WvW World Restructuring Beta 1 Veteran Achievement Issue

Rubi Bayer.8493

24 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Yes, that was my point.

What if they do and it passed there?

Maybe their test case doesn't use 10K WVW rank maxed WVW-related achievement points as one scenario.

It is worthy to note that in API even if you maxed the achievements it still increments the counter however.

Edited by Infusion.7149

1 hour ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I heard about it and so tested it myself with a Steam f2p account that hadn't played WvW before today.  Sure enough, I received the achievement.

I can confirm that.

I tested this with an alt account that has never set foot into WvW before. After I defended and captured a few camps and towers I got the achievement. However, now my alt has the "War Machine Weapon Skin Selection"  consumable item in it's inventory, but when I click on that item I only get the option "destroy". Maybe WvW level 5 does not count as a veteran? 😉

1 minute ago, Zok.4956 said:

However, now my alt has the "War Machine Weapon Skin Selection"  consumable item in it's inventory, but when I click on that item I only get the option "destroy". Maybe WvW level 5 does not count as a veteran? 😉

Oh boy.  I didn't check that.  I did have the option to preview though.  BTW, WvW lvl 10.

50 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Yes, that was my point.

What if they do and it passed there?

Then they should at least write a new test (and add it to their test environment) that would have tracked and found this bug and similar bugs, so next time another dev makes the same error, the test finds that bug before it goes live.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Did you capture 5 objectives?  The counter stays at 0/1 until complete.

Hmm, that's a good question.  I want to say yes, but honestly, probably safer to just test it again keeping track of count.

Edit: tested it making sure I got to 10 captures/defends.  Still broken.  Maybe you have to have not logged in at all, not just to wvw.

Edited by Ubi.4136
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ubi.4136 said:

Edit: tested it making sure I got to 10 captures/defends.  Still broken.  Maybe you have to have not logged in at all, not just to wvw.

Aw.  I can't say when the last time I logged into my f2p account was.  Does your alt have all the original capture achievements like "Going Camping" done?  That was another thing people noticed might be affecting it.

7 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Aw.  I can't say when the last time I logged into my f2p account was.  Does your alt have all the original capture achievements like "Going Camping" done?  That was another thing people noticed might be affecting it.

Yeah, they're done.  I used to switch accts each week when I would finish tickets, that way at least someone was getting tickets.  So most of that stuff is done, even on alt accts.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, alteriel valie.4751 said:

seems is tracking progress but is not shown in achiev panel!!
i guess when they fix it,if you have done the events it will pop up completion!
https://imgur.com/R6tsyR1

Confirmed with my alternate accounts. I was able to get it on 2 of my accounts that hadn't played wvw. But did not get it on 2 accounts that I played on before the patch.

Players that progressed against the achievement prior to the patch update are put into as state where we can't complete it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

I know how software development works.

We already have several achievements in WvW that track capturing/defending objectives and we also have several achievements (in WvW and in the game)  that can only be completed for a short period of time (i.e. daily achievements, during festivals, etc.).

Sure, bugs can happen, but you sound like the devs had to invent something completely new, some new concepts that may work or may not work,  when in fact they could just copy+paste+combine already existing achievements code for this new achievement.

No you don't.

If all the devs had to do was copy and paste it for it to work, then it would have worked when they did that.
When this didn't work, they went back and fixed another issue they were certain was the cause, yet it still didn't work.
That's two new issues/bugs at a minimum that meant this could NOT just be lifted from previously working implementations.

Yes, there are plenty of achievements for WvW. There are zero current achievements for WvW beta restructuring. There are no functioning achievements that take into account the changes they have made to the server structures. 

There's far too much to explain about server structure in MMOs and I'm sure it would go way over your head, but feel free to google. Changing the way servers interact with each other like this is never going to be a "just copy paste it bro" kind of job.

• Confused 2

It's working... got my war machine skin box.. maybe they fixed it?

also its so funny to see people being so furious about rewards for a beta test thingy.... give anet a break.. they're trying their best.. especially halloween rewards, skins, events, server congestion, next upcoming festival rewards skins, gamemodes, setups, updates, patches....

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871

Seems likely that it really did count before they enabled it. Not resetting the counter. But since for people that played before the hidden counter was at 5/5 no more increase was possible and the check to set the achievement completed would only happen when you went from 4 to 5 I guess.

I do not think they'd compare other stats from other achievements - that would be more complicated I guess. Besides there still could be a hidden counter counting upwards after the achievement has been maxed. (Then be used to check.)

The latest update post seemst to have confirmed this. Trying to login now to check ...

Yes it works: Showing the achievement among the latest you completed. Giving the chest. But in the main list it still shows 0/1. No "infinited" text that the other repeatables have. Though it is marked as not finished. Similar to a repeatable one that resets then. (They might re-use it for the next beta and since it is 0 AP as long as I have 1 skin ... everything is fine. Would have been a problem if it only gave the skin and if AP were associated that would not have been rewarded. Could work similar to the weekly ones - halloween now - where it resets at a certain date. No matter if you completed it or not. With them manually resetting it for everyone before the next beta.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kilo.5186 said:

No you don't.

That's quite an arrogant and presumptuous, almost hilarious, statement about someone who has worked in various roles in software development for many years.

4 hours ago, Kilo.5186 said:

If all the devs had to do was copy and paste it for it to work, then it would have worked when they did that.

First: I wrote "Copy+Paste+Combine".  Of course there is more to do than just copy+paste.

Second:  Well, people (including devs) make (stupid) mistakes, even when copy-pasting. People under pressure (including devs) make a lot more (stupid) mistakes.

Just because a bug exists, you can't deduce that there was an underlying, major technical problem that needed to be solved.

There are often several (good and bad) ways to solve a problem in software development. I don't know what the devs really did with the code. Do you? If yes, please share your knowledge.

5 hours ago, Kilo.5186 said:

There's far too much to explain about server structure in MMOs and I'm sure it would go way over your head, but feel free to google

It is bad form that you want to devalue and attack others. This is superfluous. Why are you white-knighting? Did I somehow tread on your toes?

On 10/20/2022 at 7:39 AM, Kilo.5186 said:

You don't understand how games work.

Achievements track 'a thing', and when 'a thing' is done you get a sticker. 
It gets steadily more and more complex the more stuff is actually in the game. Tying that in with online servers makes life even harder. 

For this achievement, you can't track 'capture a point', because there are PvE points and they'd count too.
You can't track 'capture a point in WvW' because then the achievement would be completable after the event ends.
You can't track 'stand in range of a WvW point when it completes being captured between the dates of x and y', because that's a ton of wasted data being sent, or calculations on the server for the rest of the games life when ever a point is captured.

There are a TON of things that can go wrong. Especially seeing as how we aren't even playing WvW anymore, we are playing a separate branch of WvW v2. 

The thing is, wvw, even in this beta, the base still is the same, what changes is the way you get paired with other people, being by clan instead of by server, the events are effectively the same.

When defending usualy an event of "kick outbthe invaders and jump on their corpses" XD, appear, while on capturing it also triggers something akin to an event, with the capture bar and all that, they could, and i think that was the intention, link the archievement to those events, defeat the invaders, and capture the fortress/tower, the beta shouldnt have that much of an effect as it is more a server, loading, pairing thing than something map related or event related.

Also they track whether or not you contribute to a kill or a capture, you get pems by killing a guard for example or even whitout that if you stay in the capture area you also get your share, while mounted you dont capture while on foot you do capture, so they could make it work, they have similar things.

All that said, i can understand that with beta, halloween, and i hope good balance and things near they can mess up or be short of personnel, but being able to they are able to do it, they should just say theyre short of hands or time, i think people would understand.

• Like 1