(Suggestion) ANET let us mix outfits and armor skins!

18 minutes ago, Hyomea.9702 said:

Anet probably decided to remove the skirt from medium leg armor, since medium armor traditionally has a lot of trousers.

They did it, because they mechanically had to.

This happens with every armour that looks the same on all three weights. Medium always has longer parts attached to the chest piece.

It's related to the way medium armour attaches to the medium armour body type, which is different from heavy and light.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Hyomea.9702 said:

Interesting, didn't know that!

That's likely also why medium keeps getting the long, coat-like chest armour pieces.

I don't remember any medium chest armour piece introduced after release, that is not a long one.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

The Kryta set doesn't have any coat or buttcape

For Asura, Charr, as well as male Sylvari, humans and Norn, it is a coat.

Also, isn't that a set that was released together with the game? If we are going with skins that came with the release, the Sneakthief Coat also is a short chest piece, but my post was specifically about after release.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

For Asura, Charr, as well as male Sylvari, humans and Norn, it is a coat.

Also, isn't that a set that was released together with the game? If we are going with skins that came with the release, the Sneakthief Coat also is a short chest piece, but my post was specifically about after release.

This is what I was talking about: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Krytan_Jerkin_(armor)

• Confused 1

I don't know why some of you are using the term "Development" to justify your adamant position that this cannot be done.

News flash - The OUTFITS (and armor, but im not talking about armor... you are) are already developed!

"it takes 9 months to develop....blah blah blah...."
Development means the start to finish life cycle of a game asset 
1. Come up with a concept. (ie. what are the stats and what does this armor set do / provide for the classes that can wear it)

2. Create Artwork. (what does this armor set look like on paper)

3. Refine and polish concept (ie. balance the numbers)

4. Refine and polish artwork.

5. Turn artwork into a digital game asset (armor mesh) including modeling, rigging and animating.

6. Modify armor mesh for each variation (Races, genders, sizes)

7. Polish and optimize mesh.

8. Apply polished artwork as texture.

9. Other stuff that changes depending on their internal work flow, which im not gonna bother listing all the various possibilities.

That ^ is DEVELOPMENT.

Development is ALREADY DONE in regards to Outfits.

The difference in time is between a full development cycle vs editing a pre-made asset is orders of magnitude.

So, I stand by my claim that a professional digital artist could do a pass over all the Outfits in a day or two. A week tops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Defining terms is an important part of any discussion.

Ambiguity wastes time and emotional effort.

So we have development that means from scratch.

We also have development that means editing from a base model.

Are there any other ambiguous terms in this thread that need bolting into their proper places?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

im not talking about armor

You aren't "talking about armor", yet you want to turn "outfits" into "armor" (Modify armor mesh for each variation (Races, genders, sizes)) .... So now we cycle back around to the "it takes 9 months to develop....blah blah blah...."... 

Edited by Swagger.1459
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

If I remember correctly, Anet stated once that it also takes them so long to make armor skins vs. outfits, because they check every existing armor skin on compatibility with the new skins to avoid clipping. This production approach is imo pretty ridiculous in itself. It just cannot be that making new fashion becomes ever more complicated and expensive with time. Anet needs to find a way to establish "fashion" production standards that make it obsolete to check for major clipping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/28/2022 at 2:36 AM, Rovaeden.8546 said:

I don't know where this idea that Armor skins and Outfits are somehow mechanically different came from but it is ridiculous.

From the developers themselves in past topics on this issue. I'm pretty sure they know better about how their systems work than any of us.

You are of course free to doubt their claims as much as you want and then make up assumptions of your own.

What you seem to not understand is that outfits and armor, while looking similar to the naked eye, are coded very differently in the engine (and have to meet very different criteria in terms of fidelity). You are putting far to much weight in your assumptions on the design aspect of the set than considering the work to actually incorporate that design into the game.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Hyomea.9702 said:

If I remember correctly, Anet stated once that it also takes them so long to make armor skins vs. outfits, because they check every existing armor skin on compatibility with the new skins to avoid clipping. This production approach is imo pretty ridiculous in itself. It just cannot be that making new fashion becomes ever more complicated and expensive with time. Anet needs to find a way to establish "fashion" production standards that make it obsolete to check for major clipping.

Given that at least one armour piece from EoD clips with itself, we can rather safely assume that they don't do that approach anymore.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 2

On 10/30/2022 at 2:12 AM, The Greyhawk.9107 said:
On 10/29/2022 at 8:56 PM, Hyomea.9702 said:

While clipping is surely not desirable, it's imo still preferable to have some of it ingame, if that pushes the release frequency of new armor skins.

Can't say I agree.

You're fine with how many new armor skins get released then?

• Confused 4

On 10/30/2022 at 2:38 AM, mythical.6315 said:

Thanks a lot for posting that dev info!
According to Mike O'Brien — not part of Anet anymore btw — it is so costly, since armor sets have to be designed for each armor weight and then modified to match each race and sexes, "so it's like developing 30 sets" (O'Brien). For Outfits it's similar to developing 10 armor sets [(1 appreance fits all weights) * (5 races) * (2 sexes) = 10 sets]. The expense of creating an outfit cannot therefore exceed one third of the cost of one armor set and it should take at most three months to develop.
Is it a matter of fact that only 4 outfits are released per year?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4