[Suggestion for ANET] Regarding animation of Charr movement for the purpose of aesthetics and exclusion of racial discrimination

FD KIM.8293

9 hours ago, FD KIM.8293 said:

but most of all I am surprised by people who ask not to touch anything, leave it as it is, use the resource for other purposes. do not forget that such trifles create a game atmosphere, no, not alone, but in combination with others yes. don't be so critical and think bigger.

People feeling entitled is what's currently ruining the game's atmosphere more than anything else atm.

Voicing an opinion is fine, but its just that, an opinion. Forums aren'tmeant to be work orders for Anet Devs. If they started to worry about everyone's little individual pet peeves the game would just go nowhere fast.

Edited by Ashgar.3024
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BjorJlen.9674 said:

However, that being said, if @Harak.8397 is correct in saying that this option has been "asked for by certain players since 2012", then for good or bad atm I don't see the Dev's implementing this option any time soon. But as the old adage says, "a closed mouth doesn't get fed", please keep on asking for this as maybe one day it will be added into the game. Either way, enjoy the game as best one can, and keep on truckin' (or running as the case may be lol)...

Yes, I mean at some point mounts and capes were "not in the plans" either...

Edited by Harak.8397
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 10/20/2022 at 1:17 PM, FD KIM.8293 said:

I want to propose a constructive change in the animation of the movement of the Charr race.
Yes, it is very plot-based, because of the proximity to the animal world and their carnivorousness, to stand on 4 paws when running. But, in the historical plot, there are charrs who followed in the footsteps of intelligence. I.e., my suggestion is to add a function to disable the transition to running four paws, leaving the value of movement on two paws outside the battle constant. If for a warrior, a ranger, as an example, it is very beautiful and atmospheric - running on four paws, then for charr mag-derivatives I think it is not very aesthetic. There may be a separate setting in the or options.... I have no more ideas for this implementation, in fact, this change will not affect anything except aesthetics, I do not see any problems for the introduction of this function.

If playing as a warrior, I am impatiently waiting for the exit from the battle, so that my charr would run on four paws, then being a necromancer, I always try to run with a weapon in my hands, in order to keep the movement on two paws. Aesthetics 😃

Thank you very much for your attention, I very much hope that my proposal will reach the right instance (probably to designers) and will be considered. Well, the decision on the need to enable this function, of course, remains up to you.

ps: I want to add that in the case of jumping puzzles, the charr feature with running on four paws very strongly discriminates against the race in terms of efficiency, that is, adding the voiced function would allow charr to be leveled with other races, which would also potentially lead to the approval of players who love these beautiful meat-eaters =)))

Dude... You just burned my eyes out with this highlighted wall of text.. 

Now on that thing... Every race has something unique about them. Asura lifts ears when in combat, plants glow in the dark, charr run on all four... Of course if its too hard for you to do jumping puzzles just buy mineture tonic in lake doric, youll be about same aize as asura. 

Edited by KrivukasLT.3507
  • Thanks 1

I actually like the four legged run so they don't always look like they're trying to sell me Frosted Flakes.  How cool is it that you can make all these machines and have a complex society yet be able to pounce, have claws and horns,  and retain more animal qualities?  

Would you also want an option to turn off sylvari glow, asuras ears and creepy little teeth, norn bulk and tattoos, and humans looking like thumbs?  It's what makes each race unique, even though it's not how you envision it.  

Racial discrimination is a strong term to (mis)use.   The devs don't have some prejudice against their own creations, it's how they chose to render their world.  Not every race has to evolve the same way in a fantasy world, any more than everything evolved the same in real life.  

I shall continue to enjoy running quadrupedal and admiring my swishing tail and snarling.  It's part of the charm.  And also ripping apart my opponents as I spring on them.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I actually like the four legged run so they don't always look like they're trying to sell me Frosted Flakes.  How cool is it that you can make all these machines and have a complex society yet be able to pounce, have claws and horns,  and retain more animal qualities?  

Would you also want an option to turn off sylvari glow, asuras ears and creepy little teeth, norn bulk and tattoos, and humans looking like thumbs?  It's what makes each race unique, even though it's not how you envision it.  

Racial discrimination is a strong term to (mis)use.   The devs don't have some prejudice against their own creations, it's how they chose to render their world.  Not every race has to evolve the same way in a fantasy world, any more than everything evolved the same in real life.  

I shall continue to enjoy running quadrupedal and admiring my swishing tail and snarling.  It's part of the charm.  And also ripping apart my opponents as I spring on them.

Quoted for emphasis. 🙂

And please, please everyone (anyone) don't derail this into a racial discrimination post as I have seen happen on other forums throughout my long gaming life. It never ends well, positive trigger intended as such or not. Personally, while I like the Charr's animations as different as they are from any other racial characters I have played in games before, I didn't see anything wrong in the OP. It was just a suggestion, not a demand (at least not how I took it), and like I inferred, there is nothing wrong with making suggestions about gaming. The more options the better as I said, even though GW2 has a lot of options under its belt. It's one reason why we are all different; coming up with thoughts and ideas that someone else might not have thought of before. After all, if everyone was the same, someone would not be needed. And in my "opinion", you are all needed... suggestions and all. As always, Without the Wax...

Peace...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biziut.3594 said:

I agree, it is super discriminating. I got so used to running JP on four paws that now when I do JP with some other race, I can't jump properly.

So I totally agree that the rest of four races should get a toggle to make them run on all four like charr do.

Imagine asura or human running  towards you menacingly.  I would call exorcist and gtfo of there 😄

• Haha 6

46 minutes ago, KrivukasLT.3507 said:

Imagine asura or human running  towards you menacingly.  I would call exorcist and gtfo of there 😄

Yes! With their bellies at the top like Samara from The Ring! That would be yet another new fashion meta for pink mustache norn in maid outfits.

Edit: or was it the girl from The Curse? 

Edited by Biziut.3594
  • Haha 3

On 10/23/2022 at 12:52 AM, KrivukasLT.3507 said:

You just burned my eyes out with this highlighted wall of text.. 

I'm sorry, the first pancake is a lump, I didn't know that the forum distorts the text by default, despite the fact that my text is displayed correctly and I don't quite understand what it's about and how you see it, now the forum does not allow the first post to be corrected.

19 hours ago, sorudo.9054 said:

charrs with a higher intelligence tent to stand straight

that's the point, playing as a warrior, I was thrilled with this proximity to primitiveness, but choosing a magician, I want to have an alternative when the charr consciously prefers to stand on two paws, consciously and fundamentally. I repeat, the option - checkmark in the settings - disable / enable movement on 4 paws for charrs is enough. and each player will choose at his discretion or will switch at will - today for two, tomorrow for four, for example

30 minutes ago, FD KIM.8293 said:

I'm not asking to remove, I'm asking for customizable variability.

Thanks for your clarification.  I would be fine with an option.  You made a point that for a caster you'd prefer to have a more upright look, and I could see that.  I think we'd all like to see more customization across the board.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FD KIM.8293 said:

that's the point, playing as a warrior, I was thrilled with this proximity to primitiveness, but choosing a magician, I want to have an alternative when the charr consciously prefers to stand on two paws, consciously and fundamentally. I repeat, the option - checkmark in the settings - disable / enable movement on 4 paws for charrs is enough. and each player will choose at his discretion or will switch at will - today for two, tomorrow for four, for example

i don't think you know what i mean with standing straight, this is what i mean:

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Charr_Shaman#/media/File:Charr_shaman.jpg

13 hours ago, sorudo.9054 said:

i don't think you know what i mean with standing straight, this is what i mean:

well, here I think it's redundant to leave the physiology of the race, although I, first of all, chose Charrs because of claws and a hunchbacked back =)

On 10/20/2022 at 12:17 PM, FD KIM.8293 said:

Yes, it is very plot-based, because of the proximity to the animal world and their carnivorousness, to stand on 4 paws when running. But, in the historical plot, there are charrs who followed in the footsteps of intelligence.

You have just equated intelligence with walking on 2 feet, and tried to enforce human standarts on charr. One might take that as a sign of a racial discrimination.

Just saying.

Personally, i quite like the fact that Charr movement is so different, it's one of the things that shows them to be truly a different race, and not just humans in a fur suit. Let's not turn them into humans in fur suits.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You have just equated intelligence with walking on 2 feet, and tried to enforce human standarts on charr. One might take that as a sign of a racial discrimination.

Just saying.

Personally, i quite like the fact that Charr movement is so different, it's one of the things that shows them to be truly a different race, and not just humans in a fur suit. Let's not turn them into humans in fur suits.

1. Please forgive me, I always forget that in your mentality statements about discrimination have a more serious weight, since we are rather not even criticism, besides, in the original post I did not use these terms as the main message, why are you all so aggressive about this? 

2. Another person who didn't think about what the author wrote. I will repeat myself and with an example, in some plot places and in books there are charras who, by their own choice and consciously, do not stand on 4 paws. 

• Confused 2

If I recall correctly, the charr shaman who stood upright did it specifically because they wanted to look superior to others, even though it caused neck problems to maintain that stance.

While I'm not opposed to a toggle for running on two legs, I think equating it with intelligence doesn't fit with the charr because they're not a fully bipedal race. Switching between two legs and all fours would be seen as natural to them and just who they are, instead of something to be ashamed of.

• Like 8