Why does death's retreat (DE rifle 4) do damage?

FlawlezZ.3178

10 minutes ago, Loboling.5293 said:

That's a neat trick, I'll have to try this. Does it still shoot a projectile, or is no damage dealt at all?

It will partially show the animation for it, but it will not fire a projectile to my knowledge, as per most projectiles.  MAYBE if used point-blank.

You can keybind detargeting via "Lock autotarget" so long as you release the lock button immediately.

On 10/14/2022 at 8:27 PM, DeceiverX.8361 said:

Can negate this by dropping target before casting since it's a targeted projectile.

No you can not, and no it's not. The damaging attack is a 5 target melee hit, the projectile in the tooltip actually travels backward with/slightly before you to find the place it should put you at.

2 hours ago, vardeleanu.8972 said:

No you can not, and no it's not. The damaging attack is a 5 target melee hit, the projectile in the tooltip actually travels backward with/slightly before you to find the place it should put you at.

Odd.  In the few instances I've played Deadeye in the past, I've successfully been able to chain stealth via using this with kneel's smoke field by dropping target.

Generally I'm not using it within melee range, though.

1 hour ago, DeceiverX.8361 said:

Odd.  In the few instances I've played Deadeye in the past, I've successfully been able to chain stealth via using this with kneel's smoke field by dropping target.

Generally I'm not using it within melee range, though.

I think you're both right. I can still stealth off of Snipers Cover with Death's Retreat even in melee range with a DR hit, and even double DR off of Cover and target for duration. If I come into range already in stealth then the DR hit will reveal me. 

Edited by kash.9213
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 5:40 AM, kash.9213 said:

I think you're both right. I can still stealth off of Snipers Cover with Death's Retreat even in melee range with a DR hit, and even double DR off of Cover and target for duration. If I come into range already in stealth then the DR hit will reveal me. 

Kash is right. Think of death's retreat like heartseeker: it is a melee attack that moves you, is a leap so you can stealth, but if you're in stealth when you hit something with it the damage component will knock you out of stealth. The only difference really is that it's a backwards leap that looks and functions like a shadowstep when it comes to terrain. 

Edit: if you use predator, the projectile part of the skill is a lot easier to see too. 

Edited by Jugglemonkey.8741
  • Like 1