The bandwagon problem. These links are going to be garbo

jul.7602

I know everybody is excited about relinks, but I'm just going to reset the expectations by saying that they will probably be very garbage to start out with. The way Anet matches linked servers with host servers literally doesn't make any sense. Whenever the links are announced, a significant amount of guilds transfer to a different server which completely changes the population/coverage statistics of the given pair. Thus the entire equilibrium is distorted and we have goliath servers, a few dead servers, and massive mismatches. Link servers don't work in this game because the players can't help but to abuse the system for their benefit, at the expense of the wider health of the game mode.

A shining example of this abuse is a certain Person. We all know the person I'm talking about, so there is no need for me to even men say his name. I find it pretty ironic because he was talking big about joining the next underdog and wanting to help the little guy out; yet he choses to transfer to the most bloated pair (ET/IoJ) to make the match ups even worse for the rest of the game community. When all is said and done, nobody can really take this match-making system seriously; even on a basic conceptual level it doesn't make any sense.

Maguuma Commander and Chief of Police

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 6

You actually have some good points but can't be trusted to talk about the "wider health of the game mode" when you come from the most detrimental server for WvW.  Enjoy your favoritism and kitten. Your new link idolizes your server to play every mode destroying tactic you embrace.  Clean your own house to gain any credibility, "Mr policeman " 🙄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

They should just stop with links until alliances.

Pick 12 host, pick 12 links, put them together for one last time, lasting until alliances.

Flat 2000 transfer fee, no more different price per level, until full.

Just stop with the server mixing every relink because it's a kitten joke and does nothing for balance anyways at this point, and they're just encouraging more destruction of communities whatever is left of it.

Like seriously, why even try to balance servers now when alliances is being worked on? for what purpose? winning means nothing, being the winner of t1 means nothing, we're just here to be entertained until the new system is finished.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jul.7602 said:

I know everybody is excited about relinks, but I'm just going to reset the expectations by saying that they will probably be very garbage to start out with. The way Anet matches linked servers with host servers literally doesn't make any sense. Whenever the links are announced, a significant amount of guilds transfer to a different server which completely changes the population/coverage statistics of the given pair.

You are 100% correct, and we've all had the same thoughts donkey's years ago.

Alliances will save us all soon™, some time in the distant future ... when we've all evolved into some other creature.

But seriously, no. Nothing will be done.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tiagoht.7549 said:

Idk why they don't block transfers for a few weeks after relink.

Because it would solve nothing.

They would still transfer if it's cheap and they want to.

In fact it may even be worse because you then have servers tanking in the middle of the linking period because those movements happened weeks after and not just before the relink.

• Haha 1

Links give people hope for better time next time.

We had good system, now all we have is hope.. It is unfortunate that links exists at all, but I guess they just weren't strong enough to press the delete button on the dead servers.

The main issue is that every 2 months there is this linking then  a server or 2 skyrocket from lowest tier to tier 1 wnning every skirmish. And another server drops from tier 1 to lowest tier. So first 3 weeks are either boring or dead and you just log out until next relinking.

Edited by Riba.3271

9 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Like seriously, why even try to balance servers now when alliances is being worked on? for what purpose? winning means nothing, being the winner of t1 means nothing, we're just here to be entertained until the new system is finished.

when we have alliances, you will explain to me well what will be the meaning of winning or losing, I will be really curious. but I don't want to talk about that. you ask why we should improve something or try to improve something with the current system? and I answer you why we should not give a little more fun to everyone in this game mode. Alliances could be hard work for development and could still take a long time.

you should join and ask for it too. anet while carrying out this great alliance project, organized, not 1 or 2 but plans a series of small changes that all go in the same direction, to control and improve the balance, stimulate the interest of the players because they see small things change. the result is more fun for everyone. you have to think about it and you have to think about it now. players would need this mode now.

you don't have to listen to me. you can only ask around, do you have many reference players you can trust? here you ask them , and maybe you will understand that mine is good advice.

11 hours ago, jul.7602 said:

I believe you have completely misunderstood or wrong mode. this is wvw around here you don't see cops, it's gang looking for the brawl there is always someone ready to stab you in the back and make you out. like those dark basements fightclub style . illicit bets of mmo fights. players in uniform are never seen and should avoid this mode . better if you go to pve trust me.😉

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, jul.7602 said:

I know everybody is excited about relinks, but I'm just going to reset the expectations by saying that they will probably be very garbage to start out with. The way Anet matches linked servers with host servers literally doesn't make any sense. Whenever the links are announced, a significant amount of guilds transfer to a different server which completely changes the population/coverage statistics of the given pair. Thus the entire equilibrium is distorted and we have goliath servers, a few dead servers, and massive mismatches. Link servers don't work in this game because the players can't help but to abuse the system for their benefit, at the expense of the wider health of the game mode.

A shining example of this abuse is a certain Person. We all know the person I'm talking about, so there is no need for me to even men say his name. I find it pretty ironic because he was talking big about joining the next underdog and wanting to help the little guy out; yet he choses to transfer to the most bloated pair (ET/IoJ) to make the match ups even worse for the rest of the game community. When all is said and done, nobody can really take this match-making system seriously; even on a basic conceptual level it doesn't make any sense.

Well said. Lets unite all of the WvW community and fight against this malicious "Destroyer of WvW"!

To arms, my brothers and sisters!

Bring down this tyranny!

Trainee of Maguuma WvW Chief of Police

(Bed, Bath and Beyond Mall Policewoman)

Edited by April.4765
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

15 hours ago, jul.7602 said:

I speak for all of mag when I say. We don’t claim this idiot as one of our own.  

have a magical day.

obs

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, jul.7602 said:

A shining example of this abuse is a certain Person. We all know the person I'm talking about, so there is no need for me to even men say his name. I find it pretty ironic because he was talking big about joining the next underdog and wanting to help the little guy out; yet he choses to transfer to the most bloated pair (ET/IoJ) to make the match ups even worse for the rest of the game community. 

You can simply refer to him by his nickname, Destroyer of Servers. Sadly it looks like IoJ will eventually suffer the same fate as SBI and DR (SoS will likely escape the destruction due to their SEA population).

2 hours ago, Zorp.3926 said:

Implying that SBI and DR weren't already dead to begin with. Interesting. SoS is pretty dead too. Literal zombies.

Granted they weren't exactly thriving, but certainly weren't dead. Indo arrived there to 'rescue' the servers, whilst vacuuming up whatever decent pugs remained. Once he left he took all the decent pugs with him and any sort of community infrastructure that was left was destroyed. Not much different than a vulture tbh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, LetoII.3782 said:

You have to admit, Indo on Mags link would totally be worth the price of admission just for the /t.

I still fondly recall when he sent Eldsvada for a looksee xD

Julian was actually in Indo's "server" for the last alliance beta. Saw him once, never again for that entire week.

47 minutes ago, LetoII.3782 said:

You have to admit, Indo on Mags link would totally be worth the price of admission just for the /t.

I still fondly recall when he sent Eldsvada for a looksee xD

tbh i'd not want to see either on any of my links. maguuma is a pointless server and should just be perma unlinked, indo is... not my problem but has too many people, not fond of dealing with his home cooked queues
___

on the EU side, our linkings are just outright horrible. like we planned to transfer off from our current server again bc it had at every primetime four (!) mapqueues of 20-40, which makes the game kinda unplayable

now, we got paired with a pointless server and it's absurdly hard to find a server to xfer off to again.

and again, i am beyond words mad on arenanet that they take this long with alliances. the gamemode is about to die since years and they just do 50 betas, one every half year... people are disappointed and mad by now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, jul.7602 said:

Granted they weren't exactly thriving, but certainly weren't dead. Indo arrived there to 'rescue' the servers, whilst vacuuming up whatever decent pugs remained. Once he left he took all the decent pugs with him and any sort of community infrastructure that was left was destroyed. Not much different than a vulture tbh.

lol. orly? Um,  yeah they were on SBI and recruited some but...no they didn't really change the base of SBI. The guilds that were there before were the same that were there after. On SoR I saw what you meant back when SoR was in T1 and their entrance and exit was nothing like that. Sorry but can't support any ideas that a guild came in and drained SBI during that transition. No we have been bleeding people over time but one guild is not to blame, its more like natural game decay with stale changes to the game mode.