New Hairstyles, Hair & Eye Colors

3 minutes ago, Yunari.9065 said:

When will we get some new? The last bunch exclusives we got are now years ago.

It'd be nice, if they do add more, to not make them exclusives. It was a pretty lame thing to do in the first place.

I can see makeover kit for when you decide to change things up on a character that's been around for a whil. Though even that is a little too heavy gemstore for me. Appearance changes could have been in game for a handful of gold. A permanent makeover kit would have been a fine addition to the gem store, as a way to avoid paying a stylist in game.

But it feels especially annoying to come up with a new character and realize you're going to have to use a makeover kit immediately after creation just to get the look that fits them best.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7

5 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

But it feels especially annoying to come up with a new character and realize you're going to have to use a makeover kit immediately after creation just to get the look that fits them best.

You don't think that perhaps this is by design to get players to buy kits?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You don't think that perhaps this is by design to get players to buy kits?

It totally is.

And I think it's pretty lame.

There are a lot of ways to make money through the cash shop. This is one particular way that feels heavy handed to me. I can kinda see the candy-colored hair as something "extra" worthy of gating behind some gems. But there's nothing particularly special about the exclusive hairstyles, other than that they add more options. And it feels bad to make a new character and have to spend gems for a style that might suit them just because it was created later in the game.

I know it may seem a bit arbitrary. After all, what about the outfit that's just perfect for your character? That's gonna cost gems, too. Maybe it's because appearance is so closely tied to the creation of the character? It just feels different to me.

They did give us some new options tied to EoD that are non-exclusive. I hope they keep with that.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Confused 6

18 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

It'd be nice, if they do add more, to not make them exclusives. It was a pretty lame thing to do in the first place.

I can see makeover kit for when you decide to change things up on a character that's been around for a whil. Though even that is a little too heavy gemstore for me. Appearance changes could have been in game for a handful of gold. A permanent makeover kit would have been a fine addition to the gem store, as a way to avoid paying a stylist in game.

You can convert gold to gems and buy kits, they are not expensive, or use statuettes. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

You can convert gold to gems and buy kits, they are not expensive, or use statuettes. 

78 gold is not pocket change to me. It's a lot to pay for a new character just so it can, say, have a pinecone head, since that is not available to new Sylvari.

Looked at another way, you paid $10 for a new character slot, and now you have to pay a little over $3 just to have that pinecone head.

Or ten weeks of keyruns.

This is completely subjective, but how I feel about it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, Gibson.4036 said:

78 gold is not pocket change to me. It's a lot to pay for a new character just so it can, say, have a pinecone head, since that is not available to new Sylvari.

Looked at another way, you paid $10 for a new character slot, and now you have to pay a little over $3 just to have that pinecone head.

Or ten weeks of keyruns.

This is completely subjective, but how I feel about it.

78 gold is not much tbh

Let’s say there is a Barbier in game, how much should it cost to change your hair etc? I think 78 gold is reasonable. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 8

2 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

78 gold is not much tbh

Let’s say there is a Barbier in game, how much should it cost to change your hair etc? I think 78 gold is reasonable. 

Well, we've gotten off into hairstyle services. My initial response is how it feels to have a particular hair style be an additional cost for a new character, for no other reason than it was added later.

1 hour ago, civokenes.3284 said:

The conversion rate for BL statues is 1g, since you can exchange a statue for 1 bl coin and sell it for 1g. A hair style kit is 7 statues, so 7 gold. If you don't have the statues, you are better off buying 7 bl keys for gems than the kit itself.

Except buying 7 BL keys is going to cost you 700 gems, or 241 gold, not 7 gold.

At any rate, I'm not sure about the usefulness in discussing whether hairstyle kits are at the proper price. My point is that it feels weird to me that some hairstyle options are "exclusive". Clearly others don't feel the same. I'm hoping that the last round of appearance options released before EoD are an indication that ArenaNet has decided it's better to just expand the character creation options, rather than fill out the exclusives.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

At any rate, I'm not sure about the usefulness in discussing whether hairstyle kits are at the proper price. My point is that it feels weird to me that some hairstyle options are "exclusive". Clearly others don't feel the same. I'm hoping that the last round of appearance options released before EoD are an indication that ArenaNet has decided it's better to just expand the character creation options, rather than fill out the exclusives.

Why not both?  Release a few to be available during character creation and a few to be purchased with a kit?  I wouldn't mind seeing 6 new styles with 3 available during creation and the other 3 via kits.  It would still be subjective, though, as to which ones should be free versus paid.  /shrug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why not both?  Release a few to be available during character creation and a few to be purchased with a kit?  I wouldn't mind seeing 6 new styles with 3 available during creation and the other 3 via kits.  It would still be subjective, though, as to which ones should be free versus paid.  /shrug

In my ideal world, kits would be for when you want to change the look of your character, not arbitrarily gating hairstyles. I imagine when they come out with new looks, people do buy kits to change existing characters.

If someone sees a new hairstyle and decides they need to make a new character in order to rock it, they've already paid for another character slot. Why does a new Pinecone Sylvari cost $13, but a Mushroom Sylvari costs $10?

We all know we're not paying a sub, and ArenaNet needs more than the price of expansions to keep paying their staff, keep the lights on, and satisfy their parent company. There's a bunch of stuff in the shop that seems appropriate. Character creation options feel squeezy to me.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

When they added a new hairstyle for Kasmeer in lws5, I was hopeful for more hairstyles. I wonder what the issue is - is fashion wars just xxx gem fishing rods, cutesy jade bot skins and maid outfits that can't be worn with cat ears? Is that where we're at now?

Edited by Westenev.5289

17 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

We got "Free" ones at EoD release but they're not very good. Expect more not very good ones in the future .

I really like the male asura ponytail hairstyle released with eod. I think it’s the best hairstyle overall for my lil rat. It’s all subjective 

• Like 2

In RIFT is was just an NPC barbershop.

You could get a new haircut and change your entire appearance for just a couple silver in a heartbeat.

It's a scam and it's disgusting.

You could even change ''race'' but that took their Store currency (that was costly).

You could also just swap map instance with a click of a button.

And lastly the fact that you need a Commander Tag (300g) to organize your dungeon party or squad is beyond ridiculous.

Arenanet doesn't seem to know the basic functionality/utility of an actual mmo.

• Confused 7

4 hours ago, Caille.7214 said:

And lastly the fact that you need a Commander Tag (300g) to organize your dungeon party or squad is beyond ridiculous.

Arenanet doesn't seem to know the basic functionality/utility of an actual mmo.

Yeah I got told I'm stupid for saying this a while ago, gate keeping party forming is silly.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

On 11/1/2022 at 3:33 PM, Fergie.4520 said:

Just bring back some GW1 Hairstyles they were great.

Yes, GW1 didn't sport all those eye-/half-of-the-face-covering emo hairstyles, and the hair tattoo cuts looked way better than those punk-style attempts in GW2.

Some of GW1's haircuts were even badly remade for GW2, example: https://i.imgur.com/yxYrf0I.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

I agree, it would be nice to see some new hairstyles. A lot of NPCs have some that aren't available for Players, so the assets exists, they just need to be adjusted for Players.

E.g. I really like the new sylvari NPC - Zinnia's hairstyle. Maybe we could have it added to the wardrobe too? 🤩

• Like 1