Breaching Strike Damage

oscuro.9720

Just wanted to bring this up, since I just thought of it; 

If loading damage onto Breaching Strike is considered problematic because it already strips 3 boons and is unblockable, putting high damage (about 80-85% of bugged breaching strike damage) on Aura Slicer would work as well.

Accompany that with a range buff to aura slicer to make it 450 range, and I think it would work very well, and potentially be more balanced than if the damage were loaded onto breaching.

It’s worth noting; that would make Aura Slicer a pretty much 1:1 equivalent with Guardian GS3, with each applying a utility condition and dealing heavy damage, with Aura Slicer covering less distance and only hitting 1 foe instead of 5. 

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Just wanted to bring this up, since I just thought of it; 

If loading damage onto Breaching Strike is considered problematic because it already strips 3 boons and is unblockable, putting high damage (about 80-85% of bugged breaching strike damage) on Aura Slicer would work as well.

Accompany that with a range buff to aura slicer to make it 450 range, and I think it would work very well, and potentially be more balanced than if the damage were loaded onto breaching.

It’s worth noting; that would make Aura Slicer a pretty much 1:1 equivalent with Guardian GS3, with each applying a utility condition and dealing heavy damage, with Aura Slicer covering less distance and only hitting 1 foe instead of 5. 

If they're going to "buff aura slicer" note that dagger weapon strength is 1K and GS is 1.1K. To attain the same damage as GS3 (Leap of Faith) in competitive modes* you'd need 1.25 x1.1 = 1.375 coefficient. Aura Slicer currently carries a 1.32 coefficient in WVW and 1.45 in PVP so it's already roughly there in PVP.

It would be far more beneficial to increase the range of the leap.

* all things being equal (which they are not due to traits)

Edited by Infusion.7149
add caveat about traits
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 12:33 AM, oscuro.9720 said:

Please buff breaching strike damage. 

The recent bug to Breaching Strike was obviously overkill. 12k breaching strikes are hilarious, but not healthy. However, the low-damage state of breaching strike is, well, just bad. Raising its damage by about 60% would dramatically improve spell’s ability in a large set of matchups that spell has been left behind in. This is especially pertinent given it does less damage than Dagger 2 presently. 

Given the state of guardian GS3 (does bugged-breaching strike levels of damage), swoop, etc. this would not be an outlandish amount of damage on a power weapon’s leap imo.

Unblockable boon rip isn't enough for you?

7 minutes ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

Unblockable boon rip isn't enough for you?

Well, generally, the kit needs a bit more damage. As I’ve thought of it more, Aura carrying a larger damage increase makes more sense, but Breaching likely still could use a damage boost. Distributing a damage raise across the two should raise the kit collectively to a much more sustainable place imo. 
If you are asking if a leap doing 3k while having unblockable boon rip is enough? I would say most likely no considering the state of skills like Leap of Faith, which hits 5 targets, blinds, heals >1k per target, and hits 6-10k on crits, not to mention longer range and leap speed. As I said, should it hit that hard? No. Should it hit as low as it does presently? Also no.
Realistically, a great place to start would be to bring the pvp increases over to wvw first. It would be great to see how that increase in damage plays out. 
I definitely think Aura Slicer should be bumped up to 450 range though.

To reiterate, distributing a raise in damage across breaching and aura slicer would probably be the best path to tread to bring dagger’s kit up imo. You are free to disagree though, it’s just an opinion. If you do, I’d love to hear your reasoning why 🙂 

5 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Well, generally, the kit needs a bit more damage. As I’ve thought of it more, Aura carrying a larger damage increase makes more sense, but Breaching likely still could use a damage boost. Distributing a damage raise across the two should raise the kit collectively to a much more sustainable place imo. 
If you are asking if a leap doing 3k while having unblockable boon rip is enough? I would say most likely no considering the state of skills like Leap of Faith, which hits 5 targets, blinds, heals >1k per target, and hits 6-10k on crits, not to mention longer range and leap speed. As I said, should it hit that hard? No. Should it hit as low as it does presently? Also no.
Realistically, a great place to start would be to bring the pvp increases over to wvw first. It would be great to see how that increase in damage plays out. 
I definitely think Aura Slicer should be bumped up to 450 range though.

To reiterate, distributing a raise in damage across breaching and aura slicer would probably be the best path to tread to bring dagger’s kit up imo. You are free to disagree though, it’s just an opinion. If you do, I’d love to hear your reasoning why 🙂 

Fair enough.

• Like 1