Requesting basic matchup tips against all specs (wvw roaming)

Bandos.4287

hi I just returned back to GW2 after many years (quit back when HoT was released) and just started picking up thief (mainly D/P) and I've been having lots of fun running around wvw and winning handful of fights. The amount of new specs are still overwhelming however and its pretty frustrating to find comprehensive guides on what each and every new spec does and how I should play around them.

Edited by Bandos.4287
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Bandos.4287 said:

hi I just returned back to GW2 after many years (quit back when HoT was released) and just started picking up thief (mainly D/P) and I've been having lots of fun running around wvw and winning handful of fights. The amount of new specs are still overwhelming however and its pretty frustrating to find comprehensive guides on what each and every new spec does and how I should play around them. this is pretty much the basics that I gathered from my brief experience, please also feel free to correct me:

Guardian - dodge tp/pull + whirling wrath

DH - dodge true shot, avoid pull + test of faith

FB - seems to be a joke when kited

WB - dodge their dash -> whirling light/sword 4

Warrior - dodge/stunbreak their stun, avoid aoe dmg, use blinds

Spellbreaker - avoid magebane tether

Revenant - dodge/stunbreak jade winds/immob, kite when stance swap because of energy gain

Herald - dragon knockdown/facet of light

Renegade - dodge aoes? no idea what else it does

Vindi - havent seen a single one outside of zergs, so not sure

Condi ranger - dodge into traps

Druid - withdraw/cleanse out of binding roots

Soulbeast - stunbreak/dodge PBS->rapid fire, kite greatsword and worldly impact. i've also been taking roll over blinding powder solely to survive the wolf pack + rapid fire 

Untamed - have not seen a single one, so not sure

Engineer - grenade aoes especially when theyre kiting

Scrapper - shredder gyro/barrier seems impossible to break through 

Holo - insane burst to watch out for in holo mode (esp leap + secondary corona burst)

Mechanist - break ranged los but otherwise has insane ranged pressure uptime, dont really know how to counterpressure them

Elementalist - engage if in fire/water, kite if in air/earth. bulkier tempests/catalysts probably not worth fighting

DD ele - avoid fire 3, stunbreak air 5/air 3

FA ele - immediately stunbreak + dodge

Power mesmer - dodge GS berserkers, stunbreak + immediately dodge shatter daze / mantra stun

Condi mesmer - dodge shatter

Mirage - dodge when they dodge to avoid ambush

Virtuoso - dodge the massive blade attack (think its the elite skill)

Core Necro - play passive when in shroud form, engage when no shroud

Reaper - dodge/stunbreak GS pull/elite shout

Harbinger - dodge pistol 2 / stunbreak + dodge vital draw

hey bud,

There is alot more to matchups than "dodge pistol 2". So my answer will be more than that.

In WvW the d/p thief always has the advantage, that he can freely dictate the engagement. In other words, you can decide when you want to  fight your enemy, and when you are just going to hover around him in stealth. 

Every build has a healskill, 3 utilityskills and a elite. What you should aim to do is, make your enemy waste those utilityskills while you are just waiting them out and not burning CD´s of your own.

For example: you engage your target, until he burns a big defenseskill and then just wait the skill out and attack him when he is vulnerable again. Same goes for offensive buffs, or professionmechanics.

You see that the reaper went into shroud? just stealth and wait till he leaves shroud again. There is no need for you to even try and fight him in shroud. But the second he leaves shroud, you have 9 seconds to decimate his real healthbar. He goes in shroud again? stealth and wait. rinse and repeat till hes dead.

If you play with that mindset, you should be alright against anything. Alot of d/p thiefs play.... to fast.... they try and get in alot of damage and finish fights in a few seconds. When in reality you should be playing slow, baiting out big CD´s and then use the windows that open, where your enemy is vulnerable. 

DONT EVEN BOTHER FIGHTING WHEN YOUR ENEMY IS DOING HIS SHENANIGANS. Wait till he wasted all of his stuff in panic, and then clean up the kill. Alot of people will just burn 2 dodges, while you are in stealth, because they expect the backstab.... but your just standing there sipping tea... they wasted everything and you still have all your CD´s.

The best tip i can give you is: If you are unsure what a spec does, Go on youtube and just watch a youtuber play that profession in pvp for a few minutes. Seeing the gameplay from the other perspective can be a eye-opener to find the specs weakness.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Sahne has good advice. I'd add that you need to understand your own build very well, to the point you have muscle memory and can respond more to what the opponent is doing instinctually. How one build responds to XYZ won't be the same as another build after all. 

But yes, wasting enemy cooldowns while preserving your own is a solid strategy. You don't need to commit 100% when they still have all evades/defenses/bursts. Baiting those out will make it safer for you to burst if theirs is on cooldown and will make them more vulnerable overall. 

5 hours ago, Bandos.4287 said:

Scrapper - shredder gyro/barrier seems impossible to break through 

In my experience, the big thing here is that their barrier scales with outgoing damage. So this turns into kind of an all-or-nothing fight — they're hardest to kill if they're successfully trading damage with you.

5 hours ago, Bandos.4287 said:

Mechanist - break ranged los but otherwise has insane ranged pressure uptime, dont really know how to counterpressure them

Rifle Deadeye can outpressure them or negate their attacks with Shadow Cover, Cele P/P can probably outlast a power build as well, or you can try to play in-and-out using Sword/Dagger (porting on them from behind some terrain so they just waste attacks when you port back out), but tbh I'm not sure what to do on D/P Daredevil, though. Usually their main defense is Shift Signet, so it pays to have Shadowstep or Infiltrator's Signet ready to port and finish them when they try to reposition or run away.