Opinions on Spellbreaker

Sahne.6950

One is nay, but it kind of scales in conquest? Imagine a teamfight with two spellbreakers, someone will always proc full counter, they shake each other off and pressuring one doesn't make much sense as they have enough movement to just disengage. Not so sure as to how viable it is, but it sounds obnoxious.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695

In what context? Talking about a conquest dps build below.

It works well enough in unranked, where all sorts of meh builds run around. Its strong for side noding, it can do decently in a team fight when the opponents are not that good. It doesn't do that well against tempest supports (or even guard supports) due to the amount of disruption (shock aura hurts as you have no good stab, aegis in the case of guards).

I don't think there is a 1v1 matchup where you objectively lose, you either win or its a draw. Though a draw means you cant take a node (e.g. from a good fireweaver or a condi mesmer, previously also bladesworn). If you are in control of the node... usually you can keep the control (though extremely hard against good condi mesmers). And if the node is contested you should be able to contest it indefinitely (as long as its 1v1, of course).

2v1 you can survive most of the time (giving up the node), there are some cases where the opponents can teleport and/or CC very aggressively... if you don't recognize the situation fast enough you are toast. And ofc there is still the chance a DD thief shows up and +1s you and you die before you know it.

I wouldn't go into ranked with it, at least not in plat games. From my experience you can hold your own until p2, after that you are just a liability (before you were liability but you could try-hard into doing something for your team). Of course you can always just be a god and play whatever you want, including spb.

Its not easy to play though, in most situations. You need solid knowledge for every matchup, especially thief. There is very little cushion for mistakes, if your opponent is good.

Last few days I've seen more variance of the spb builds I've fought, but so far I've not seen a better one than the "meta" str dagger build. IMO its still the most versatile one. Could of course be just me, I'm comfortable with the mirror matchup. The recent buffs to war do a bit for the build, but nothing spectacular.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 2

Thanks for the insight.

Didnt really have alot of time to play in the last few days. The one day that i could play, i was fighting a pretty good Spb.

He was running a version with defensive and eagle rune. I could not win a single duell against him.

Previously SPB was a tough matchup for my tempest, but defo winnable. I was also stomping most SPB´s in the FFA... but this one guy... would just straight up delete me.

59 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

Previously SPB was a tough matchup for my tempest, but defo winnable. I was also stomping most SPB´s in the FFA... but this one guy... would just straight up delete me.

When dueling ele, at least in conquest/spvp the spb should have the long-term advantage (against any ele build, if its 1v1).

But it usually takes minutes to kill or push the ele off the node. I've had 3-4+ min duels on a node against an ele, where I can't push them off until I kill them... so a net loss for my team. A good ele can also push me off node, depending on mistakes I make, and get the node contested (catalyst especially, it seems to vomit out a lot of strong aoe dmg that can cover the node).

Losing duels to a spb in the arena should not be that important, what you probably want in a conquest game is to stall the spb indefinitely either while keeping the node or while contesting it. Every minute you 1v1 the spb on a contested node (or even, a node in your control) is a minute your team (if intelligent) won't try to 2v1 the spb on home (which is almost always the best way you contribute to your team as a dps spb). From my experience if the enemy team has one of those prince of the arena or higher spbs (the only ones you need to worry about realistically), your best bet is to 1v1 them and tell your team to go elsewhere, making sure the node they are on is contested most of the time. Or if your team is really good, a coordinated CC and nuke 2v1 to get them down; but that usually means the spb didn't see the +1 coming, so thief that the spb didn't anticipate coming.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Confused 1

I've been playing hammer/gs spellbreaker with defense/discipline traitlines, it's very fun in team fights and if your team is decent at focusing targets you can pin almost anyone down with CC chains for almost guaranteed kills. All in all, its a very disruptive class to play in team fights.

That said, I don't know how well it'll scale in mid-high plat, just hit Gold 3. I haven't played PvP in years (used to be consistently plat) and just recently got back in due to WvW roaming getting really frustrating in last week's matchup (Mag degenerates!).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, devastoscz.9851 said:

I've been playing hammer/gs spellbreaker with defense/discipline traitlines, it's very fun in team fights and if your team is decent at focusing targets you can pin almost anyone down with CC chains for almost guaranteed kills. All in all, its a very disruptive class to play in team fights.

That said, I don't know how well it'll scale in mid-high plat, just hit Gold 3. I haven't played PvP in years (used to be consistently plat) and just recently got back in due to WvW roaming getting really frustrating in last week's matchup (Mag degenerates!).

Yeah, I think there is some potential with that build. It's pretty fun, and definitely a different playstyle from many of the other warrior builds that have been in style the past few years.

Like you, I have doubts about its usefulness in really high level play. It doesn't do enough well on its own, imo, compared to something like herald or specter that can be all over the place, has good mix of dmg and utility, etc. Hammer SpB is hard countered by stability, and most of its damage depends on CCing the target first. So it's more of a "set up kills for my teammates" build rather than a bruiser like Bladesworn which doesn't have the absurd CC output but is more versatile. For this reason, hammer SpB also isn't a great pick for solo queue since you can't count on your teammates to work well enough with you to make the most of your CC. 

But... It's still so much fun. Definitely worth it to play, even if just for a change of pace. 

Edited by CalmTheStorm.2364

12 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Yeah, I think there is some potential with that build. It's pretty fun, and definitely a different playstyle from many of the other warrior builds that have been in style the past few years.

Like you, I have doubts about its usefulness in really high level play. It doesn't do enough well on its own, imo, compared to something like herald or specter that can be all over the place, has good mix of dmg and utility, etc. Hammer SpB is hard countered by stability, and most of its damage depends on CCing the target first. So it's more of a "set up kills for my teammates" build rather than a bruiser like Bladesworn which doesn't have the absurd CC output but is more versatile. For this reason, hammer SpB also isn't a great pick for solo queue since you can't count on your teammates to work well enough with you to make the most of your CC. 

But... It's still so much fun. Definitely worth it to play, even if just for a change of pace. 

problem with that build is teams usually bring support which would provide aoe stability and this build would become useless.

and become defense less, with only 1 endure pain and full counter in team fight is not good.

My only real gripe with spellbreaker, and idk if this is on my end or just something that will always happen, but it's when they glitch out and, they're constantly surrounded by glowing golden shards.

Always.

All the time.

I can't tell what they're even doing when this bug happens because they're like a mini sun, so all of their animations become unreadable to me.

BLINDING.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Goldilock.2584 said:

Support war literally has taken role of core grd in ranked. Its just more impactful. None of u have even released so most must be on na. Tempest still king on 5v5 at but war is king support now for ranked. 

Warr gets hard punished when focused not to mention its huge weakness to ranged damage. It also is too slow to keep up with moving allies. 

Banners feel better than shouts and you dont need to invest in healing power for them. 

4 hours ago, Waffles.5632 said:

My only real gripe with spellbreaker, and idk if this is on my end or just something that will always happen, but it's when they glitch out and, they're constantly surrounded by glowing golden shards.

Always.

All the time.

I can't tell what they're even doing when this bug happens because they're like a mini sun, so all of their animations become unreadable to me.

BLINDING.

kitten yes, I get to explain the Forever bug again.
So you see Full counter is actually reskinned Protector's Strike from Guard Mace and so it inherits a bug that existed from the start of the game where the animation gets stuck for everyone else. 
One could assume they would have fixed it when SpB was THE CURRENT CONTENT but they didn't so it the bug will stay maybe till they copy paste Protector's Strike again, maybe then they will be willing to isolate the cause of the bug then but I don't think they will bother.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vancho.8750 said:

kitten yes, I get to explain the Forever bug again.
So you see Full counter is actually reskinned Protector's Strike from Guard Mace and so it inherits a bug that existed from the start of the game where the animation gets stuck for everyone else. 
One could assume they would have fixed it when SpB was THE CURRENT CONTENT but they didn't so it the bug will stay maybe till they copy paste Protector's Strike again, maybe then they will be willing to isolate the cause of the bug then but I don't think they will bother.

All attacks that have a channel with visuals that loop have a chance to do it. FC just happens to be used very often which contributes to higher chances for it to bug.

I've seen it happen with Mesmer GS AA and many Elementalist skills before, fixing this type of desync may require more work than it's worth.

Edited by Shao.7236

New Defense is good and wins a lot of match ups that Str doesn't. That being said your DPS is a lot less and you dodge less. You heal for a lot more and conditions aren't so bad. You can beat almost any 1v1 if you play it right because the things that hard shut you down only slightly shut you down now. The change to SIO makes you even more gankable which was sidenode wars biggest problem prechange. People who say it loses to Cata or BS didn't play it well enough because it legit counters them both prechange. I'm grateful for the change. It's not so strong that it will get nerfed immediately. The stab on CC needs reduced or a higher GCD. The weakness spam, adrenal, and ire changes are goated. 

Edited by Tycura.1982
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pati.2438 said:

@felix.2386 Did you just play it once for yourself? Cause its just all but not even close useless xD. Just give it a try yourself 😜

The Build 

i played it in plat, i never make any opinion until i personally tried.

sure, it can be decent or even pretty good at your level, i have no doubt about that, but that's it

specially this version you posted, is not very optimized either

Edited by felix.2386
  • Like 2