(Suggestion) ANET let us mix outfits and armor skins!

As far as female outfits go for human/norn/sylvari:
The royal guard outfit has a towel tied to the rear with a velvet rope.  I do not understand why this is attractive or useful.
The ice encasement outfit has a butt cape for no thematic reason.  It appears to be armor encased in ice, lets hang a large piece of cloth from the lower back!

The Awakened Zealot outfit has a... loincloth analogue? that dangles in the front.  It looks odd, it doesn't even cover anything, it is just there.  
The shadow assassin outfit has a fancy rope tied around the midriff and a fancy ribbon draped at the hips I would have preferred one or the other.  The rope even shares a dye channel with the surface it is tied around. At least the ribbon can be dyed separately to stand out.
The Crystal Arbiter outfit also has half a loincloth dangling in front, except this one is covering an interesting belt arrangement.  Why cover up details with a ragged bit of plain cloth?
The Winter's Solstice outfit is rather nice until I see the pelvic region, it looks unfinished.  The shirt goes down past the waist and becomes a blob, I think they draped lace across it to divert the gaze.  That lace drape also looks out of place when considering the rest of the outfit.

After previewing all of the outfits and looking for foolishness I realize things aren't as bad as I had thought.
All of the outfits I didn't comment on seemed fairly well thought out, though I would prefer fewer layers of cloth on most outfits.  
The Mad Scientist outfit was atrocious, but that makes sense for an insane individual. 

"I don't want my fantasy to be realistic, I want it to be convincing."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

The Mad Scientist outfit was atrocious, but that makes sense for an insane individual. 

😂

I'm genuinely impressed with how closely you looked at the outfits.
The outfits mentioned really don't benefit from those emebellishments. Far too often are unnecessary scraps of fabric used, from which the outfit gains nothing but clutter. In these cases, less would really have been more. I would even go so far to say the term "embellishment" is pretty euphemistic here. It seems to me that it is primarily about covering up what is supposedly obscene or, concerning the Winter Solstice Outfit, masking design flaws.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/25/2022 at 6:50 PM, Rovaeden.8546 said:

ANET - It is long since passed time that you enable the visual replacement of head-wear on outfits. In fact, I think we, the players of GW2, have collectively all spent more than enough money on Outfit skins to justify you adding a little something something to that system that allows us to mix and match Outfits and Armor Skins as we please.

That would be cool, right?  Of course, they will not do it.  You would think they'd realize they could sell more outfits if they allowed mixing them.  

• Confused 5

I would like if they allowed helms to be changed, so you could wear cat ears, bunny ears, elf ears, eyepatch, eyeglow etc with an outfit. I want my sparkly eyed bunny butler, anet!

But the vast majority of outfit skins would probably look godawful if they were mix and match. They're simply too detailed/themed.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 6:20 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

Well if they would reduce the number of embellishments on newer outfits those might be faster to make and look less cluttered 

I would love some simpler outfits options.  Make them a little lessy pricey and leave some of the glitz and glam aside and just make some basic nice pieces we can use.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Scolix.4879 said:

I also wish they would make stuff like Rift warderns helmet have optional skin for asura that has earholes i always hate when in mmo's every gear piece is made for humans and all the other races just get FU deal with it version.

How many variations would they have to make to account for all of the different asura ears and charr horns?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

What's with the maudlin poetry? It had me reading the next post in verse and trying to find deeper meaning in a broken foot metaphor.

I think Gibson was quoting a song in some reference to Mortifera's regular trolling of the forums. Dunno about the foot thing, I mean there is some weirdness about how human feet sometimes look in various shoes, but considering out little I see of them I'm rarely bothered.

• Like 1

In reference to the edit:

Let's break this down. Outfits have the same look regardless of weight class. They cover a character with one look without no customization outside of dyes. They are typically sold for 700 gems. 

Armor sets like the Water Dragon Armor that was recently sold are similar: It is a single set for each race and gender, but instead of being one look that covers a character, they are individual wardrobe skins for each armor piece. This set was sold for 1800 gems, with the option of buying individual pieces instead. I prefer this system of designing armor sets and wish that this is how it had been from the beginning, but unfortunately that's not the case.

You are proposing that outfits be given the ability to mix and match with armor skins, which is what the Water Dragon Armor set was designed to do.

You are essentially asking that 700 gem items be given most of the utility of armor skins sold for 1800 gems, while also bypassing the transmute system.

Outfits exist as a system for those that want quick and easy fashion. For me, it's not about whether or not they can - it's whether or not they should. The systems don't seem compatible and the monetization model doesn't exactly support it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Rovaeden.8546 said:

Ultimately, I want the ability to wear an outfit with any headgear I own.
Tickbox to turn off the outfit headgear shows armor headgear.

Tickbox to turn off armor headgear hides armor headgear.

Well thats not going to happen step away from outfits and start wearing armor skins then.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have never bought an outfit in my 10 years playing this game because of it's limitations. Adding some sort of mixing things up etc would definitely make me consider or even buy these Outfits. Untill that time, no thanks.  Armor skins are way more fun then some dull outfit. I got a few from BL chests, and usually wear them for 10 min... XD

It's just too boring.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

With the introduction of the Dominion Tribune Manica I can see the beginnings of a compromise between full outfits and individual armor pieces. The Manica, being a single armor piece, visually occludes the shoulder armor, meaning they designed the  piece without concern for any other shoulder armor. Just with this basic occlusion system, there should be a way to create versions of most outfits skins that visually overwrite 5 of the gear slots and leaving the head slot as equipped.

The Manica states

--Wearing this armor hides your currently equipped shoulder armor.

So theoretically, we could have a chest piece with such a description

--Wearing this armor hides your currently equipped shoulder, glove, legging, and boot armor.

Some outfits might not be friendly to having the helmet replaced, but they could still be a chest skin with the following description.

--Wearing this armor hides your currently equipped head, shoulder, glove, legging, and boot armor.

This would be very similar to the outfit toggle, but it would allow the outfit skin to be tied to a gear loadout instead.

Anet should also experiment with different slot groupings like chest and leggings, but that does introduce complications.

In any case, it would be nice to see this occluding system expanded beyond the Manica, so that Anet can efficiently produce more combination pieces while allowing some mixing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/28/2022 at 6:51 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

They did it, because they mechanically had to.

This happens with every armour that looks the same on all three weights. Medium always has longer parts attached to the chest piece.

It's related to the way medium armour attaches to the medium armour body type, which is different from heavy and light.

Elegy, Requiem and Krytan armor say otherwise.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/21/2022 at 10:53 PM, PseudoNewb.5468 said:

With the introduction of the Dominion Tribune Manica I can see the beginnings of a compromise between full outfits and individual armor pieces. The Manica, being a single armor piece, visually occludes the shoulder armor, meaning they designed the  piece without concern for any other shoulder armor. Just with this basic occlusion system, there should be a way to create versions of most outfits skins that visually overwrite 5 of the gear slots and leaving the head slot as equipped.

The Manica states

--Wearing this armor hides your currently equipped shoulder, glove, legging, and boot armor.

Some outfits might not be friendly to having the helmet replaced, but they could still be a chest skin with the following description.

--Wearing this armor hides your currently equipped head, shoulder, glove, legging, and boot armor.

This would be very similar to the outfit toggle, but it would allow the outfit skin to be tied to a gear loadout instead.

Anet should also experiment with different slot groupings like chest and leggings, but that does introduce complications.

In any case, it would be nice to see this occluding system expanded beyond the Manica, so that Anet can efficiently produce more combination pieces while allowing some mixing.

This could indeed be a solid solution to the problem. I hope Anet created the Manica as a proof of concept and indeed plan to expand upon it. As I have said, I would love to see a similar sort of pass across current outfits.

• Confused 2

On 11/21/2022 at 7:53 PM, PseudoNewb.5468 said:

The Manica states

We've had armor that hides other armor since launch.  It's not really something new.  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Savant_Epaulets