Jump to content
  • Sign Up

How much lore do i lose if i go from living worlds S1 to the first expansion?


Nerdsaurus.9580

Recommended Posts

like the title says do i lose to much of the character development or introduction to new secondary characters? that are important on the later expansions? or living worlds and the expansion and the main story are like separate from each other living world been there own thing?? thanks to anyone who can anwer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You will miss the character introductions for the npcs. Most of everything else you need is summarised in the early part of season 2, including the entire motivation for Scarlet (which was barely touched upon in season 1) or in events elsewhere (Marionette instance, scarlets lair in lornars pass, Tequatl and TripeleTrouble event, various fractals).

There isn’t a huge amount of essential lore in ls1 - it was an extremely story light season (which was a massive criticism during the original run and we’ve only got about two thirds of what was originally run). But, characters may feel jarring at first since they suddenly appear in season 2 having had no part in the core story.

It was mostly just a series of seemingly random set pieces that ultimately connected in releasing Mordremoth from his sleep. You won’t lose out too much by skipping it or doing alongside other story content.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

You will miss the character introductions for the npcs. Most of everything else you need is summarised in the early part of season 2, including the entire motivation for Scarlet (which was barely touched upon in season 1) or in events elsewhere (Marionette instance, scarlets lair in lornars pass, Tequatl and TripeleTrouble event, various fractals).

There isn’t a huge amount of essential lore in ls1 - it was an extremely story light season (which was a massive criticism during the original run and we’ve only got about two thirds of what was originally run). But, characters may feel jarring at first since they suddenly appear in season 2 having had no part in the core story.

It was mostly just a series of seemingly random set pieces that ultimately connected in releasing Mordremoth from his sleep. You won’t lose out too much by skipping it or doing alongside other story content.

OP asked about going from S1 to HoT. You're talking about what S1 (in the original form) was, not LWS1's return form nor season 2 - which based on the wording of OP, was what they meant unless they mistake the Personal Story as being Season 1.

 

5 hours ago, Nerdsaurus.9580 said:

like the title says do i lose to much of the character development or introduction to new secondary characters? that are important on the later expansions? or living worlds and the expansion and the main story are like separate from each other living world been there own thing?? thanks to anyone who can anwer

If you skip Season 2, you miss a lot of build-up for Season 2. Not just character development, but basically Heart of Thorns' first half of the storyline. You'll miss the set-up of the expansion itself, as well as the motivations for over half of the characters, and where some characters come in from.
If you skip Season 1 and go into Heart of Thorns, you're missing even more set-up. LWS1Return is not quite nearly as disjointed as Randulf said, as the "not part of the main plot" stuff was kept out of the returning, and even what releases did get brought back have suffered quite the trimming to about half of their actual content (though the main-main plot was left intact, with just two real exceptions, both of which are minor - we have to wait to Tuesday to release Episode 5 to see if more of the main-main plot got trimmed down a bit).

That said, Season 1 is fully free to players, so there's no real reason to not play it. If you are intent on skipping it, however, I would recommend at least reading/watching these summaries for the original Season 1 releases:

  1. The wiki's text recap - for the reading inclined
  2. DreamyAbaddon's 3 hour movie - a 3 hour recap video that includes a reading of all the short stories that came out at the time, but the narrative order is shifted around so it's weirdly out of order, and it includes some Season 4 details (not major spoilers, just character backgrounds)
  3. WoodenPotatoes' 1 hour summary - a 1 hour recap video, does not include the short stories but the narrative is in order and no post-Season 1 revelations added
  4. My playlist of ten 5-30 minute videos - a playlist of 9 5-30 minute videos that cover the in-game dialogue and cutscenes of each storyline arc of Season 1 (I made these, and will be remaking them, expanded, in time as I finish gathering audio and video footage)

There really aren't any such recaps for Season 2 (as far as I know) besides the wiki's text recap if you really want to skip that.

  

And to be clear, the story of GW2 is one full continuous narrative.

  • Personal Story leads into Season 1 (loosely)
  • Season 1 leads into Season 2 (directly)
  • Season 2 leads into Heart of Thorns (very literally)
  • Heart of Thorns leads into Season 3 (somewhat loosely)
  • Season 3 leads into Path of Fire (very literally)
  • Path of Fire leads into Season 4 (very literally)
  • Season 4 leads into Icebrood Saga (somewhat loosely)
  • Icebrood Saga leads into End of Dragons (somewhat loosely)

It's one continuous narrative and characters involved in one often show up in the next, especially the main characters like Destiny's Edge and Dragon's Watch members.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, sorry - to be clear season 2 gives a lot of background lore and lead in to the first expansion. I misread the post and thought it was ls1-ls2 not ls1-HoT. My error there.

I highly recommend not skipping ls2 for both story reasons and gameplay reasons. HoT is a significant jump in difficulty from the core game. It’s one you will adapt to, but season 2 helps to break you in. Combined with HoT leading straight out of the events and revelations in season 2, Id run through it first.

Season 1 is much less essential, but as stated as above it is free and you can do it first or chip away at it alongside any other story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 things mentioned in lws2 that are referenced in hot that it doesn't tell you about in the intro video

 

Marjory's sister

Caith and egg

Lws1 is kind of a stand alone lore wise

It is essentially like a thing that was really bad that happened a long time ago.

Edited by Infinity.2876
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Infinity.2876 said:

Lws1 is kind of a stand alone lore wise

It is essentially like a thing that was really bad that happened a long time ago.

It's an introduction of most of the characters that are prevalent to the plot for the next 10 years' worth of content, and its ending was the spark of what instigated S2 and by extension HoT.

 

Not exactly a stand alone.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

It's an introduction of most of the characters that are prevalent to the plot for the next 10 years' worth of content, and its ending was the spark of what instigated S2 and by extension HoT.

 

Not exactly a stand alone.

I am just pointing out that before the lws1 episodes were released we were content with a short video explaining what happened.

no, not exactly stand alone.

but it does have some tasty bags rewards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Infinity.2876 said:

I am just pointing out that before the lws1 episodes were released we were content with a short video explaining what happened.

I wouldn't say we were content at all. A decent portion of the playerbase wanted LWS1 to return because the in-game recap was insufficient to cover the important details and the community made ones were, well, community made - you had to leave the game and ask the community to experience them.

 

We were not content. We simply tolerated it because it was the best we had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I strongly recommend against skipping story chapters, even if you have to take time to farm the gold.

 

The issue is the difficulty increases exponentially from Orr to Maguuma (HoT), and playing through the story linearly helps you adjust to the ever-increasing difficulty curve before it normalises in the Crystal Desert (PoF). You'll need to slowly learn how to do up to several times the DPS of the Personal Story missions, while still carrying sufficient survivabilty, CC and other essentials in your kit.

 

This was originally meant for players to do over several years of time, as well as assuming that players have already maxed out their gear. A new player rushing through it will struggle and possibly quit.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...