PSA: The Hat Returns!

Well there goes that. Went in game took hat off charr and asura. At least I still have my wings of the sunless. The 10 yr title makes losing the hat less painful to be sure.  And btw if anyone had lost the hat because of wardrobe change they needed only submit a ticket and it was replaced.  Why not just rename the hat, that way all players might be satisfied. I mean you just had to be there.....

Edited by Tasida.4085
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

In other news, ArenaNet making the decade's devotion title available for purchase.

I'm all for accessibility to cosmetics and titles but having the few things remain as exclusivity for preorder recognition and early events losing their meaning really strikes me the wrong way. It's not like this is an amazing item you wish you had to complete a look. The entire purpose of this item was to show off you were a fan of the first hour.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Just now, Tsakhi.8124 said:

How bold of you to assume I'm smart enough to be a dev, lol. Seriously though, thank you for giving me that information, I genuinely didn't know that; my oldest character is 6 years old, so I wasn't there at launch. Always interesting to learn about how things used to be. 

Np its an odd situation tbh and I did hesitate to post about it, but I felt like it was a pretty reasonable thing to try and point out.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

Why are yall so sure we will even reach the goal? By the looks of it now, it doesn't look like it... 😄 

Most of the donating happens at the height of the event. Typically, Extra Life itself is held in November. So, while you can make gem shop purchases in contribution and qualify now, a lot of people may choose to wait and do so while the official streams are running. That being said, they've raised over $8,000 on the Team ArenaNet page as of this post, and it was hovering around $7,000 yesterday; I imagine it'll only pick up from here.

You can learn more about the event and see the start times for previous years here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 12:28 PM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Most of the donating happens at the height of the event. Typically, Extra Life itself is held in November. So, while you can make gem shop purchases in contribution and qualify now, a lot of people may choose to wait and do so while the official streams are running. That being said, they've raised over $8,000 on the Team ArenaNet page as of this post, and it was hovering around $7,000 yesterday; I imagine it'll only pick up from here.

You can learn more about the event and see the start times for previous years here.

Yep people still have plenty of time to make a donation! 😃

• Like 3

I agree with Moradorin and a lot of others in this post

It's a nice reward for the players since day 1, got it myself also, and I loved the thought behind it.

I kept it for years in my inventory as a useless peace of armor (lvl 79 exotic with old transmution stones), then came the wardrobe which made me use it on several characters.

Would probably be nice to send the cap to the people that lost it over the years.

But now that everybody is gona get it, it's not gona be special... 

The better thing to do was make a different cap, or like with the extra life logo or  or the words in my opinion, becouse a bit of variation everybody will apreciate, plus people will have a bit of extra branding for people to look up online.

A nice way for people to look up what it is, becouse a lot of people in game have no clue what is going on and why they are getting the rewards.

Another thing I am a bit worried about is the next living world chapter, in which we safe Lions Arch.

I do love that to be played again, and I love the fact that it gets to be like the marrionette, but I'm a bit affraid that the semi-exclusive tittle  Hero of Lions Arch is gona pop over the entire map, which is in my opinion the reward of the great first run of the living story.

Gona miss being unique with the cap, and would have liked to see a new cap, or even the cap sideways or backwards.

Edited by William O.6409
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

45 minutes ago, Drakz.7051 said:

Wasn't this hat exclusive to those who originally bought GW 2?

No, this item was essentially a log-in reward offered through the shop as a freebie (0 Gems, from August 25 to September 12, 2012). Anyone who checked out at the game at that time was able to get one; there was no achievement or task involved. Later, at the 10th anniversary, codes for the hat were given away through the GW2 Twitter, and now they are being awarded to those who contribute toward this year's Extra Life community goal.

Other exclusives have been treated this way in the past, most recently the Aurene cape that originally came with the physical Aurene statue, but also things like the Miniature Mr. Sparkles, which coincidentally returned as an Extra Life reward after being unavailable for many years.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but we're up to $95,000+ on ArenaNet's Extra Life page. Yeet.

Edited by AgentMoore.9453
Extra Life update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

No, this item was essentially a log-in reward offered through the shop as a freebie (0 Gems, from August 25 to September 12, 2012). Anyone who checked out at the game at that time was able to get one; there was no achievement or task involved. Later, at the 10th anniversary, codes for the hat were given away through the GW2 Twitter, and now they are being awarded to those who contribute toward this year's Extra Life community goal.

Other exclusives have been treated this way in the past, most recently the Aurene cape that originally came with the physical Aurene statue, but also things like the Miniature Mr. Sparkles, which coincidentally returned as an Extra Life reward after being unavailable for many years.

Thanks for reminding me, sucks that they are resorting to these tactics. Seems like a completely different company than when they originally released the game.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 10/25/2022 at 10:17 PM, Moradorin.6217 said:

TBH Im disappointed kinda. Just because the hat has always been something very special that when u saw it on a player u pretty much knew they had played during release.(like myself) That will be gone now. That said, Its a nice skin and I understand wanting it and no ill to anyone who gets one.

Just saying, I would have preferred maybe a logo change on the hat for Second Life. That would have given people like myself a way to preserve that value of the original hat and actually further motivate us to donate for a new hat also. I cannot imagine a logo change would be complicated on the hat. That said, I am not the coder so what do I know.

Edited to clarify in case anyone is actually confused... >

Again, Ideally I would love to see the 2nd life hat be given a new logo, like maybe the one on the cape?? That way people that played 10 years ago still get a reward for the annual (we dont at present) while still giving everyone a cool cap skin. Additionally, we all get more variety! 😃

Note: For what its worth I think its a great cause and want to encourage people to donate. I like the effort to motivate people w a cool special reward. I just wish it wasn't the EXACT SAME reward I got for playing 10 years ago upon release.

< end edit

it's just to reach the goal of 120k money, because in this hard time when everything is expensive ppl are not so fast with spending extra money i think. but with an reward like this.. if you wanted it for so many years i also would have spend money if i wanted it so bad.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Drakz.7051 said:

Thanks for reminding me, sucks that they are resorting to these tactics. Seems like a completely different company than when they originally released the game.

Crazy that they undermined people’s exclusive gear just to raise money for children’s hospitals.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

You had 10 years to show off your hat - is such a long head-start not enough? 😁

Showing off the hat wasnt the point. The point that the Veteran players complaining about has nothing to do with that. It has to do with being able to identify with other players who shared the experience of playing ever since the launch week of the game. That is, it gave us all a fun, simple way to identify one another and it fostered memorable interactions with other players in which we could comment to one another about the cap then recant some fun moments around the launch era and feel a sense of a shared experience. That is being taken away because now everyone who did Extra life with also have that item that was the identifier for us prior to this.

Frankly, you are 100% missing the point of what I cared about. Your view is very shallow.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

6 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Crazy that they undermined people’s exclusive gear just to raise money for children’s hospitals.

Mostly I think its crazy that they decided to use the original exclusive item that people use to identify other people who have played since launch rather than say, alter color of cap's logo, use another popular item that wouldn't impact economy, give out a one time BL voucher instead (give players free gem stuff?), or I duno another impactful reward that doesnt penalize the oldest players.

Again I think everyone should donate to extra life cause its a good cause. That doesnt mean I have to think it was smart to use the celebration hat as a reward for it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Tsakhi.8124 said:

Doesn't matter anyway, we didn't hit the goal. So now the veterans keep their unique hats. Congrats. 

On the bright side, we raised a lot of money for a good cause, so that makes me happy. 

Win-Win for everyone.

It's not over yet though is it? The Extra Life items are still available on the gem store at least.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Showing off the hat wasnt the point. The point that the Veteran players complaining about has nothing to do with that. It has to do with being able to identify with other players who shared the experience of playing ever since the launch week of the game. That is, it gave us all a fun, simple way to identify one another and it fostered memorable interactions with other players in which we could comment to one another about the cap then recant some fun moments around the launch era and feel a sense of a shared experience. That is being taken away because now everyone who did Extra life with also have that item that was the identifier for us prior to this.

Frankly, you are 100% missing the point of what I cared about. Your view is very shallow.

I literally cannot with this post, other peoples view is very shallow but yours isn't?

I started playing gw2 just 2 days after the hat was removed from the gemstore 10 years ago, guess im now allowed in your elitist exclusionary club of early gw2 players.

You can now don the title Decade's devotion to show of your 10 years of gw2 ownership and dedication to the franchise while identifying others that where there 10 years ago.

Is this really about identifying early gw2 players or that others should have less than you?

Btw has the goal been reached or not?

https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1492

https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=61265

Both of those pages are from Anet, would feel aggrieved if subteams like Charr against Humanity were excluded from the community goal we have ingame.

Edited by Setz.9675
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Genuine question: has that ever happened to you?

In 10 years I've never had anyone ask if I have this hat or ask for any other proof that I've been playing since the start, if it comes up at all everyone seems to trust everyone else to tell the truth. On the rare occasions I've used it no one has commented on it at all.

I understand the concept that having exclusive items proves something to other players and people will be interested to see them but in my experience the reality has always been that if anyone asks about where a skin or item came from it's because they'd like to use it and as soon as they find out it's not available any more they lose interest.

(Also the exact date you bought a video game would be a pretty odd thing to brag about, even within that game, which is probably why no one doubts anyone else's answer, since there's no reason to lie.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, Setz.9675 said:

Btw has the goal been reached or not?

https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1492

https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=61265

Both of those pages are from Anet, would feel aggrieved if subteams like Charr against Humanity were excluded from the community goal we have ingame.

The team and the 'superteam' are two different things. Team Arenanet is the official group of staff, partners etc. raising funds as Arenanet. The superteam is that + other teams who have chosen to associate themselves with Anet, like Gamers Giving Back who run Pink Day in LA and other fundraisers.

The superteam will of course has raised more money because it counts the other sub-teams as well, but the in-game rewards are based on the official Anet team's progress.

And yes the fundraiser is still going even if their steam is finished, and only $8,397 away from the goal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I am glad they are giving the hat.  I have played guild wars since factions and guild wars 2 since the very beginning.  I think there should be very very few exclusive items and am very glad everyone who wants one will be able to get the hat.  That's the way it should be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

And yes the fundraiser is still going even if their steam is finished, and only $8,397 away from the goal.

And six hours later, we're now only $6,430 away from it!

That's $1,967 raised in 6 hours if we use today as an example. Assuming the donations keep rolling at roughly the same rate until the 8th (this is when the Extra Life items leave the shop), we could be looking at upwards of 15k (likely less, since I imagine donations would taper after reaching the 125k mark).

I think we stand a good chance of reaching the community goal and getting the hat for everyone, but I'm also just happy to see the fundraiser doing so well. That's a lot of kids helped.

• Like 4