Jump to content
  • Sign Up

does a charr main effect anything in season 5?


trunks.5249
 Share

Recommended Posts

i was wondering does being a charr change  anything if the commander is a charr in season 5? sure he or she deals more with world ending things now. that being said they still are a charr and you would  think whats going on would hit home with the commander 

Edited by trunks.5249
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It affects more than you might realise. There's some extra NPCs, some of the enemies are former members of your warband, and many lines of dialogue are recorded slightly differently (both incoming and outgoing). There's also a few hidden achievements and rewards for Charr only. Also, the episode titles, chapter names and so on are really targetting at Charr (like "Coming Home", which refers to you if Charr, or Rytlock otherwise).


Of course ,they couldn't go nuts with it, because that would be unfair to everyone else.

 

Its about the same experience that Sylvari get while playing Heart of Thorns more or less, but some of its hard to notice if you haven't played through on another race first. The main difference is that other Charr talk to you and treat you alot more seriously, since you're still in the chain of command, and only a Centurion at that.

 

It does provide a fair degree of closure on the Charr personal story, which was something that was long overdue since their early game is more complex than the other races, who typically only have a single friend they left behind instead of an entire warband (except the Human sister storyline). Asura do have a krewe which is kind of a similar concept but their society encourages not sticking with a krewe forever anyway.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After chapter 5 of the personal story, the racial sympathy chapter, the PC's race affects nothing except for dialogue. A rare exception for playing sylvari during HoT, where we get three instances of slightly changed gameplay.

Charr and norn both have unique dialogue, especially charr, in Icebrood Saga. But in the end it is just dialogue. The biggest change is your sparring partner being visible in the main camp of Drizzlewood with dialogue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You'll get some unique dialogue, and you'll find your sparring partner in Drizzlewood to catch up with, but that's mostly it.

 

Oh yeah, and there is a rare, charr-only helm that you can get in Grothmar, but that's not tied to the story itself, just something you can loot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Drizzlewood warband stuff is so contrived as to be meaningless. They picked a bunch of the quickly-forgotten nobodies from the level 10 Charr story and made them into...cache keepers, which meant nothing to 99.9% of the playerbase. Y'know, the cache keepers you have to race to get to which melt in 30seconds? They have diaries which you have to forgo joining the loot train in order to read about how they arbitrarily decided to be bad guyz.

Meanwhile Smodur, the only Charr most players might recognise, went from being level headed to GRRR THIS IS WAR I HAVE HORMONES.

  • Like 5
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2022 at 2:36 PM, LSD.4673 said:

Meanwhile Smodur, the only Charr most players might recognise, went from being level headed to GRRR THIS IS WAR I HAVE HORMONES.

Yes, that's quite sad. Smodur from S2 was a charr one could respect. The IBS one . . . 🤬

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Harfang.1507 said:

Yes, that's quite sad. Smodur from S2 was a charr one could respect. The IBS one . . . 🤬

SPOILERS FOR LWS2 AND ICEBROOD SAGA

Eh, the guy had like ten lines of dialogue between Personal Story and LWS2 and for the most part he's always kind of a jerk to the player, and before you're the Pact Commander he literally just tells you to get lost. There's only a few occasions where he's even remotely nice to a Charr player and that's only after significant victories where the player is actually worthy of his praise.

 

In the often-cited LWS2 episode, he still talks to the Charr player like they're just a lowly scrapper (we're a Centurion, the same rank as Ryland at the time of Steel and Fire), and openly mocked Rytlock's attempts to cleanse the Foefire despite Rytlock's experience.

 

We really don't know much about him beyond whats written in lore, and he also resists your attempts to form an army to fight Modremoth in LWS2, more than most of the other leaders. I think players look back on Smodur with rose-tinted glasses when all we really have is conjecture and heresay.

 

Everyone says he was a good guy, so he was a good guy, right? Because bad actors don't exist. 😛

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

SPOILERS FOR LWS2 AND ICEBROOD SAGA

Eh, the guy had like ten lines of dialogue between Personal Story and LWS2 and for the most part he's always kind of a jerk to the player, and before you're the Pact Commander he literally just tells you to get lost. There's only a few occasions where he's even remotely nice to a Charr player and that's only after significant victories where the player is actually worthy of his praise.

 

In the often-cited LWS2 episode, he still talks to the Charr player like they're just a lowly scrapper (we're a Centurion, the same rank as Ryland at the time of Steel and Fire), and openly mocked Rytlock's attempts to cleanse the Foefire despite Rytlock's experience.

 

We really don't know much about him beyond whats written in lore, and he also resists your attempts to form an army to fight Modremoth in LWS2, more than most of the other leaders. I think players look back on Smodur with rose-tinted glasses when all we really have is conjecture and heresay.

 

Everyone says he was a good guy, so he was a good guy, right? Because bad actors don't exist. 😛

I think you're badly missing the point about where many of us feel Smodur was mishandled in IBS.

I never (and I think most complainers agree) liked Smodur because he was ever nice to the PC. Or nice to anyone, really. It came down to a sense of pragmatism. He seemed to care more about results (for himself, or his Legion) than anything else. I'll have to go back and review most instances of our interaction with him, but I think most of his dismissiveness comes from his doubt that he'd get results out of the proposed action, or that said results would actually be meaningful or helpful. His resistance to the Pact is much the same - able bodied charr were going to be taken from his ranks, and for what? Something that nobody really had any clue would get results?

I actually like Smodur's boiling-over impatience in IBS. He was 100% right about Ryland not coming back around, and Crecia was being 100% misguided in attempting parlays, hostage exchange, etc. Summary executions of deserters is standard military practice for as long as standard military practice existed. Killing research and support personnel is just smart warfare. For a charr who prizes results over all else, the no-holds-barred approach he has in IBS is consistent with his character.

What I don't like is how the rest of the dialogue and narrative attempts to portray him as pretty much a war criminal. I feel that perspective is very much due to the studio's political leanings, and it disrespects IRL reality as well as the charr concept as a whole. Obviously this is ANet's story, they are completely free to do as they please with it. I am equally free to believe their choices were stupid and to say so.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...