Returning Player: Mesmer or Scrapper

frey.5392

Hey folks!

Returning player here and I am enjoying it a lot so far (after a 4 year hiatus or so). I am currently playing a condi Mirage and are planning to get ritualist gear when i reach EoD to make a staffalac build. It's quite fun since I really love the mesmer theme. That being said however, I also boosted an Engineer to max and want him to be a Scrapper, because I really dig the theme of that elite spec. Now I am not sure which class to use for group content. Mesmer has been my main so far (did the majority of stories with her) but Scrapper seems to provide a lot of utility for groups (my playgroup consists of new and returing players). I also heared about the Scrapper gyro changes and how it kinda kitten their fast-paced playstyle, can anyone speak up on that? Being a "fast and aggressive" class kinda drew me into the idea of Scrapper in the first place. 

I also usually like to focus on one character for the majority of time instead of switching too often, so I guess this questions expands on all the game modes overall. 

Cheers

Edited by frey.5392

If it is for wvw id say try a chrono condi suport, ritualist gear, staff, and id say scepter and shield but focus and sword are good too.

As for pve id say look at snow crows or other pages like that, its good and even if you dont like it can be used as reference.

For scrapper, its usable, but in wvw the sneak gyro nerf did much dmg, and for pve you have better options, even then, you can use it and do a good job, just now its its turn to be in the "just usable" tier.

10 hours ago, frey.5392 said:

Hey folks!

Returning player here and I am enjoying it a lot so far (after a 4 year hiatus or so). I am currently playing a condi Mirage and are planning to get ritualist gear when i reach EoD to make a staffalac build. It's quite fun since I really love the mesmer theme. That being said however, I also boosted an Engineer to max and want him to be a Scrapper, because I really dig the theme of that elite spec. Now I am not sure which class to use for group content. Mesmer has been my main so far (did the majority of stories with her) but Scrapper seems to provide a lot of utility for groups (my playgroup consists of new and returing players). I also heared about the Scrapper gyro changes and how it kinda kitten their fast-paced playstyle, can anyone speak up on that? Being a "fast and aggressive" class kinda drew me into the idea of Scrapper in the first place. 

I also usually like to focus on one character for the majority of time instead of switching too often, so I guess this questions expands on all the game modes overall. 

Cheers

The scrapper changes were for wvw, and the changes of targeted wells were cancelled, so nothing changed but the cooldowns, plus the added bonus of superspeed at first pulse instead of final pulse for gyros with trait. Sneak gyro got hit the hardest, but that hardly makes them useless or kitten now, and still far more wanted for groups over a mesmer, which are also still wanted in groups but you don't need more than a couple for a zerg for their utility, and mostly chronos.

For pve play whatever you enjoy. There's a pve focused balance patch next month, highly doubt either is going to get hit with a nerf stick.

On 10/8/2022 at 1:30 AM, frey.5392 said:

Hey folks!

Cheers

Scrapper/Engi is what I would suggest. Mesmer kinda sucks in many many ways tbh. Engi is strong in every way Mesmer is weak. I spent 6k hours on my mesmer and cannot be bothered to use it in the last few years. I pay allot of scrapper and holo tho in raids, fractals, wvw. Its WAY WAY better and more fun. Mesmer sucks outside Openworld and a few niche things tbh. Anet nerfs the kitten out of Anything good Mesmer gets then just leaves it cause they dont like to balance it.

Scrapper was only slightly tuned in wvw. I think maybe the zerg builds took a hit but if you are not running a heal support scrapper I dont think anything changed for those builds. They arguably got improvements.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/8/2022 at 3:29 AM, zaswer.5246 said:

If it is for wvw id say try a chrono condi suport, ritualist gear, staff, and id say scepter and shield but focus and sword are good too.

As for pve id say look at snow crows or other pages like that, its good and even if you dont like it can be used as reference.

For scrapper, its usable, but in wvw the sneak gyro nerf did much dmg, and for pve you have better options, even then, you can use it and do a good job, just now its its turn to be in the "just usable" tier.

The sneak gyro is situational at worst. Its much better now cause you can throw a revive on a player without needing to stand on them.

Scrapper is super easy to maintain dps on, it has tons of utility offers easy quickness dps or pure dps. I would argue the average player will get better numbers just running a Power DPS scrapper even tho its not meta vs meta of the DPS builds people try to run because scrapper is SO simple and reliable vs others. While Mesmer has a VERY hard time maintaining good dps, takes allot of skill and constant practice and then things get nerfed and it 100% changes like function key abilities are removed and added back, an entire dodge was removed from Mirage. No comparison. Mesmer is not good compared to Engi.

Edited by Moradorin.6217

Both mesmer and scrapper (or engie in general) are in a decent spot right now. They aren't top tier in SPvP (atleast before the October 4th balance patch) but can get pretty close to it. In WvW, open world and instanced PvE both mesmer and engineer are meta right now. 

Engineer is currently the most versatile profession since its able to provide decent quick and alac support with damage/heals. No other class is able to all 5 roles to the degree that engineer can provide. Its therefore an excellent choice if you're looking for a single character to main. (Ofcourse scrapper is only limited to dps/ dpsquick/healquick so that limits it abit if you dont want to use mechanist). 

Honestly just pick whatever floats your boat. They're both in a good spot right now. 

• Confused 2