Shop Items - Salvaging... am I missing something?

Mykhel.6532

I think this is the first time I've noticed this... which is sad cause at one point, I owned all 3... but the Gem prices don't make a lot of sense to me in the store. For a recap, I'll do the store regular prices of these items and their descriptions:

Copper-fed Salvage-o-matic - 800 Gems - 3 copper per use

- 10% chance of rarer materials. 20% chance
Silver-Fed Salvage-o-matic - 500 Gems - 60 copper per use

- 25% chance of rarer materials. 80% chance of salvaging upgrades

Runecrafter's Salvage-o-matic - 600 Gems - 30 copper per use

- 20% chance of rarer materials. 100% chance of salvaging upgrades

So here's my issue with these: why is it that the one that has the lowest chance of giving rarer materials/upgrades, but costs the lowest amount of copper cost the MOST in the store at 800 gems? Am I missing the point of why people are salvaging their items? I want the salvage. I make more off selling the excess mithril/wood/cloth from these items to make up for the 60 copper charge than I ever did with the 3 copper per use one... so why is the most profitable one the cheapest?

Also... I'd like to note that it's also misleading because none of them salvage runes/sigils, which are literally in the "upgrade" slot of ANY item I find that isn't the random-box blue/green/yellows.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I've been doing it wrong the whole time! Let me know! I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.

• Confused 5

Because the copper is the best one for most salvaging - ie blues and greens. The silver should only be used for rare. The copper being the most used, cheapest per use, most convenient and most sought after is therefore going to command the higher buy price

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 6

The silver kit is better for rares where you get ectos. I’ve only ever used silver for that and black lion for exotics. If I have a stack of 250 blue and green unids, I’m using copper and not wasting gold just for a 10% increased chance of orich, ancient wood etc

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LSD.4673 said:

3 "confused"s rather than explaining to the guy/leaving it to the people who bothered to reply. GJ everyone. High 5s all around.

Why do people even bother paying any attention to the emojis? I'll never understand.

I have all 3, and use the copper on blues or less, runecrafters on greens and yellows since they more than likely have runes to possibly return motes etc, and black lion on exotics.  I don't know it that is the most effective or not, but it is easy.

• Like 1

Cmiiw

To add on to what linken explained, anet is using the word 'salvage' to mean, you break the embedded upgrade for materials (lucent powder and a teeny weeny chance for those triangle/square things, I think they're called symbols and somethings). Which also means, if the 'salvage' chance fails, the embedded rune/sigil is completely lost.

Breaking(salvage) the equipment for materials and breaking(salvage) the embedded upgrade for materials are counted separately.

IE the runecrafter will always be able to ('salvage'=get materials from) the upgrade component if there is one, with lower chance for the rarer materials when salvaging the equipment itself, when compared to the silvermatic/yellowsalvagekit, 20% Vs 25%. It also means the 100% upgrade salvage chance is completely wasted on any item with no upgrades.

Only the black lion salvage kit can retrieve the upgrade intact when 'salvaging' the equipment (tho only a few runes/sigils are worth anything)

There's an old thread that people did to compare which kits to use for which situation, but it is probably a few years out of date. You can use it as reference though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mykhel.6532 said:

So the 3 copper per use is the best value then? Huh. I always thought using more copper but having a higher chance at rarer mats was always the better option. Good to know. Thanks!

Technically you're right. Except you have to consider first what is those "rare materials" you'd want to obtain. And the answer is ectos and inscriptions/insignia. As for upgrades, it's runes or sigils. Globs of Ectoplasm are only available from level 68+ rares and exotics. Inscriptions/insignia from level 76+ exotics (and not all of them - craftable ones cannot be obtained that way). Similarily with runes or sigils - they show up only from green gear up. As such, salvaging white and blue gear using anything higher than basic kit/copper-fed is a waste of money. Salvaging green gear (or rare/exotic gear of under 68 level) with better kits isn't very efficient either.

As such, mystic kit/silver-fed are only a good option for higher level rares and exotics, and should nto be used for anything else. Which makes copper-fed the kit you would get the most use from. Thus the gem price.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1