Returning Player - Condi Weaver

Wentworth.6901

I've returned to the game after ~3 years, playing my main which is a weaver. I previously got ascended vipers equipment and played sword/dagger condi weaver. I've looked up what builds look like now on Metabattle (following this currently), but I'd also like to hear from the community what people think of condi weaver now (playing open world for now, will do fractals and likely strikes). What are the best weapons to use? Apparently scepter is a condi thing now, is that or sword preferred? If I am playing sword, what is the reason to play focus over dagger? Thanks for any help, excited to be back!

Focus gives you much better defense than dagger, for one.  On the other hand, the max DPS raid builds for condi also use focus, so I guess those big power hits on dagger offhand aren't a major factor in overall damage output for condi weaver.

I imagine you can use any weapon and do just fine with condi weaver currently, but sword or dagger are probably better in terms of solo survival due to being designed to survive at close range (i.e. extra evades and barrier in the rotation).  Staff and scepter are ranged, but in order to keep up on damage you probably won't be able to kite very effectively so your defense will suffer.

I personally prefer condi sword/focus.  It may have the lowest benchmark currently among condi builds, but for solo play the damage and sustain are still excellent.  It's especially strong with the new masteries providing boons you'd normally only see in group play, which pumps your damage up to the point where open world champions (e.g. HoT champs) melt in 20-30 seconds in solo play.  Like in this clip, for example.

Dagger OH is not good in condi builds. Its not terrible, but it mostly scales of power (aside from earth 5, fire 4). But the sad truth is that focus can deal more condi dmg with fire 4 (+aura transmute) and fire 5. And focus has a nice bonus of good cc and decent utility (projectile block, condi cleanse, projectile reflect and obsidian flesh). 

Btw u need to realise that when i say "more dps" i mean a couple of k more (2-3k), which is somewhat 10%. 

Scepter/focus is currently the way to go, decent dps, easier rotation and quite reliable due to it being ranged. Ele isn't the preferred dps pick for most strikes/fractals or raids, but you'll manage. 

Sword/focus or dagger/focus and staff have got good dps potential aswell but have intricate rotations with major dps dropoff in suboptimal scenarios. 

• Thanks 1

I run sword/dagger on my main as well, and it works just fine for me as a solo build. It's a bit of a hybrid stat abomination but it's able to solo just about anything in the main story or open world short of a meta-event boss or instanced group content, and I personally find that the dagger OH offers plenty enough survivability in the form of extra movement, you just have less room for mistakes. I personally have mine set up so that I am constantly getting either barrier or regeneration. Final Shielding took a nasty nerf bat to the kneecap recently but it still works and I don't really notice any major decrease in survivability over Focus. (unless I stop moving. It is a very evasion heavy build) so really the biggest factor should be which playstyle you find more fun to play. For me personally, I just find Focus to be a tad bit boring, while sword/dagger is much more in-your-face high speed gameplay that is right up my ally, and I always like finding a fellow Sword/Dagger enjoyer.