We need more group focused content.

Einsof.1457

As it stands more than 95% of the game does not require organization or communication with other players. We need to get this number to 80% or lower. This is an MMORPG after all. More challenge modes like Migraine from HoT would be a good first step. More fun rewards/skins for doing group related activities. These activities do not have to be strikes or raids or fractals(but we could use more of all of these modes, honestly) but can be more focused on open world or story instances. It would be cool to get bonus exp or rewards if we do world events with full groups/squads. As an MMORPG, this will foster community, friendships, and fun.  Group related content is lacking hard and should be built out more. Solo players should be pushed into the Multiplayer aspect more either through more rewards, or for other things. Another good idea would be to require the story dungeons as part of the vanilla story. When ascalon catacombs becomes available, make story mode required for the next step of the story. Get players used to talking and playing with others.  This will make players more comfortable and willing to do strikes/raids/fractals because they already have experience in groups during the vanilla experience. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 37
  • Sad 2

There is already a variety of group content to choose from. Feel free to add more, but don't make people that wish to remain solo miss out on open world rewards simply because they don't wish to team.

Solo players shouldn't be "pushed" into anything, let it all be optional. Want the reward (ie, legendary armor), do the content. Don't care about the reward, don't be "forced" to complete it.

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

There is already a variety of group content to choose from. Feel free to add more, but don't make people that wish to remain solo miss out on open world rewards simply because they don't wish to team.

Solo players shouldn't be "pushed" into anything, let it all be optional. Want the reward (ie, legendary armor), do the content. Don't care about the reward, don't be "forced" to complete it.

its optional, you just get more for being in groups/squads. and story dungeons should absolutely be required to get through the 1-80 story experience. You get bonus pips for being in squads in WvW, there should be bonuses in open world pve as well. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

Just now, kharmin.7683 said:

What problem is this trying to solve?  How will this generate more revenue for Anet? 

This.  All I see is "This is an MMORPG after all."

All the threads on Open World Legendary Armour and solo content are being started because there is an actual lack of endgame for solo players, and those players want more endgame.

This thread seems to be premised on the idea that there just "should be" a certain proportion of endgame that is multiplayer.  Not even that you as a person who likes multiplayer wants more multiplayer (which I infer from the "Another good idea would be to require the story dungeons as part of the vanilla story." which wouldn't be something that affects you).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

What problem is this trying to solve?  How will this generate more revenue for Anet? 

The problem of being bored and wanting to troll because of the other thread. Also, good lord, it's a sad day when literally everything is just 'how will that make more profit??' is your go to argument.

• Like 14
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

The problem of being bored and wanting to troll because of the other thread. Also, good lord, it's a sad day when literally everything is just 'how will that make more profit??' is your go to argument.

But that's the how the game can succeed?  People keep framing the solo threads as "You just want the game tailored to you."  But that's missing the point.  Lot's of people want solo content, and therefore (arguably) solo content is a viable business approach which will make the game stronger.

Yes, all solo players can just log out and play a single player game, but how is that good for GW2?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

8 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

Also, good lord, it's a sad day when literally everything is just 'how will that make more profit??' is your go to argument.

Any changes to the state or direction of the game has to consider this point.  Anet is a business.  If their investors don't profit, then there's no business.  A lot of people around here don't understand how business works.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

Hmmmm.... lets see, you already have Fractals, Raids, Strikes, WvW which are all "Group game modes"  Me thinks your 95% math is just a tad flawed  and overly dramatic.    There is plenty of group content out there.. hell even things like the Triple Trouble, Dragon's End and all of the HoT metas require groups to succeed.  

To me this sounds like you just want more content cause you are bored with all the above.    This is bound to happen with a 10 year old game.    

As a person who mostly plays solo, I don't really see the point in forcing people like myself into group stuff when we really don't want to deal with people bitching over the stupidest little thing or forcing me to play how they want to.   When I want group content I just venture into one of the game modes I listed above when I feel the urge... being forced into it like you are suggesting, would only turn me off of the game and make me go find my entertainment elsewhere.... Pretty sure that isn't ANETs goal

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Hard disagree with the OP. I think GW2 suffers the most when it tries to better fit the MMO mold.

I believe the current model of OW = casual/soloable vs structured group play = instanced should remain, and it's done pretty well. Of course "it's been pretty good so far" is never a great argument for refusing to even investigate the status quo, but at the same time I'm annoyed when people talk about the game "needs" X or Y change when it's not actually failing.

I think the HoT/PoF HP trains demonstrate what I like best about the game. When skilling up a new character, I solo every HoT and PoF HP (yes, including the infamous Balth one in AB). For anyone who's done that before, you know it's not actually that hard; you just need to have a decent sense of the encounters + whatever class you want to do it on. However, there's nothing stopping many tags from running HP trains for both areas multiple times per day. To me, this shows that expansion HPs are hard enough for many to want groups, but easy enough for the solo player to pull off. I think that's a niche few games are able to hit, and it's one of the few things keeping me interested in GW2's gameplay.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Just because there would be more group content, doesn't mean that more players will do it. In fact, it will most likely cause people to leave. I think that a lot of people play this game because it has a big focus on creating content that you do not need to group up for.

You're right 95% of this game isn't structured group content. That should tell you something about the player base. I think you'll find that there are some people who would enjoy more structured group content, but a lot more who don't.

31 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

fun is its own reward, SIR.

But what is fun is very different from person to person. Some people go for the path travelled, others go for the destination. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

14 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Just because there would be more group content, doesn't mean that more players will do it. In fact, it will most likely cause people to leave. I think that a lot of people play this game because it has a big focus on creating content that you do not need to group up for.

You're right 95% of this game isn't structured group content. That should tell you something about the player base. I think you'll find that there are some people who would enjoy more structured group content, but a lot more who don't.

But what is fun is very different from person to person. Some people go for the path travelled, others go for the destination. 

Hi. I've developed a first person shooter but only 5% of it involves first person or shooting.

• Like 5
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Hi. I've developed a first person shooter but only 5% of it involves first person or shooting.

Funny, but MMOs have changed a lot over the years. So play semantics all you want but these changes are where the money is and Anet knows this. That's why this game doesn't have more group content.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Funny, but MMOs have changed a lot over the years. So play semantics all you want but these changes are where the money is and Anet knows this. That's why this game doesn't have more group content.

Yes, obviously they should add more gacha boxes and rollable characters as well as start selling power boosts. Because that's where the industry trend is going right with games like genshin impact.

What they need to do is simply provide more content for everyone and focus on what the game is good at. Group content included and not 95% of it be story and open world. They have been getting better with strikes but there would need to be a lot more consistent releases.

Edited by Warscythes.9307
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

10 minutes ago, Warscythes.9307 said:

Yes, obviously they should add more gacha boxes and rollable characters as well as start selling power boosts. Because that's where the industry trend is going right with games like genshin impact.

well, all I can say is that Anet are balancing their resources for new content and it tends to fall in favour of OW and story content. If you're not happy with that, then that sucks for you.

10 minutes ago, Warscythes.9307 said:

What they need to do is simply provide more content for everyone and focus on what the game is good at. Group content included and not 95% of it be story and open world. They have been getting better with strikes but there would need to be a lot more consistent releases.

And they have to do that because...?

Ah right, because you want it.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

well, all I can say is that Anet are balancing their resources for new content and it tends to fall in favour of OW and story content. If you're not happy with that, then that sucks for you.

And they have to do that because...?

Ah right, because you want it.

I believe they have to do it because I think it will make the game better. GW2 has been on a consistent decline since release, which is normal for every game but I believe it can be so much more. I vehemently believe the current state where it is doing just ok is not where it could be because the majority of the content be poured onto living story is a big mistake that causes huge issues with player retention. 

I think if it continues the current stage of releasing 1 LS every 3 months and 1 group content maybe every half a year will be serviceable like it has been doing for the past decade. That however will just let the game be in the same old state forever. There need to be a shift in focus to pull the game to where it can be and I believe a focus on rewarding group content is essential. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6