Help me decide on a profession

Whenever I take a long break from the game I like to "start fresh" with a new profession and treat it like a main.

Problem is, I never know which one to pick and I'm worried about investing time and gold into a class that may turn out to be a "trap" later on. There has been so many patches and rebalances while I was gone that things have probably changed and "strong" professions may have become less so now (at least that's the impression I got after reading the forums for a bit.)

For the record, I already have an Engi.

Here's the gist of things:

- PVE only (mostly solo and the occasional open-world group content later on).

- I prefer condition damage over power and I like to support a group should the need arise (heals, barrier, buffs, utility, defiance breaking, etc).

- I like AOEs. Killing a bunch of trash mobs together is fun.

- I like utility skills and some precision gaming (timing dodges/evades, stunning when enemies attack, keeping them blinded so they never hit, combo fields and blasts, ripping boons, etc).

- On and off complexity. While I like some complexity, it would be nice to get away with "simpler rotations" every once in a while... for when I'm feeling lazy.

What do you all think would be suited for me? I've got all the expansions too so feel free to suggest specific classes just for their Elite Specs.

Edited by IvoryOwl.3275

Tl;dr: you will probably be happy going necro

Much longer version:

1) Every profession is viable in pve content up to the end game. Sure some are better for the challenge mode content, but unless you are gaming at that level, there's no need to worry about something being absolutely useless. It's more important to find something that you enjoy.

2) You can take a lot of pressure off the decision by accepting that one day you will have (at least) one of every profession. Virtually every player I know has gone this route more or less. Now, if you are 8 years in and have only two character slots, you may be the exception, but I'd be surprised. The game is very alt friendly.

3) Further, the devs have said that they want each profeasion to have a viable power and condi dps spec. So even professions that don't have one now are likely to get one within the next few months (big balamce patch coming Nov I think).

4) Given your proposed criteria, condi aoe etc, I would suggest looking at Necro scourge elite spec. However, you can also build a condi berserker, firebrand, or ranger to suit that quite easily. Condi renegade also a potential option, with thief and chrono as more wildcard picks where you maye give up some of the ease of use and aoe.

• Like 3

try Revenant. I was starting him three times: 2 was as power DPS and was not doing too good (maybe I had to know it better), the last one as condi with mace/axe and I find this option as the most enjoyable (i am talking about core Rev). I am trying to progress now to Herald and as far as I know, it is offensive support which can be build both condi and power, so i think it is matching your criteria.

2 hours ago, IvoryOwl.3275 said:

Whenever I take a long break from the game I like to "start fresh" with a new profession and treat it like a main.

Problem is, I never know which one to pick and I'm worried about investing time and gold into a class that may turn out to be a "trap" later on.

You will never be happy with 1 class in the long run with this approach. At least not if you are sticking to 1 main only (unless maybe for story purposes).

There has been so many patches and rebalances while I was gone that things have probably changed and "strong" professions may have become less so now (at least that's the impression I got after reading the forums for a bit.)

Yes and there will be future patches and re-balances as well. As such no matter what you choose, eventually you WILL have to accept your class of choice becomes undesired.

The better approach in my opinion as far as GW2 is concerned, instead of always chasing "the next great thing", get to know a few classes and potentially roles (power dps, condi dps, heal support, quick dps, alac dps, etc.). Try to see which you enjoy and get different classes ready to provide those different roles.

That way, once a balance patch hits, you can still adapt rather easily. This is really not a game for "I stick with 1 main for ever and ever" approach. Unless you only want to do open world and solo content.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

Problem is, I never know which one to pick and I'm worried about investing time and gold into a class that may turn out to be a "trap" later on. There has been so many patches and rebalances while I was gone that things have probably changed and "strong" professions may have become less so now (at least that's the impression I got after reading the forums for a bit.)

For the record, I already have an Engi.

Here's the gist of things:

- PVE only (mostly solo and the occasional open-world group content later on).

- I prefer condition damage over power and I like to support a group should the need arise (heals, barrier, buffs, utility, defiance breaking, etc).

- I like AOEs. Killing a bunch of trash mobs together is fun.

- I like utility skills and some precision gaming (timing dodges/evades, stunning when enemies attack, keeping them blinded so they never hit, combo fields and blasts, ripping boons, etc).

- On and off complexity. While I like some complexity, it would be nice to get away with "simpler rotations" every once in a while... for when I'm feeling lazy.

What do you all think would be suited for me? I've got all the expansions too so feel free to suggest specific classes just for their Elite Specs.

Play Engineer. When you want to turn complexity off you go mechanist. Otherwise you play scrapper or holosmith.

• Like 1

Don't worry about "trap" classes--there's no such thing. People just complain when their strongest character becomes nerfed, which means that they have no skill and rely on base damages and newly released broken skills. For PvE particularly, play what you like, and only what you like.

I prefer thief in any game >:D It's just who I am. I prefer power, but spectre thief is great for condi dps support. All the boons that you can give, all the AOEs, and it prefers condi over power.

But, again, play what you like!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input!

I know I shouldn't worry so much about the "meta" and FOTM builds but it's hard to resist sometimes. Guess I'll try some funky builds and see what works for me. Specter looks fun, does most of what I want and I'm itching for some "chaotic" Thief gameplay at the moment so I guess I'll go for that.

Edited by IvoryOwl.3275
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1