Restructuring Daily Achievements

jia li ng.8415

A Proposal:

Newly created accounts with character levels below 15 have separate daily achievements on the 1-15 maps with everything from foraging, mining, logging, events, and jumping puzzles. Once that account reaches the threshold of a character level 16 participation in these events would no longer be available.

Players accounts who have characters 16-34 would then be given appropriate level tasks and zones to complete their daily achievements (F2P players have no access to Lions Arch until level 35) of foraging, mining, logging, events, and jumping puzzles, after gaining level 35 participation in these sets of dailies is no longer available.

Once a player character reaches 35 on their account and gains access to Lion's Arch the ability to participate in the daily activity achievement as well.

This introduces is a balance to the game, level 80 characters would no longer be required their daily achievements in zones lower than 35.With this system of balancing a player would still purchase Heart of Thorns and or Path of Fire, the moment they use a level booster to rush to their character level 80, zones lower than 34 would no longer be required for the completion of daily achievements.

The population would move accordingly to appropriate level zones where they can enjoy their unstifled freedom to play Guild Wars 2 how they wish.

Restructuring Daily Achievements

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"jia li ng.8415" said:

This introduces is a balance to the game, level 80 characters would no longer be required their daily achievements in zones lower than 35.

The population would move accordingly to appropriate level zones where they can enjoy their unstifled freedom to play Guild Wars 2 how they wish.

Taking options away from people doesn't give them more opportunity to play how they wish. They need to add more options so if you don't want to play in a zone lower than 35 you don't have to. If you'd like to do your 4 Wayfarer dailies because you are going to be on the WB train anways and what an easy way to knock one out, why should that be taken away from us?

The auto-adjusting of level to the content is one of the strongest things about this game. I can't for the life of me figure out why 'discouraging' people to not use all the wonderful content would be a good thing? I think of SWL and how absolutely maddening it is that I can't go do dailies in more zones, like the very first zone, as a maxed out character and fight mobs more appropriate to my level. No, they don't have any sort of auto-leveling tech, but they could just make a copy of the area and repopulate it and they won't even do that.

Giving us a lot more choices and options would have some impact on what you want anyways, as more people might be inclined to do some things in other areas instead of just the 4 DEs in a newbie zone.

And instead of a specific zone, why not make it "4 DEs in a region"? Like how all the gathering ones work?

I don't have any interest in low level content being removed from rotation.

All I want changed about the daily system is that there need to be at minimum 6 PvE dailies to choose from, ideally more than that, so that it's possible to compete the dailies through PvE alone without having to do "X events on a map" or "run a dungeon" dailies.

Not one single person is required to do their dailies in a zone lower than 35. You can always go to pvp or wvw and complete your dailies if you don't like the easy content in the lower level zones. It's about choice, YOU choose to not got lower level maps, I choose to not do so and gladly do the dailies wherever they happen to be. Just because I have a level 35+ character on my account, it doesn't mean that I don't have a lower level character that I can use those lower level dailies to help level it up in ways other than ToK or Instant 80. For some people, fighting mobs you're used to fighting give you a good barometer to see how your build is doing and to get used to the rotations.

Sure I could go to the lower level zones to work on builds, etc but when I can do both, why take it away?

Umm, how about no? WHich was pretty much the reaction when you posted this earlier.

Without overly complicating things all you have to do with event dailies is rather than a particular map identify a region. People will go wherever they can find the most events in a small space, which is not always on the starter maps. The ideal would be like the old dailies though and you could do your dailies anywhere in Tyria. For example, just because I bought HOT that does not necessarily mean I still hang out there but that is what the daily system now assumes.

I wish ANet would return to regional dailies, not map specific dailies. That way I can choose the map level that best fits the char I’m playing that day. I dislike the map specific dailies as they put everyone in the same map so that zergs of people are running from event to event. Hordes of high level players have too many advantages against low levels trying to do the same event. Regional dailies would spread out the zerg and fewer high levels would go to starter maps to do event dailies.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:I wish ANet would return to regional dailies, not map specific dailies. That way I can choose the map level that best fits the char I’m playing that day. I dislike the map specific dailies as they put everyone in the same map so that zergs of people are running from event to event. Hordes of high level players have too many advantages against low levels trying to do the same event. Regional dailies would spread out the zerg and fewer high levels would go to starter maps to do event dailies.

I want this, but I can see the same thing happening like this too.If they did a "Kryta Event Completion" daily, you know very very well for the majority... they're going to the Gendarran Fields because it's right outside Lion's Arch. Either there or Bloodtide as it's also Kryta.Southsun would be more barren than it already is because many won't want to ever go there again when they don't feel like it either.for a Maguuma I can see it splitting between the 2 starting areas seeing as it's faster to get to once again from lion's arch. Just take an Asura Gate to Grove/Sum and then head out there and do events.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:I wish ANet would return to regional dailies, not map specific dailies. That way I can choose the map level that best fits the char I’m playing that day. I dislike the map specific dailies as they put everyone in the same map so that zergs of people are running from event to event. Hordes of high level players have too many advantages against low levels trying to do the same event. Regional dailies would spread out the zerg and fewer high levels would go to starter maps to do event dailies.

I want this, but I can see the same thing happening like this too.If they did a "Kryta Event Completion" daily, you know very very well for the majority... they're going to the Gendarran Fields because it's right outside Lion's Arch. Either there or Bloodtide as it's also Kryta.Southsun would be more barren than it already is because many won't want to ever go there again when they don't feel like it either.for a Maguuma I can see it splitting between the 2 starting areas seeing as it's faster to get to once again from lion's arch. Just take an Asura Gate to Grove/Sum and then head out there and do events.

1) that assumes they’re in Lion’s Arch in the first place.2) Waypoints makes each map next to each other. When you waypoint Gendarren is no closer that Harathi3) we used to have regional dailies. I don’t recall people choosing the next map over because it’s closest.

As to Southsun, you might have a point. Perhaps the Karka Queen Boss daily when it occurs can be paired with Krytan dailies.

Every time this comes up I 100% agree that level 80s in full ascended and on mounts should NOT be doing daily events in starter areas. That's basically why my wife doesn't play GW2. It's no fun to be learning how to point your character in the right direction and not get credit for events because some douchebag killed an entire mob by himself in one hit.

I can't imagine ANet spending time on this proposal, as written. It works against the implied goals for dailies.

What's ANet's goal in having a selection of dailies for PvE? Clearly, it's not just about throwing 2 gold at us, which is how it works with WvW & PvP: although there's a rotation, it never involves going out of the way for anyone who PvPs or WvW for a couple of hours. WvWers aren't asked to play particular maps, go after specific objectives; it's all generic.

In contrast, PvE is very detailed. We're not asked to do a JP, but to reach the end of specific JPs. We aren't going after any dungeon; we're tasked to visit a specific dungeon. The 4-Event daily is specific to a zone, not a region. The closest things to generic are the trivial ones: gathering & vistas and even those are region-specific.

So it seems pretty clear that ANet intends that PvErs be encouraged to move from the dispersed normal routine into specific areas, to add additional interest in spots that might not otherwise get extra population (which has the bonus impact of turning over map instances faster, helping non-solo players to complete chain events, etc).

Increasing the number of options all works against that idea.

Is the current system the best way to herd people towards specific maps? Is it a worthwhile goal to try to do that? Those are reasonable questions, neither of which is addressed by the original post.

@jia li ng.8415 said:Dungeons used to be part of the daily 5.

When was a dungeon path included in the daily every single day? I don't remember that.

This makes places dead, feeling populated is a powerful thing in an MMO and the reason Dailies are as they are. You want to see plenty people as you level, it tells you the game you are playing has a decent population. Your request will reduce the number of random encounters with other players lower level people have.

@Ohoni.6057 said:I don't have any interest in low level content being removed from rotation.

All I want changed about the daily system is that there need to be at minimum 6 PvE dailies to choose from, ideally more than that, so that it's possible to compete the dailies through PvE alone without having to do "X events on a map" or "run a dungeon" dailies.

Events and dungeons are PvE...

They’re not going to add more easy dailies if the number of options were increased. If you found issues with events and dungeons then chances are you may not like the additional options.

This concept may free up servers as well.

I think the regional idea has merit.

For Kryta, players could choose from the aforementioned Gendarran Fields, and Bloodtide Coast, and also Harathi Hinterlands (personally, I would go to Harathi Hinterlands without hesitation for the 4 event chain that occurs there).For Maguuma Jungle, players can choose between Sparkfly Fen and Mount Maelstrom.For Ascalon, players could choose from Blazeridge Steppes, Iron Marches, and Fireheart Rise.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the daily event achievement seems to be stuck in the 1-15 zones lately?

Bringing back the daily dodge would be better than that dodge trap ring.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:I don't have any interest in low level content being removed from rotation.

They’re not going to add more easy dailies if the number of options were increased. If you found issues with events and dungeons then chances are you may not like the additional options.

Why? The point of dailies is player engagement. It's to get people to log in each day, and then do something. Anything more than that would just be excessive behavior control. If people enjoy doing dungeons, they can do dungeons, but it shouldn't be necessary for the core daily. It can contribute, but there should be plenty of ways around it for people who are uninterested. The dungeon one should be there for people who go in thinking "which dungeon should I do today?" it should not be about nudging people into doing a dungeon that are generally disinterested.

As for events, I've always just found that objective way too fiddly, because they still haven't figured out a way to fix the UI to show active events all over the map, or to indicate how close they are to finishing, or how much participation is in them. If you aren't lucky, you can roam a map for an hour and not find enough completable quests, or the ones you do find are of the lame, grindy variety. When GW2 events are good, and well attended, they can be a lot of fun, but when you are pressured into deliberately seeking them out, it can get really annoying.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Why? The point of dailies is player engagement. It's to get people to log in each day, and then
do something.
Anything more than that would just be excessive behavior control. If people enjoy doing dungeons, they can do dungeons, but it shouldn't be necessary for the core daily. It can contribute, but there should be plenty of ways around it for people who are uninterested. The dungeon one should be there for people who go in thinking "
which
dungeon should I do today?" it should not be about nudging people into doing a dungeon that are generally disinterested.

As for events, I've always just found that objective way too fiddly, because they
still
haven't figured out a way to fix the UI to show active events all over the map, or to indicate how close they are to finishing, or how much participation is in them. If you aren't lucky, you can roam a map for an hour and not find enough completable quests, or the ones you do find are of the lame, grindy variety. When GW2 events are good, and well attended, they can be a lot of fun, but when you are pressured into deliberately seeking them out, it can get really annoying.

What if I don’t feel like doing events, gathering, vistas, world’s bosses, and jumping puzzles. Should Anet add more choices to suit my personal gameplay? Players have a choice as to whether to do the daily or not. If they choose to limit themselves then that’s on them. Players are given twelve options every day and they only need to complete three. That’s plenty.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:What if I don’t feel like doing events, gathering, vistas, world’s bosses, and jumping puzzles. Should Anet add more choices to suit my personal gameplay?

Ideally they should have a wide variety of activities that their players enjoy doing. You're obviously asserting a slippery slope argument here, and I get that, but the key with any slippery slope is good footwear. Stop when it's crazy, and not a moment before.

Players are given twelve options every day and they only need to complete three. That’s plenty.

But only four of those choices are at all PvE, so if you don't WvW or PvP then you can only dismiss one of them. Further, given that often two or more of the available options fall into the "inconvenient waste of time" category, like "run Arah" or "do a bounty," there are just some days it's not worth even bothering.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Players are given twelve options every day and they only need to complete three. That’s plenty.

But only four of those choices are at all PvE, so if you don't WvW or PvP then you can only dismiss one of them. Further, given that often two or more of the available options fall into the "inconvenient waste of time" category, like "run Arah" or "do a bounty," there are just some days it's not worth even bothering.

Actually most of the WvW achieves are PvE too.

@Coulter.2315 said:Actually most of the WvW achieves are PvE too.

They may not involve killing other players but they take place within the WvW space. They involve engaging with the WvW game type. I haven't entered the WvW maps in about a year now, and hope to continue that streak indefinitely.

On occasion I venture into the WvW zone to complete my daily achievements, doing simple things like turning in some badges for Big Spender, reclaiming areas for Camp Capturer, or killing a Veteran Beast. Sometimes I'm fortunate enough to catch a Zerg on a rampage and that's when it really gets fun.I digress ...

Doing more things in level appropriate zones allows players more choices on how they want to play.It may even ease computational scaling of events in certain areas (less server lag).

Archived