened to be there right after the previous spawn.

1. Basic Collections Koutalophile
  2. Bosses Karka Queen Killer
  3. Dry Top Ruler of Shinies
  4. Echoes of the Past Echoes of the Past
  5. Entanglement Entanglement
  6. Explorer Dive Master
  7. Explorer Lion's Arch Exterminator
  8. Gates of Maguuma Gates of Maguuma
  9. Hero Been There, Done That
  10. Hero Dungeons Discovered
  11. Hero Master of Heroics
  12. Hero Personal Story Chapter 1
  13. Hero Personal Story Chapter 2
  14. Hero Personal Story Chapter 3
  15. Hero Personal Story Chapter 4
  16. Hero Personal Story Chapter 5
  17. Hero Personal Story Chapter 6
  18. Hero Personal Story Chapter 7
  19. Hero Personal Story Chapter 8
  20. Jumping Puzzles Hidden Garden
  21. Mastery Insights Bloodtide Coast Insight: Bloody Bill's Base
  22. Mastery Insights Dredgehaunt Cliffs Insight: Dostoev Sky Peak
  23. Mastery Insights Fireheart Rise Insight: Cozen Desolation
  24. Mastery Insights Harathi Hinterlands Insight: Hidden Ourobon
  25. Mastery Insights Iron Marches Insight: Sunken Halls of Clarent
  26. Mastery Insights Malchor's Leap Insight: Scavenger's Chasm
  27. Mastery Insights Mount Maelstrom Insight: Volcanic Rim
  28. Mastery Insights Sparkfly Fen Insight: Shattercleft Hills
  29. Mastery Insights Timberline Falls Insight: Copperhammer Mines
  30. Point of No Return Point of No Return
  31. Seeds of Truth Seeds of Truth
  32. Tangled Paths Tangled Paths
  33. Tequatl Slaughter in the Swamp
  34. The Dragon's Reach, Part 1 The Dragon's Reach, Part 1
  35. The Dragon's Reach, Part 2 The Dragon's Reach, Part 2
  36. The Silverwastes Go for the Gold
  37. The Silverwastes Retrospective Runaround
  38. The Silverwastes The Annihilator
  39. The Silverwastes The Be-All and the End-All
  40. The Silverwastes The Demolisher
  41. The Silverwastes The Executioner
  42. The Silverwastes The Tormentor

Looking through the list, these 42 are the ones I consider to be very easy or easy.  They may not be "run up and get them" but having to put in a little effort will not make them hard to get. Most of those I listed are just logical Story steps that should be done anyways. Those not listed, most of them, I would consider to be of medium difficulties.

• Like 1

ANet will sometimes do things that they think are good for the overall health of the game that make some players unhappy.  That was inevitable.  The Mastery system is designed as keep-players-busy content, which thus keeps players playing.  Some people want what masteries offer and don't want to hunt points.  However, it is likely in ANet's overall best interest to keep the system as is, rather than allow people to sidestep the intent behind the system.  Don't old your breath.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it make Gen 2 legendaries too easy to get? You need the masteries maxed out to be able to buy the gifts to make the Gift of Maguuma Mastery. If you could forget, just buy one, forget, buy another, forget. Full Gift of Maguuma Mastery with a quarter of the mastery pounts you currently need.

Edited by Sinmir.6504

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, Quodaax.8370 said:

I would like to push this request to the front again. PLEASE GIVE US A MASTERY POINTS RESET OPTION!

Heck, sell us Reset Tokens that take away one point per token. You'd make a fortune.

Why there is more then enough points to go around no need for resets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1