WvW World Restructuring Beta 1 Veteran Achievement Issue

Rubi Bayer.8493

Gave up on wvw this week when I saw it was bugged, read the update that it's now fixed so I went back to wvw.

Just ran with a squad and we took 4 keeps including sm, several towers, umpteen camps and still the counter says 0/1.

Where is my war machine weapon skin please? 

Frustrating.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pulsefire Jayce.4753 said:

After 9 years of playing this game, most of which was in WvW, I've given up on the possibility of Arenanet caring about WvW.  This is just another nail in the coffin.  AoC and CU cannot come out fast enough 😩 

Not familiar with these initialisms. What are they?

Edited by vinberdon.5283

3 hours ago, Nawrotex.9521 said:

I mean... it's beta for wvw stuff and not for adding achievements in the game... cmon

You don't understand how games work.

Achievements track 'a thing', and when 'a thing' is done you get a sticker. 
It gets steadily more and more complex the more stuff is actually in the game. Tying that in with online servers makes life even harder. 

For this achievement, you can't track 'capture a point', because there are PvE points and they'd count too.
You can't track 'capture a point in WvW' because then the achievement would be completable after the event ends.
You can't track 'stand in range of a WvW point when it completes being captured between the dates of x and y', because that's a ton of wasted data being sent, or calculations on the server for the rest of the games life whenever a point is captured.

There are a TON of things that can go wrong. Especially seeing as how we aren't even playing WvW anymore, we are playing a separate branch of WvW v2. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 10

4 hours ago, Nawrotex.9521 said:

Can anyone simply explain me how does it keep happening? Are they don't do testing or what? Please genuine answers without unnecesary memes.

You see, there is a server where they test stuff, if the stuff works in the test server it doesn't necessarily mean it will work in the main server.

Have you noticed GW2 doesn't have maintenance times? this is the biggest drawback of that, you get to play for uninterrupted amounts of time at the cost of not knowing when things will work or not work once they come from the test server.

Edited by Wolfb.7025
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

This might actually be gamebreaking right now as WvW veterans had high hopes for the october patch and it broke the balance. Now the achievement feels like a really sweet treat and yet it is mismanaged. I feel every day that commanders are quickly leaving maps, regrouping in hope anything gets tracked in the achievement, then leaving again and so on. Together with the lack of commanders at all due to the beta of alliances, WvW feels pretty dead or at least very unorganised while the servers I have been playing on werent dead in the last month. A lot of guild mates actually got so frustrated, they stopped playing WvW after the last problems. I mean with the MK return there is enough to do right now so there might be no actual correlation to the emptiness of WvW but surely it feels frustrating for a lot of people that spent thousands of hours with that gamemmode.

3 hours ago, Kilo.5186 said:

You don't understand how games work.

I know how software development works.

3 hours ago, Kilo.5186 said:

For this achievement, you can't track 'capture a point', because there are PvE points and they'd count too.
You can't track 'capture a point in WvW' because then the achievement would be completable after the event ends.
You can't track 'stand in range of a WvW point when it completes being captured between the dates of x and y', because that's a ton of wasted data being sent, or calculations on the server for the rest of the games life whenever a point is captured.

We already have several achievements in WvW that track capturing/defending objectives and we also have several achievements (in WvW and in the game)  that can only be completed for a short period of time (i.e. daily achievements, during festivals, etc.).

Sure, bugs can happen, but you sound like the devs had to invent something completely new, some new concepts that may work or may not work,  when in fact they could just copy+paste+combine already existing achievements code for this new achievement.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nawrotex.9521 said:

Can anyone simply explain me how does it keep happening? Are they don't do testing or what? Please genuine answers without unnecesary memes.

Software always has bugs. Even small changes can have bugs and unexpected software behaviour. That's why testing a software is of utmost importance. Testing software means finding (and fixing) bugs before the customer/user experiences them.

But tests costs money (work time of people doing manual tests,  cpu time of test systems running automated tests, devs time for writing automated tests that can run later, etc.) and then someone (a dev) has to think about writing/defining  a test for some functionality/module/class of the software. Not only the amount of tests but also the quality of tests defines how much bugs these tests can possibly find.

And even if you put a lot more money into tests than you spend for writing new software you will not find all bugs with testing. Thats why you often try to find some sweet spot for your software (if you test a software that works in a space craft you put A LOT more money into testing compared to a software for a computer game because bugs in a space craft software could costs lives etc.).

So, from the outside, we can not see if this is just a strange bug that slipped through all of Anets good tests or if this bug happens because a lazy dev (there are a lot of them in the software industry) did not care about proper testing.

My personal view: GW2 could have better and more tests before software is released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2

Came here to report that the achievemnt is still not working.

With the beta now almost over then perhaps sending the chest to everyone who joined a beta WvW map would be a better thing to do this time around? Otherwise it becomes a reward for playing "the week after".

More opportunities to gain these skins in future betas would be welcome.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

At least we know it's no possible to add new achievements in WvW. Can we all get the advertised reward and be done with it please? At this point the trust in commitment to WvW that I had from previous communication vanished.

Such a terrible image for new players.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Software always has bugs. Even small changes can have bugs and unexpected software behaviour. That's why testing a software is of utmost importance. Testing software means finding (and fixing) bugs before the customer/user experiences them.

But tests costs money (work time of people doing manual tests,  cpu time of test systems running automated tests, devs time for writing automated tests that can run later, etc.) and then someone (a dev) has to think about writing/defining  a test for some functionality/module/class of the software. Not only the amount of tests but also the quality of tests defines how much bugs these tests can possibly find.

And even if you put a lot more money into tests than you spend for writing new software you will not find all bugs with testing. Thats why you often try to find some sweet spot for your software (if you test a software that works in a space craft you put A LOT more money into testing compared to a software for a computer game because bugs in a space craft software could costs lives etc.).

So, from the outside, we can not see if this is just a strange bug that slipped through all of Anets good tests or if this bug happens because a lazy dev (there are a lot of them in the software industry) did not care about proper testing.

My personal view: GW2 could have better and more tests before software is released.

Thank you for detailed explanation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hey everyone, I'm sorry this is happening. I'm just stopping by with a quick note to let you know that people are looking into this right now, and I'll update you as soon as I have more information. For the time being I wanted to make sure you all knew we are aware and we're on it. 

Thanks. Communcation is key to keeping everyone happy. DONT GO DARK ON US AGAIN ANET ❤️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Jlipper.7124 said:

Question. How do you see where this achievement's progress is? I can't find it in the World vs. World dialog box. Is it somewhere else, or do I have to go into World vs. World to see it?

Competitive -> World vs World -> WvW World Restructuring Beta Veteran - 0/1