Help with Holosmith

SoulGuardian.6203

Alright.

I'm going to be completely honest and straight foward, so I don't beat around the bush.

I don't like Holosmith.

I don't like anything about it except the cool sword moves.

I had to choose holo for the simple matter of RPG purposes.

There's no other class that fits the character I am trying to recreate, due precisely because of that sword.

I don't use Photon forge for the same reasons. 

I'm sorry holo hardcore users, this is not meant as an insult in any way, shape, or form; but I find it ridiculous. 

So, what's the next best thing?

In order to get some decent damage and survivability out of this ES, without using any of its Utility Skills or Photon Forge; what runes and Sigils do you recommend? 

I'm in Silverwastes right now, and it's taking me treble or 4 times longer to kill a simple Earth Elemental.

I'm using Explosives, Alchemy, and offcourse Holosmith. 

Superior Runes of Balthazar. 

Soldier's Stats on Armour.

Greaving on weapons.

I'm getting nothing out of this guy.

Where is the highest drop in Tyria?

Due to already having a Mechanist, and a Scrapper/Core Engies, this dude has to be holo due to the sword or will end up deleting him again for the 20th time.

I'm not really in the mood for that and would like to keep him as holo despite all the cons.

So please help me out here.

Otherwise, what is the closest thing to medium armor, and sword class?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

If you dont like the photon forge, then you might as well not play holosmith at all. Its whole design is about building up heat. If you dont use it, you are essentially using a dead traitline. Thats like playing reaper without going in reaper shroud. Or never entering berserk mode as berserker. Why would you do that?

Sword class with medium armor is not an ideal combination in your case. A good sword user is either revenant or weaver which are heavy/light armor.

Edited by anbujackson.9564
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

So please help me out here.

Otherwise, what is the closest thing to medium armor, and sword class?

Thanks in advance. 

SO much of the power of the Holosmith traitline is focused in Photon Forge that I'm not sure you can make something "good" without it.  Even outside forge Holosmith's sword skills are heavily impacted by your heat level.  If you're willing to break your rule slightly and charge up some heat that would help a LOT.  If you go with Photonic Blasting Module your heat level remains constant, so you can charge it up above 50% to get your bonus effects and then never touch it again until you die.  From there Explosives and Firearms are a must for damage with the modifiers and such in explosives and 30% crit chance in firearms.  I'm going to assume you're not interested in kits if the aesthetics matter so much? if so Rifle Turret (mainly toolbelt skill) and Throw Mine utilities are good damage, not sure if you have a plan for those slots or not.

Soulbeast and Thief can both use sword effectively as well, far from optimal, but might be better than Holosmith with the limitations you're placing on it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I'm sorry holo hardcore users, this is not meant as an insult in any way, shape, or form; but I find it ridiculous. 

That's Ok, I find you ridiculous too.

I'm getting nothing out of this guy.

Probably because you have rejected 60% of the class.

Soldier's Stats on Armour.

Greaving on weapons.

Trying to go hybrid? Celestial.

Assuming you're running kits.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAwqlFwqYdMLWKWqTZvNA-zxIY1op/MSQCkpiQxHgw1MvFe/tAA-e

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAw6lFwqYaMLWKOSTZvNA-zxIY1op/MyUR0rEQxHgw1MvFe/tAA-e

The biggest issue is that Holosmith wasn't designed to be used without its forge so you're going to struggle regardless.

Edited by SleepyBat.9034

To find out just how effective your chosen playstyle can be, play your Mechanist in a zone, say, like Tangled Depths. After sending your mech away, as if you didn't have one. That experience will provide you with the data and answers you seek on the subject of playing Holosmith without using Photon Forge.

I think, if I found myself in your shoes, I'd give sword/pistol and-or sword/dagger Thief a thorough tryout. Sword Ranger is an abomination to play - just my personal take - and would get a pass.

I can wish you good luck, regardless; you're gonna need it.

Edited by Duglaive.5236
a little added clarity

If you are running a hybrid build, try rampager armor. You can buy this armor with karma if you have around 200k to spare.

Like others have said, use Photonic Blasting Module to preheat before a fight than switch off, having heat over 50% will buff your sword and holo skills. Use firearms with the Modified Ammunition trait. This will boot your damage a lot, and by not using the forge you will need it. If you do use armor like rampager, or others with no vitality, use Blast Shield from the explosive line for more survivability

Superior Runes of Balthazar is great for hybrid. I also recommend you use pistol for the blowtorch skill.

I think Holosmith is a great class and hope you don't drop him, even if you only like using half the class. Just play it the way you find the most fun.

• Thanks 1