Legendary Precursor Crafting has a problem...

... it's mostly cool. mostly. While on The Bifrost III, however, the gathering of some materials, namely Vials of Manganese Dioxide and to a lesser extent Vials of Cobalt Salts, are missing their intented purpose. Whilst I like the fact that the collection takes significant time and effort, these two ingredients mostly just disrespect my time as a player. To a degree where I've wished I would not have invested in the crafting in the first place, but outright bought the kitten precursor from the TP. I didn't, 'cause I wanted it to feel somewhat special and "worked for". But the droprate of these Vials from their respective nodes, Corals especially, are just insultingly low.

TL;DR, Vials of Manganese Dioxide make me question my sanity and frustrate me beyond belief... I suspect, other Precursor Crafting journeys have similar infuriating ingredients?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

Well....they are legendaries.  They are meant to be worked on gradually.  All the legendaries have some step where we all grind our teeth and wonder why we started, but it passes.  Take a pause, farm again the next day, change maps, do some dailies, and it will drop.  Some take a while.  

It's not a problem, working as intended.

• Thanks 6
  • Confused 5

From what I understand this is pretty much the case of "I didn't buy it because I wanted to work for it, but since parts of the collections aren't fast enough and I need to work for it, I regret not buying it!".

Also buying gen 1 precursors is cheaper than crafting them, so the reason for crafting them is either "because I didn't know it's cheaper to buy" or "because I actually wanted to work for it". I find it somewhat weird to complain about having to work for something a little after specifically stating that was your goal here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

I don't remember being frustrated with any drop chances for crafting precursors. I've crafted The Legend as well and didn't feel it took an inordinate amount of time to get those items.

The part about precursor crafting that gets me is the second tier and the exorbitant amount of mithril and elder wood you need. I know it's a sink but it feels too artificial in between 2 tiers that are specifically catered to each legendary. That's just a personal thing, though, and hasn't stopped me for crafting most tier 1 precursors. Nothing is perfect and I can live with that.

Edited by TheNecrosanct.4028

If would have been only 50-60% of the cost if you just bought it.

Also it used to be worse! At least there are additional coral nodes in Bitterfrost Frontier now.

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

From what I understand this is pretty much the case of "I didn't buy it because I wanted to work for it, but since parts of the collections aren't fast enough and I need to work for it, I regret not buying it!".

Also buying gen 1 precursors is cheaper than crafting them, so the reason for crafting them is either "because I didn't know it's cheaper to buy" or "because I actually wanted to work for it". I find it somewhat weird to complain about having to work for something a little after specifically stating that was your goal here.

The problem with these components is that they are the antithesis of the reason for adding precursor crafting. It was supposed remove the need to rely on RNG and markets.

I did it years ago when it was worth crafting. Did it by parking characters in Mount Maelstrom and gathering corals daily(sometimes more often). It was completed in an okay amount of time but that is a terrible style of gameplay to encourage. You could try to do it more passively but that is unlikely to succeed since typically there isn't much to be going underwater in max level content and coral isn't everywhere either.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

The problem with these components is that they are the antithesis of the reason for adding precursor crafting. It was supposed remove the need to rely on RNG and markets.

To remove what rng? Of dropping/Mysticgambling the whole precursor? Do you actually think these two are remotely comparable?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

41 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

If you try to get these without farming them it could take as long as I mentioned.

I don't understand, how does this respond to what I wrote? The point there was that if they wanted to "remove rng" then they would simply remove rng. The fact that the collections involve rng is a cler sign it wasn't about "removing rng", but instead about making the acquisition more reliable.

So again: Do you actually think these two are remotely comparable? And by "these two", I mean chance of getting full precursor (because that's what you were referring to?) and chance of getting the collection item.

I also went back to your previous post and I don't see any specific amount of time you might be referring here ("it could take as long as I mentioned"). If I'm missing something here, please explain/quote.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

If would have been only 50-60% of the cost if you just bought it.

Also it used to be worse! At least there are additional coral nodes in Bitterfrost Frontier now.

I did it years ago when it was worth crafting. Did it by parking characters in Mount Maelstrom and gathering corals daily(sometimes more often). It was completed in an okay amount of time but that is a terrible style of gameplay to encourage. You could try to do it more passively but that is unlikely to succeed since typically there isn't much to be going underwater in max level content and coral isn't everywhere either.

It technically still does serve the intended purpose - it sets a cap on how hard it is to get the precursor almost regardless of market forces. That cap is still technically present even if the market goes well below that cap.

It is possible that some thought is needed on just how expensive precursors should be and reducing the cost of crafting appropriately, but the function of serving as a price control still applies.

I've tried and given up 3 times on crafting a legendary. The whole process is just too tedious like for part 2 of Dusk it wanted me to craft around 250 of something and that was just for 1 of the like 13 or so things I had to do just for that step.

Like I didn't mind having to craft but they really do push you to the limits of boredom and tedium with their crafting in general.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/29/2022 at 5:39 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

yes thats literally what I said

my point, however, was not the "I takes time" or "I have to work for it" part. But the fact that "this is dumb". I like to put work and effort into something, gradually making progress. The studies in colours part was cool as hell. I get that resource requirements make you spend time in maps you otherwise wouldnt go to again and thats cool too. But "this item drops from corals only and the chance is low" is just hella boring design. There's no other way to get it than to... scour the coral nodes. And my disappointment thusly argued seems appropriate.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 11/5/2022 at 4:40 PM, Khisanth.2948 said:

There ways to make things less bad. Didn't mention it before since it is already on the wiki but in case anyone reading this haven't already check the wiki, go do that. One of the simplest is the glyph of bounty(can be bought with karma https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Harvesting_Sickle_of_Bounty)

This is the way

• Confused 1