PSA: The Hat Returns!

10 hours ago, Setz.9675 said:

I literally cannot with this post, other peoples view is very shallow but yours isn't?

I started playing gw2 just 2 days after the hat was removed from the gemstore 10 years ago, guess im now allowed in your elitist exclusionary club of early gw2 players.

You can now don the title Decade's devotion to show of your 10 years of gw2 ownership and dedication to the franchise while identifying others that where there 10 years ago.

Is this really about identifying early gw2 players or that others should have less than you?

Btw has the goal been reached or not?

https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1492

https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=61265

Both of those pages are from Anet, would feel aggrieved if subteams like Charr against Humanity were excluded from the community goal we have ingame.

My entire point is to be able to identify with other people to have a sense of shared experience related to gw2. If you dont value that, fine. That doesnt mean its somehow shallow to want that experience. If anything it demonstrates the opposite and anyone who attempts to reverse the narrative so that people looking to take that away from Veteran players for a cheap profit (yes good cause however, but still lazy profit if its only to save anet the work of making a decent reward).

I was all the while being polite and only suggesting I was disappointed, as I am. Its NOT a big deal. WHAT IS A BIG DEAL is people coming and making accusations that its shallow to want to have a personal connection and sense of shared experience with other players. just to be honest I think that really tops it all. like seriously what the hell are you thinking??

Again People should keep donating regardless. Its a terrific cause. Its also a cool hat.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Like 6
  • Confused 4

On 11/4/2022 at 6:09 PM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

No, this item was essentially a log-in reward offered through the shop as a freebie (0 Gems, from August 25 to September 12, 2012). Anyone who checked out at the game at that time was able to get one; there was no achievement or task involved. Later, at the 10th anniversary, codes for the hat were given away through the GW2 Twitter, and now they are being awarded to those who contribute toward this year's Extra Life community goal.

Other exclusives have been treated this way in the past, most recently the Aurene cape that originally came with the physical Aurene statue, but also things like the Miniature Mr. Sparkles, which coincidentally returned as an Extra Life reward after being unavailable for many years.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but we're up to $95,000+ on ArenaNet's Extra Life page. Yeet.

Im 99.9% sure it was not available to Free to play accounts. Its was only available to people who purchased gw2 on or before those dates. F2P are not allowed to get everything. In other words, yes it was the exclusive to people who purchased the game during launch and yea it was 0 gems and you could repurchase via price history for a while after it was gone from gemshop if you had gotten one during that time.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

31 minutes ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Im 99.9% sure it was not available to Free to play accounts. Its was only available to people who purchased gw2 on or before those dates. F2P are not allowed to get everything. In other words, yes it was the exclusive to people who purchased the game during launch and yea it was 0 gems and you could repurchase via price history for a while after it was gone from gemshop if you had gotten one during that time.

There were no ftp accounts back in 2012 so yea you are correct.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Another PSA: You may be able to get your hat early.

We're still $3,240 from hitting the goal proper, but users are reporting receiving the hat anyway. Here's how:

• Buy an Extra Life item from the shop (If you've already done this, you're good)
  • Visit Lion's Arch (I've also heard Divinity's Reach will work)
  • Wait on that map until the turn of the hour (~40 minutes until the next one)
  • ???
  • Hatte

It's unclear if this is a goof, but given that subgroups have already put us well past $125,000, I'd say we're in the clear. Thank you to everyone who donated and everyone who streamed. Nice work.
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Another PSA: You may be able to get your hat early.

We're still $3,240 from hitting the goal proper, but users are reporting receiving the hat anyway. Here's how:

• Buy an Extra Life item from the shop (If you've already done this, you're good)
  • Visit Lion's Arch (I've also heard Divinity's Reach will work)
  • Wait on that map until the turn of the hour (~40 minutes until the next one)
  • ???
  • Hatte

It's unclear if this is a goof, but given that subgroups have already put us well past $125,000, I'd say we're in the clear. Thank you to everyone who donated and everyone who streamed. Nice work.

The in-game counter is lagging behind the one on the Extralife website, and it's possible that is also behind the actual total.

At the moment in-game it's showing $120,120 and the website says $121,885. I'm going to wait and see what happens when it ticks over to the next hour.

• Thanks 1

Update: the in-game counter didn't change but at 16:01 I got the hat. Then I logged into my second account (also an Extralife donor), got to LA about 16:03 and did not get the hat. So it looks like it's only being given out if you're there when the timer ticks over, which makes me think it's a mistake.

17 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

There were no ftp accounts back in 2012 so yea you are correct.

Yea lol I thought so but 10 years was a LONG time ago and its hard to remember for sure. Wiki didnt seem to have a date for when f2p got added on f2p page (I looked).

16 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Where you lose me is why a sense of shared experience has to be tied to an exclusive digital item.

Its tied to the digital item because only people who shared that experience had that item. Its very simple.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Yea lol I thought so but 10 years was a LONG time ago and its hard to remember for sure. Wiki didnt seem to have a date for when f2p got added on f2p (I looked).

Its tied to the digital item because only people who shared that experience had that item. Its very simple.

And yet, the shared experience is still there, though the item is no longer exclusive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Gibson.4036 said:

And yet, the shared experience is still there, though the item is no longer exclusive.

Not really. Now its 2 ships passing in the night with the signal lights off not seeing one another. Whereas, before it was 2 ships passing and 1 or more had that on flaged them to other that they had that experience which gave way to a feeling of shared experience and often sparked conversations about memorable moments and experiences, maybe even common friends.

Now the hat cannot represent that and cannot flag anything when worn. Its now JUST a meaningless skin. Before it was a skin that could flag to others that we had a shared experience and that was special. Its gone now and cannot be undone.

Im very happy that the Extra Life Goal was met. Its too bad that Anet chose to sacrifice something many valued thought. Also I dont agree with the premise that they needed the cap to reach the donation goal. People are always very positive about the cause. Who would argue a Childrens hospital network is a bad cause? No one. Its a fallacy to suggest anyone in this discussion had any negative impact on donations. If anything Anet recycling the old skin would reduce the donation rate because Veterans like myself didnt get ANYTHING for the same achievement cause we had the skin already (I also have 3 legendary armor sets so its not even a transmute for me) That said, I donated. In fact, I dontated extra to give my alt accounts the silly skin even tho now its just a stupid cap.

• Like 4
  • Confused 8

5 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Yea lol I thought so but 10 years was a LONG time ago and its hard to remember for sure. Wiki didnt seem to have a date for when f2p got added on f2p page (I looked).

Yeah except to those of us that were there and destroyed the item because it took up space and there wasn't an accountwide wardrobe so.... lets not and say we didn't when it comes to glorfying this item.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Not really. Now its 2 ships passing in the night with the signal lights off not seeing one another. Whereas, before it was 2 ships passing and 1 or more had that on flaged them to other that they had that experience which gave way to a feeling of shared experience and often sparked conversations about memorable moments and experiences, maybe even common friends.

Now the hat cannot represent that and cannot flag anything when worn. Its now JUST a meaningless skin. Before it was a skin that could flag to others that we had a shared experience and that was special. Its gone now and cannot be undone.

Im very happy that the Extra Life Goal was met. Its too bad that Anet chose to sacrifice something many valued thought. Also I dont agree with the premise that they needed the cap to reach the donation goal. People are always very positive about the cause. Who would argue a Childrens hospital network is a bad cause? No one. Its a fallacy to suggest anyone in this discussion had any negative impact on donations. If anything Anet recycling the old skin would reduce the donation rate because Veterans like myself didnt get ANYTHING for the same achievement cause we had the skin already (I also have 3 legendary armor sets so its not even a transmute for me) That said, I donated. In fact, I dontated extra to give my alt accounts the silly skin even tho now its just a stupid cap.

Im sorry but you just stated that you couldn't even remember when GW2 went free to play (spoiler: it was just before HoT, lots of people were upset about their original gw2 purchase being devalued by it) but you clearly remember the launch which happened 3 years earlier and even bond with absolute strangers over it? Just to add, in the 10 years I've played this game (10k+ hours) I have NEVER seen a conversation between 2 people with either 1 or 2 celebration hats on and how they are reminiscing the earliest days of gw2. Neither in cities or open world or where ever.

To go even further, the hat is now meaningless? really???!?!? Lets forget how during the extra-life stream (of the year 2022 when the celebration hat returned after being discontinued for 10 years), Roy, Cal and Raymond shaved their eyebrows off for hitting a 15k, 15k and 3k donation target respectively. How Rubi being absolutely exhausted gets her character killed over and over in edge of the mists while drinking whatever mystery beverage she gets handed. I'm sure others have different moments of extra-life day they will remember and can associate with by that hat.

And even though its a stupid cap now, you still donated on your alt accounts instead of your main because??

Edit: Im going to stop here, this is getting way too offtopic and personal. I said your viewpoint is shallow but nice of you to twist my words. You can't see how this hat is a unique skin in a cosmetic endgame and dont want newer players to get one, to me you come across as a selfish person that wants to feel special by having something that others cannot.

Edited by Setz.9675
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, TexZero.7910 said:

Yeah except to those of us that were there and destroyed the item because it took up space and there wasn't an accountwide wardrobe so.... lets not and say we didn't when it comes to glorfying this item.

I had lost it too, but I petitioned a few years ago to get it back because I felt like I was missing out when I saw other people with the hat and would have to claim to have one had one without any way to demonstrate it so I typically wouldn't say anything. That is, until I petitioned to get it back.

edit added:

When I deleted it (like others) it was because of limited space and a lack of transmutes and the challenge of holding onto items to keep skins since we didnt have the wardrobe system yet. Personally, I thought I would be able to withdraw it again from the TP purchase history when I deleted it. Then later I tried and realized I couldnt. That was also what I explained in the petition.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

19 minutes ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

I had lost it too, but I petitioned a few years ago to get it back because I felt like I was missing out when I saw other people with the hat and would have to claim to have one had one without any way to demonstrate it so I typically wouldn't say anything. That is, until I petitioned to get it back.

What do people say to you about it? Either when they see you using it, or you see them using it, or when you did mention having lost it. What kind of comments does it get?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Setz.9675 said:

Im sorry but you just stated that you couldn't even remember when GW2 went free to play (spoiler: it was just before HoT, lots of people were upset about their original gw2 purchase being devalued by it) but you clearly remember the launch which happened 3 years earlier and even bond with absolute strangers over it? Just to add, in the 10 years I've played this game (10k+ hours) I have NEVER seen a conversation between 2 people with either 1 or 2 celebration hats on and how they are reminiscing the earliest days of gw2. Neither in cities or open world or where ever.

To go even further, the hat is now meaningless? really???!?!? Lets forget how during the extra-life stream (of the year 2022 when the celebration hat returned after being discontinued for 10 years), Roy, Cal and Raymond shaved their eyebrows off for hitting a 15k, 15k and 3k donation target respectively. How Rubi being absolutely exhausted gets her character killed over and over in edge of the mists while drinking whatever mystery beverage she gets handed. I'm sure others have different moments of extra-life day they will remember and can associate with by that hat.

And even though its a stupid cap now, you still donated on your alt accounts instead of your main because??

Edit: Im going to stop here, this is getting way too offtopic and personal. I said your viewpoint is shallow but nice of you to twist my words. You can't see how this hat is a unique skin in a cosmetic endgame and dont want newer players to get one, to me you come across as a selfish person that wants to feel special by having something that others cannot.

F2P was never important to me, since I never used it.

The things that I remember being big deals during launch was stuff like:

-Legendary weapon precursors being ~1g

Karma runs in Orr and Arah being the hard content.

-First experiences killing mobs like Shadow Behemoth.

-The first year of Festivals

-Fractals going live

-Black Lion tickets and other neat stuff dropping during the Karka event

-Black Lion ticket runs before the weekly cap.

- I remember the first season of WvW and leveling up in WvW on some toons. It wasnt a bad place to level up in the centaur and skrit camps tbh.

- I remember when PvP had its own wardrobe storage, unlocks, etc and the loby and feel was very different before the wardrobe system.

-Fractals when it was a cap of 50 and Maw was the last fractal and it was random and u had to level up each toon, but you could bring sub 80 friends along and carry them

-Doing dungeons like TA cause it was in a starting area and alt swapping to gain one level per boss kill on the alts + get the dungeon tokens. 😃

-I remember crafting my first ascended backpack shortly after they got added to the game. It was a quiver skin and took a TON of T6 and ecto.

-I remember when they first added acended armor to the game and all the crafting material prices went crazy.

- I remember when MCs where like 2s

-I remember when people exploited the TP with 2cp price items to take advantage of a bug related to min fee's

+I remember loads of things. None of the really memorable things have to do when F2P happened or changed because its not impactful to me as a paying customer.

I can still recant those things with other players to be sure. However, if everyone has the very same hat that was once an exclusive of those that had been around to share some of those experiences than we no longer have that symbol of that shared experience.

I would say that Im surprised that people on this forum have a hard time grasping what Im saying about what the hat represented without devolving the conversation into some derogatory twisted version of what the conversation should be.

Remember all this argument started because I dared to say:

On 10/25/2022 at 1:17 PM, Moradorin.6217 said:

TBH Im disappointed kinda. Just because the hat has always been something very special that when u saw it on a player u pretty much knew they had played during release.(like myself) That will be gone now. That said, Its a nice skin and I understand wanting it and no ill to anyone who gets one.

I mean I said Im kinda disappointed because the hat was meaningful to myself and others. That was really it. Next thing people are over reacting to what I said and extending my disappointment into accusations that Im against people donating or some total kitten. Seriously, get a grip everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

2 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

What do people say to you about it? Either when they see you using it, or you see them using it, or when you did mention having lost it. What kind of comments does it get?

Jeez, Im not sure I can start to accurately recant my conversations. Nor do I feel that is needed in the slightest. Im not the one who did anything wrong or is making some outlandish claims. Those who are trying to imply that its wrong of me to be disappointed or that I dare mention it IMO have some serious issues but that again isnt my concern or problem beyond my desire to respond.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

Just now, Moradorin.6217 said:

Im kinda disappointed

Hello friend. You have posted this over 10 times here. Yours are currently the majority of posts in this thread, all saying essentially the same thing. Everyone is aware that you are disappointed. However, this thread was intended to inform people about the Extra Life promotion, the rewards, and how to obtain them.

If you wish to continue airing your grievance, I would humbly request you do so in a thread of your own making.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Hello friend. You have posted this over 10 times here. Yours are currently the majority of posts in this thread, all saying essentially the same thing. Everyone is aware that you are disappointed. However, this thread was intended to inform people about the Extra Life promotion, the rewards, and how to obtain them.

If you wish to continue airing your grievance, I would humbly request you do so in a thread of your own making.

Hello Pal. Mine was the 2nd post in this thread and the majority of my posts are responding to other making comments about my view about this topic so your request is baseless.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

1 minute ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Jeez, Im not sure I can start to accurately recant my conversations. Nor do I feel that is needed in the slightest. Im not the one who did anything wrong or is making some outlandish claims. Those who are trying to imply that its wrong of me to be disappointed or that I dare mention it IMO have some serious issues but that again isnt my concern or problem beyond my desire to respond.

I think you're over-reacting, although I can see this topic is causing you a lot of concern so maybe it was the wrong time to ask.

But I'm not asking for a precise transcription of a conversation, I'm just curious about the types of comments it gets because as I said earlier in the thread that's never happened to me. I've never been asked about the hat either when I was using it or when I mentioned playing at launch, and I've never seen anyone else get comments about it so I'm curious about what I missed. But I guess in a way I've got my answer, in that it's obviously not anything memorable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think you're over-reacting, although I can see this topic is causing you a lot of concern so maybe it was the wrong time to ask.

But I'm not asking for a precise transcription of a conversation, I'm just curious about the types of comments it gets because as I said earlier in the thread that's never happened to me. I've never been asked about the hat either when I was using it or when I mentioned playing at launch, and I've never seen anyone else get comments about it so I'm curious about what I missed. But I guess in a way I've got my answer, in that it's obviously not anything memorable.

Ohh I have run into lots of people who either didn't know the origin of the skin or people who also have the skin.

When people didnt have it it could open up conversations explaining that it was from launch which could some times lead to talking about what the game was like back then when people show interest/curiosity.

When people did have the skin they might ping it or whiper that they had but lost the skin or that they have but dont use, or other things. Then again some times that would lead to a bigger conversation about the game around launch of other things we seem to have in common.

Now that the skin will be basically all over the place with no specific origin that meaning is gona be lost. That is what Im disappointed about. However, as I said a number of times its not a big deal. What to me is a big deal is people trying to tell me that Im full of kitten for saying this or that those experiences are meaningless. Thats why Im posting so much. Basically, because to want to respond to those I feel are being unfair my me or my position on this topic.

To me it isnt the topic. Its the tone people took with me and for what that I take issue and wish to respond to.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I got mine after todays reset, but did purchase the extra life bundle like 1 day before. So that means that if you purchase the bundle today, you probably wont get it until the next daily reset which happens at 1:00  am GMT+1.

Edited by Izzy.2951