Suggestion: Stop Making Jumping Puzzles Mandatory

Robe Robbing Robert.6425

Not really - different people have different skills levels, are able to cope with different things better, etc.

There are a certain number of people that due to whatever reason, will just never be able to do certain jumping puzzles (either those that have a time element, require really precise jumps, or perhaps a lot of jumps in a row - though the position rewinder helps out a bit on this last one).

I'm fine with there being content in the game that certain people can't do.  Where I start to have issues is when there is some piece of content (most likely an achievement) which requires fairly straight forward/standard play skills, but 1 required piece of that achievement requires a set of skills that is much higher than all the other parts, and there is not alternative way around that (eg, you need to complete 20 achievements out of a list of 20)  If there is a list of 25 to choose from, and the JP is one of them, I'm perfectly fine with that.  Those who are good at JPs may choose that as 1 of the 20, as they can do it faster than the other choices, but those who can not do a JP can choose something they can do, but maybe it takes 5 times longer.

I've fortunately been able to do every JP in the game up to this point, but in some cases, I would have preferred some alternatives vs doing the JP - I didn't find the JP fun to do, but I wanted to the end result (Chalice of Tears comes to mind as at least one of them)

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 6/10/2023 at 6:21 AM, Solvar.7953 said:

Not really - different people have different skills levels, are able to cope with different things better, etc.

There are a certain number of people that due to whatever reason, will just never be able to do certain jumping puzzles (either those that have a time element, require really precise jumps, or perhaps a lot of jumps in a row - though the position rewinder helps out a bit on this last one).

I'm fine with there being content in the game that certain people can't do.  Where I start to have issues is when there is some piece of content (most likely an achievement) which requires fairly straight forward/standard play skills, but 1 required piece of that achievement requires a set of skills that is much higher than all the other parts, and there is not alternative way around that (eg, you need to complete 20 achievements out of a list of 20)  If there is a list of 25 to choose from, and the JP is one of them, I'm perfectly fine with that.  Those who are good at JPs may choose that as 1 of the 20, as they can do it faster than the other choices, but those who can not do a JP can choose something they can do, but maybe it takes 5 times longer.

I've fortunately been able to do every JP in the game up to this point, but in some cases, I would have preferred some alternatives vs doing the JP - I didn't find the JP fun to do, but I wanted to the end result (Chalice of Tears comes to mind as at least one of them)

I don't think there is any case in achievement collection where jumping puzzle are an obligatory thing (except on the legendary domain, but that's really high end content, there, who also contains thing like raid, which are way harder than any jp) 

Outside of like 1 or 2 story events, I don't recall jumping puzzles being mandatory... you do not have to do the JP's at the festival, you don't have to do any of the world JP's, I cannot recall the last time I went "If I don't do this jumping puzzle, my game progression is absolutely halted." 

Maybe you are an achievement hunter, and this JP means you do not get all the achievements. Maybe this JP means you miss on a mastery point (similar to hero points there are more of than ways to spend them, but no one said completing every task in this game was guaranteed to be possible for the entire population of the game. The community can aid some individuals who struggle to do a few of the challenges with portals, but eventually you either do the leg work to get the last few completions, or you accept they are too difficult and just let it go.

100% completion is for the masochists, its not for everyone... so accept you won't get it and you can enjoy GW2 because everything is an option, not a requirement.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:20 AM, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

It's your progress bar as long as you don't fall into the soup.

That is the fail condition, so your sardonic remark manages to be 100% technically accurate while doing nothing to address my criticism. Congratulations.

Oh, wait a second, it's not even 100% technically correct, since you don't actually have to fall into the soup for it to turn into someone else's progress bar, having the soup overtake you technically isn't falling in.

Edited by draxynnic.3719