Rework boring low cooldown pet skills!

Dib.4612

Soulbeast brought something to light, but with Untamed giving us full pet control it's even clearer.

Low cooldown, weak damage skills are a pain to manage and don't add much value.

Fanged iboga has a 5s!!! cooldown 'Crippling Anguish'.

Cats have an 8s cooldown 'bite'.

The birds, share something similar. An 8s cooldown 'swoop'. 

Rock gazelle has 8s 'kick'.

Hounds have 10s 'crippling leap'.

Drakes have 10s 'chomp'.

Pigs have 12s 'maul'.

Wyverns have 12s 'tail lash'

And don't forget, with Beastmastery these cooldowns become even 20% lower!

A simple fix to this would be to at the least increase the cooldown on these to 15 seconds or even more. And then increase the damage they deal to such a point that they become strong burst skills. 

• Confused 5

weak?
swoop ok, but Crippling Anguish, bite, chomp, kick? 
Why is something with bigger dps+extra than an auto-attack is weak?

They may need some changes, but not rework.

What needs a rework is like hyena. 
(Because Howl of the Pack, hyena has reduced power, it has a long cd, relative long cast time, the summoned easily disappear and hard to control.  I know they wanted to compensate the summon with power reduction, but the reduction is permanent, the summon is temporary . It is hard to balance (and they wont even try) so reworking is more better option here, than changing numbers here and there.)

43 minutes ago, enkeny.6937 said:

weak?
swoop ok, but Crippling Anguish, bite, chomp, kick? 
Why is something with bigger dps+extra than an auto-attack is weak?

They may need some changes, but not rework.

What needs a rework is like hyena. 
(Because Howl of the Pack, hyena has reduced power, it has a long cd, relative long cast time, the summoned easily disappear and hard to control.  I know they wanted to compensate the summon with power reduction, but the reduction is permanent, the summon is temporary . It is hard to balance (and they wont even try) so reworking is more better option here, than changing numbers here and there.)

Autocast is just treating symptoms rather than the disease.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Dib.4612 said:

Autocast is just treating symptoms rather than the disease.

I think, you quoted wrong.
I don't care about auto cast, because it is only helps in this topic if you are untamed, normal rangers cant control this skills.

My problem was: you pointed out some skills, which are better then the auto-attack, and you say it is a problem to cast it rapidly...

23 hours ago, Dib.4612 said:

they become strong burst skills. 

Making it to do 1 high damage with a long cd is not good. In pve it will mostly do the some dps so it is not a problem (can be better with increases skill ceiling), in pvp a semi-random spike damage from ai will be...

So, for one, the pet skills are affected by alacrity / fervent force which creates a balancing issue if you were to make them stronger (as CD doesn't really matter here).  

For another, some of those aren't damage skills--hounds crippling leap for instance.  Just for a tip, that skill is very, very good for merged soulbeast mobility.  

Not that they can't fix up some of the weird things.  Hyena was mentioned where it's F2 is useless, some of the field skills like spider poison gas is difficult to get any effectiveness from, Moas frenzied attack...

2 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

So, for one, the pet skills are affected by alacrity / fervent force which creates a balancing issue if you were to make them stronger (as CD doesn't really matter here).  

For another, some of those aren't damage skills--hounds crippling leap for instance.  Just for a tip, that skill is very, very good for merged soulbeast mobility.  

Not that they can't fix up some of the weird things.  Hyena was mentioned where it's F2 is useless, some of the field skills like spider poison gas is difficult to get any effectiveness from, Moas frenzied attack...

They all have niche uses, the Cripple leap for example synergies well with Predator's Onslaught since it has really good uptime vs cooldown. The pet damage has always been negligent (Canines are one of the worst DPS pets)

The Spider again has it uses especially in WvW, Poison Gas with its poison field can help you take on Zergs if you time it right. Not to mention Paralyzing Venom complements most Ranger builds since you control its application.

18 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

They all have niche uses, the Cripple leap for example synergies well with Predator's Onslaught since it has really good uptime vs cooldown. The pet damage has always been negligent (Canines are one of the worst DPS pets)

The Spider again has it uses especially in WvW, Poison Gas with its poison field can help you take on Zergs if you time it right. Not to mention Paralyzing Venom complements most Ranger builds since you control its application.

Right, talking actually useful uses here though. 

For instance, if I see someone running with a spider in any competitive environment, it's a free bag.  If I see someone trying to take on a zerg with a poison field, I'm going to whisper and ask what they're on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Right, talking actually useful uses here though. 

For instance, if I see someone running with a spider in any competitive environment, it's a free bag.  If I see someone trying to take on a zerg with a poison field, I'm going to whisper and ask what they're on.

I have but only on my Druid where I'm trying get as many Roots as possible and the poison field just helps me with my bleed damage. In terms of sniping people during Zerg clashes my Untamed doesn't use them rather Smokescale and Jacaranda for damage/survivability.

When I tried the 41k Untamed build I used the Forest Spider (poison one) as the other pet when pared with Iboga mostly due to its health pool being greater (since you need your pet alive to do the rotation).

Again they have their uses buts its only if you are really playing the game and not following a Snowcrow build to closely (which never ends well).