Do I need to change settings or upgrade something in my PC?

So I constantly drop below 60 fps especially in cities or grouped content. My computer is a few years old, so trying to figure out if I should upgrade or if it’s a GW2 setting or something. 

Specs:

i7-8700K 3.7GHz

16GB DDR4

GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

The game is installed on my SSD also, so just want to see what I need to do to run better. 

43 minutes ago, SourPatchBruhs.5142 said:

So I constantly drop below 60 fps especially in cities or grouped content. My computer is a few years old, so trying to figure out if I should upgrade or if it’s a GW2 setting or something. 

Specs:

i7-8700K 3.7GHz

16GB DDR4

GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

The game is installed on my SSD also, so just want to see what I need to do to run better. 

Gw2´s engie is pretty old.

It wont even use all of your available CPU cores.... 

The issue is the gw2 engine itself and not related to your Hardware. Your Hardware is more than capable to run gw2.

There is a Addon called "dx912". This did boost my FPS in crowded places by roughly 10 fps. 

weirdly, the game runs smoother for me on medium to high settings, compared to everything on low.

I am by no means an expert, but here is my settings:

Animation High | Antialising None | Environment High | LOD Distance Medium - High  | Textures High | Rendersampling Nativ| Disable Shadows | Shaders Medium (high if u dont mind everything looking blurry] | Post procesing None | Disable reflections   | Charactermodel limit Low | Character model Quality Medium | Disable all the "tick fields" besides Effect LOD, effect LOD will boost performance.

I use these settings and they give me the best balance between performance and a good looking game.

But even with a beasty pc and every setting done right, its near impossible to keep your FPS above 60 at all times, especially in crowded places.

Any PC that is on the "low" to "medium-low" side when it comes to performance will struggle to maintain 25+ fps during metas.....   😄

Hope that helps.

Edited by Sahne.6950

17 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

The issue is the gw2 engine itself and not related to your Hardware. Your Hardware is more than capable to run gw2.

There is a Addon called "dx912". This did boost my FPS in crowded places by roughly 10 fps. 

weirdly, the game runs smoother for me on medium to high settings, compared to everything on low.

I am by no means an expert, but here is my settings:

Animation High | Antialising None | Environment High | LOD Distance Medium - High  | Textures High | Rendersampling Nativ| Disable Shadows | Shaders Medium (high if u dont mind everything looking blurry] | Post procesing None | Disable reflections   | Charactermodel limit Low | Character model Quality Medium | Disable all the "tick fields" besides Effect LOD, effect LOD will boost performance.

I use these settings and they give me the best balance between performance and a good looking game.

But even with a beasty pc and every setting done right, its near impossible to keep your FPS above 60 at all times, especially in crowded places.

Any PC that is on the "low" to "medium-low" side when it comes to performance will struggle to maintain 25+ fps during metas.....   😄

Hope that helps.

just set my settings up like that. I’m in mistlock and mostly staying in high 50s, occasionally getting low 60s. As I’m typing this, I teleported into Lion’s Arch and am sitting at 55-57 fps

2 minutes ago, SourPatchBruhs.5142 said:

just set my settings up like that. I’m in mistlock and mostly staying in high 50s, occasionally getting low 60s. As I’m typing this, I teleported into Lion’s Arch and am sitting at 55-57 fps

try dx912.

minion addon manager will let you install it.

Edited by Sahne.6950

35 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

try dx912.

minion addon manager will let you install it.

I currently have it. Just not 100% sure what to set it to. I always see the black window that pops up when I’m at the character select screen just not sure if I need to change any options 

It currently says...

Current: DX9: direct3d 12 renderer via d912pxy proxy

Current DX11: stock direct3d 11 renderer

Edited by SourPatchBruhs.5142

On 10/10/2022 at 7:43 PM, Sahne.6950 said:

This is an issue in any and all game engines.  You cannot have a game run on 8 cores that will perform equally as well on 4 core machines.  If the 8 core machine has enough to process to make 8 cores worth it, it will in turn cripple anything on less than 8 cores.  Game processing doesn't go away just cos you have less powerful components, they still have to be processed.  Having a game optimized for high core counts would mean anything less than that will have a bad experience.

On 10/10/2022 at 1:43 PM, Sahne.6950 said:

This is true, but people seem to forget that those the cores actually improve too. 

Current gen CPUs (Ryzen 7000 series, soon to be Intel 13000 series) have roughly double the single core performance of the old Intel 8000 series. This doesnt translate to direct fps of course, but still.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

Character Model Limit

Character Model Quality

Those two settings being on lowest vs. highest are the difference between ~60fps and ~20 fps for me, at something with a lot of players like VB Matriarch. That's on a Ryzen 9 5950X and an RTX 3080, at 4k with pretty much all other graphics settings on maximum.

As others have said, the problem is not your hardware, it's the game engine. Even a Ryzen 9 7950X or an Intel Core i9 13900K with an RTX 4090 still wouldn't get you a consistent 60 FPS in this game with all settings on maximum, at an event with many players.