Alliances and competition

Dear Arenanet,

I confess that I, like many of us, can't wait for the alliance and the restructuring to be ready and go live. And I'm sorry to see all the unexpected obstacles you find during this development work. The only problem I see (probably because I don't know your full design of this update) is what are your thoughts and plans of how you expect these new worlds/kingdoms to compete with each other.

Maybe it's something you want to address later, but that's exactly what I'd like to avoid with this post. Because the development you're bringing is really important and when it comes it could be misinterpreted by many of your players. If you only address this later, the risk may be to lose many of your players.

So I also ask all friends and fans of this mode. Soon (hopefully) we will have alliances and finally really similar teams that can confront each other, finally you will have the chance to prove that your team is the best. How would you like to put them in competition with each other? What season do you imagine? What kind of tournament do you imagine or want? Put here all your suggestions and thoughts about it.

• Haha 2

I'm not sure why they need to adress it, they've already made the scope clear:

World restructure change how players are assigned to worlds/teams/servers every 2 months, adding WvW guild selection and the alliance organizational feature.

World restructure does not change how the WvW gameplay mode functions, ie 1u1d weekly matches.

Guilds are more important than "servers", and Alliances make sure all guild members can play together if they choose. 

The question is not who is more important. The point is that alliances come to give more balance. So they have nothing to do with the guild or a set of guilds. The guild has no balance one is different from the other as it is expected to be since the dawn of time. The development of Alleanza concerns servers, it was created to improve the balance between servants, and in your opinion why? Because they can compare and compete more consistently, and honestly. 

With this Anet gets the chance to make the competition between these servers credible again so that its players can have much more fun. Alliances are fine, they are just bigger pieces inside a server. The real issue is about building teams. the fact that it is repeated every 8 weeks. This gives little space to the players to make a group and build a common action that aims to win and compete against all other teams.

If you don't want to leave anyone behind with this update you have to give your players at least a 12-month season (as in any sports competition). You don't have to add prizes or money in this mode to stimulate players. You have to build an official and credible tournament, and put a nice prize only for the first three teams, then you will still see your players organize and commit, to do what WWW has always provided.

I posted this in another topic and summarizes a bit the reason for this post.

6 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

Guilds are more important than "servers", and Alliances make sure all guild members can play together if they choose. 

The question is not who is more important. The point is that alliances come to give more balance. So they have nothing to do with the guild or a set of guilds. The guild has no balance one is different from the other as it is expected to be since the dawn of time. The development of Alleanza concerns servers, it was created to improve the balance between servants, and in your opinion why? Because they can compare and compete more consistently, and honestly. 

With this Anet gets the chance to make the competition between these servers credible again so that its players can have much more fun. Alliances are fine, they are just bigger pieces inside a server. The real issue is about building teams. the fact that it is repeated every 8 weeks. This gives little space to the players to make a group and build a common action that aims to win and compete against all other teams.

If you don't want to leave anyone behind with this update you have to give your players at least a 12-month season (as in any sports competition). You don't have to add prizes or money in this mode to stimulate players. You have to build an official and credible tournament, and put a nice prize only for the first three teams, then you will still see your players organize and commit, to do what WWW has always provided.

I posted this in another topic and summarizes a bit the reason for this post.

Actually 8 weeks is fine. We will still need tiers because again there will be different size Alliances and 5 100 count Alliances versus 1 500 count Alliance are not the same thing. Odds are in favor if the 1 500 count Alliance handled even just coverage wars they will go higher up because they will have a 24 hour coverage window and therefore win by that alone. That's why we will need tiers. Rerolling every 8 weeks will also allow people to interact more with others and pull people into their Alliance for the next mix up. Remember there is no transfers in the new system per the one Q&A so you wouldn't want to be stuck in a bad mix up for a year, you would have people quitting left and right. The winning/rewards review comes after the Restructuring logic and yes people should be pondering that but ANet's not wrong we need to see how the first part works before we get the other if in the least to understand if it creates worse matchups than server links are perceived to do.

hi grimm, 

Do not be shy, this post is made on purpose, you can put anything you want. Want to keep 1up 1down? Want 5 matches? Do you want 15 individual teams? Do you want double pairings then 30 teams entered in the tournament? Do you want pairings to 3 and therefore 45 teams entered in the tournament? Do you want to reconnect again every 2 months? Want close matches every month? or every week? Do you want a 6-month or 12-month season? as you would like the points........If you win 3 consecutive games do you get extra points? So we make an unexpected comeback possible? In short, you can put anything nice that you would like to have in a nice team tournament.

If we want the new alliance system to work. If we want to recover returning players and if we want to broaden the panorama of players of this mode, we need all this stuff. We have to start talking about it to give some good advice to development, to understand what we like more, what could be more fun. The restructuring of the world must necessarily include all this stuff when it goes live. 

When you enter the mode you have to say ''wow'' they really changed things, it's really a team PvP. If you don't do that, the risk is not to get the result after all the work that development is doing. And this is only for not having added the last part of the work, probably the easiest part to achieve, but also the most important part to consider.

So please, if you have any good ideas and advice, feel free to put it here.

17 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:
17 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Remember there is no transfers in the new system

I know it well and it could not be that way. The wild transfer is one of the main reasons that have made the competition of this mode not credible. I advised for this to change the transfer system '' by reservation '' in this way even if the season is 12 months you still have the option to move a large group, provided that another similar group takes your place.

Also because alliances provide and facilitate the possibility of grouping friends who want to play together, the need to transfer should be almost eliminated. If we add this type of change to transfers, we still give everyone the option to transfer for any reason, even in the middle of the tournament.

Edited by Mabi black.1824