The One Thing Hammer Needs Now

CalmTheStorm.2364

I've been rolling this idea around for awhile now, but I just saw @Lan Deathrider.5910 and @felix.2386 mention it in another thread, so I took it as a sign that now is the time.

The proposed trait changes do wonders to support hammer's gameplay. In particular, the resistance from resilient roll, stab from stalwart strength, and quickness from aggressive onslaught both protect hammer's big attacks from being blinded or interrupted as well as potentiate its damage combos. 

Hammer itself brings big CC, some decent dmg spikes, and a bit of mobility. What it completely lacks, however, is any form of defense. 

My (our) suggestion:

give staggering blow an evade frame. Consider giving it 2 charges on something like a 20s CD.

This provides both defense as well as more CC (with which to set up Backbreaker, fierce blow, and proc traits like AO and SS).

Make this one change and I think you'll see hammer re-emerge as a staple of warrior gameplay. 

*Honorable mention: Backbreaker could use some love too (e.g., speed it up, give it a leap, etc), but I doubt such a change is what hammer needs most. It needs defense first and foremost. 

• Thanks 1

personally, hammer needs mobility more over evade,

because in current meta, one evade will not save you from getting creeped by overly-mobilized enemies

mobility not only help you land CC which stops enemy from attacking, also help you to get to safe spot quicker and help with kitting

but anything helps at this point.

best would be both tbh

Edited by felix.2386
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The cast time reduction would be enough considering it recharges FB.

I dunno about that... It's still a high CD, highly telegraphed, single target attack that needs to be done in melee range. Compare that to harbinger's 3s pulsing AoE CC... 

I think having it be unblockable would provide some niche uses, esp vs something like core guard. 

If they were dead set against making it unblockable, both cast time and CD should be reduced significantly (e.g., 3/4s cast on a 15s CD), and maybe increase the range to 240.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Kraav.8136 said:

OP talked about giving hammer something in the realm of a defensive. I am suggesting 2 seconds of blindness on the final attack of our hammer 1 chain. 

I would love for Backbreaker to have the casting speed reduced to 3/4 sec, and the damage returned. 

There was a hammer skill in GW1 that blinded foes if you struck knocked down targets: Belly Smash - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I am loving that hammer is more viable now. Definitely one of my favorite ways to play warrior.

I do stand by my initial assessment that an evade frame on staggering blow would greatly help with hammer viability.

But I also have come to believe that what hammer REALLY needs, more than anything else, is a highly functional MH sword.

Hear me out. Hammer misses three things: 1) mobility, 2) defense, and 3) sustained dmg output (it's got a few big hits but no way to continually pressure a target).  MH sword has the mobility, and it allows you to equip shield OH, so that answers two of the three problems. But sword is such a nothingburger in terms of offense that it just isn't viable.

That's why a sword rework is on the top of my wish list for this Nov patch. While ostensibly a condi weapon, a versatile MH sword could still offer plenty to power builds in the right circumstances (kinda like MH axe for ranger).

PS. Backbreaker still sucks. It needs more range, a shorter cast, and/or some special effect. It's so dumb to have a CC that is so ponderous that you need to land another CC just so you can land it. 

• Thanks 1

If hammer already has CC, damage spikes, and mobility, what makes you think they would add defense on top of that?

Isn't that just making it a powerful all-rounder?

It's like saying "if they would just add a 2 second stun to Rush, Greatsword would be perfect!". 

It could use a bit of a buff, but I don't know if that's a realistic direction for it.

14 minutes ago, Arewn.2368 said:

If hammer already has CC, damage spikes, and mobility, what makes you think they would add defense on top of that?

Ranger Greatsword already does all of these things.

Why is hammer being a good all-rounder bad? 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Arewn.2368 said:

It's like saying "if they would just add a 2 second stun to Rush, Greatsword would be perfect!". 

It could use a bit of a buff, but I don't know if that's a realistic direction for it.

No it should launch

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Ranger Greatsword already does all of these things.

Why is hammer being a good all-rounder bad? 

Mesmer, Warrior, Vindicator, Guardian, and Reaper greadswords don't. You're using an outlier as an example.

I don't think they are going to over-allocate capabilities to weapon sets like that as the norm. Especially after the recent balance philosophy post where they outlined their stance on roles and power budget.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arewn.2368 said:

Mesmer, Warrior, Vindicator, Guardian, and Reaper greadswords don't. You're using an outlier as an example.

I don't think they are going to over-allocate capabilities to weapon sets like that as the norm. Especially after the recent balance philosophy post where they outlined their stance on roles and power budget.

Y'know what, that's a fair response~ 

13 minutes ago, Arewn.2368 said:

Absolutely not. They all have CC and utility outside of warrior greatsword.

Reaper greatsword has blind, boon removal, and soft and hard CC. Just missing the mobility which shroud inherently has.

Vindicator greatsword has block and mobility and chill soft cc. Just missing hard CC.

Guardian greatsword has blind, mobility, a heal, and hard CC.

Mesmer greatsword has boon removal and hard CC and is ranged.

Ranger greatsword has mobility, evade frame, block, and hard CC.

Warrior greatsword just has mobility and an evade frame.

• Thanks 2