Skyscale Requirements is ludicrous [Merged]

22 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

I don’t believe that you do know what content is or at the very least you are choosing to ignore certain types of content which you don’t care for.  Taking a shortcut, or using a flying mount to avoid things, is skipping all of the content which you did not do.

Yes, you are still doing content but you’re making a strawman if you’re trying to make it seem like others are saying you would not be. 

As I said, your definition is totally ridiculous. Practically all MMOs will be Content Skipping in every single episodes except in the extreme linear and closed controlled instance by your standard. And you'll be stuck in one spot forever killing mob respawns if you want to avoid your so-called "Skipping Content", as an example. But of course, you'll just ignore all that since it's more convenient and use words like "strawman" in an attempt to confuse the issue.

Yes, you definitely know what content is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

As I said, your definition is totally ridiculous. Practically all MMOs will be Content Skipping in every single episodes except in the extreme linear and closed controlled instance by your standard. And you'll be stuck in one spot forever killing mob respawns if you want to avoid your so-called "Skipping Content", as an example. But of course, you'll just ignore all that since it's more convenient and use words like "strawman" in an attempt to confuse the issue.

Yes, you definitely know what content is.

I never said that there were not other forms of skipping content. This was about you saying that using the skyscale wouldn’t skip content. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

24 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

I never said that there were not other forms of skipping content. This was about you saying that using the skyscale wouldn’t skip content. 

Before this thread, I would have thought no one considered trash mobs "content". I'm torn between assuming you are speaking in good faith and assuming you are being pedantic for the sake of it. 

From my point of view, if I have to do a jumping puzzle for a collection, the jumping puzzle is the content. The random mobs on the way from the waypoint to the jumping puzzle are not. Pretty straight forward.

And on topic, the Skyscale helps with that. Every day. I don't have to get tagged and end up in combat and slowed down. It's minor overall, but all of that saved time adds up and increases my enjoyment of the game.
Outside of occasionally farming karma, trash mobs aren't anything of interest to the game for me.

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

You are using the word "content" in the context of all objects just for the sake of arguing when you know full well  "skipping content" refers to bypassing  a plot, storyline, etc., through a means other than those originally intended. But, as idpersona.3810 said, let's get back to discussing the topic instead of arguing semantics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Before this thread, I would have thought no one considered trash mobs "content". I'm torn between assuming you are speaking in good faith and assuming you are being pedantic for the sake of it. 

From my point of view, if I have to do a jumping puzzle for a collection, the jumping puzzle is the content. The random mobs on the way from the waypoint to the jumping puzzle are not. Pretty straight forward.

And on topic, the Skyscale helps with that. Every day. I don't have to get tagged and end up in combat and slowed down. It's minor overall, but all of that saved time adds up and increases my enjoyment of the game.
Outside of occasionally farming karma, trash mobs aren't anything of interest to the game for me.

A map is content which comprises everything in it.  Trash mobs may not be the most interesting but they're part of the content that makes up the map.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Silent.6137 said:

You are using the word "content" in the context of all objects just for the sake of arguing when you know full well  "skipping content" refers to bypassing  a plot, storyline, etc., through a means other than those originally intended. But, as idpersona.3810 said, let's get back to discussing the topic instead of arguing semantics.

Why do you keep changing what I said?  Where did I speak of objects?  I'm not using your very narrow definition of what you consider content.  Content is not just story related.  What if from now on ArenaNet released zero new maps and only did story related content.  Are you saying that players would not complain about the lack of content?  I guess they would be wrong because it's being argued that all that doesn't count as content.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, mythical.6315 said:

Why do you keep changing what I said?  Where did I speak of objects?  I'm not using your very narrow definition of what you consider content.  Content is not just story related.  What if from now on ArenaNet released zero new maps and only did story related content.  Are you saying that players would not complain about the lack of content?  I guess they would be wrong because you don't consider anything else to be content.

Makes no sense but OK

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Makes no sense but OK

Of course it doesn’t because you’re on the side that feels that only the story is considered content. Therefore if the skyscale doesn’t skip any of that, it can’t be said that it skips content. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

41 minutes ago, Insignia.3826 said:

For it not even being a true flying mount and just a griffon on steroids it's not worth.

If it's not worth then, again, what's the issue?

41 minutes ago, Insignia.3826 said:

I see why I quit this game years ago.If you are going to make everything a grind to get I'm gonna uninstall again.

And out of pure curiosity -what was so grindy that it made you quit years ago

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Insignia.3826 said:

For it not even being a true flying mount and just a griffon on steroids it's not worth.

Do you hate Dragon Riding, WoW's newest and most positively rated traversal feature as well, because it's no true flying either?

Also, if you consider it not worth doing, just don't do it. If it's not worth doing, it's not worth complaining about on the forums either.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Insignia.3826 said:

For it not even being a true flying mount and just a griffon on steroids it's not worth. I see why I quit this game years ago. If you are going to make everything a grind to get I'm gonna uninstall again.

a griffon is a griffon, it can partially fly. It is  also optional content added half a decade ago lol.  So you appear to quit from games because you don't like optional content that follows the core game loop that has been in Guild wars for nearly 20 years despite the fact you can entirely ignore it while playing the content you assumedly do enjoy.

mmmm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Insignia.3826 said:

For it not even being a true flying mount and just a griffon on steroids it's not worth. I see why I quit this game years ago. If you are going to make everything a grind to get I'm gonna uninstall again.

lol, you should uninstall this game. Clearly not everything in this game is a grind, so you're completely exaggerating there. And the Skyscale is hardly a grind. The time gates are a little annoying but I suppose in a world where instant-gratification is the norm, anything that takes a bit to get is grindy.

Unrealistic expectations + the need for instant gratification + entitlement = a very unhappy experience in GW2. That's how I see this.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Aelin.9317 said:

I was allowed to feed my skyscale 4 times per day only ^^ It took 3 days to do it all due to her refusal to eat more than that. I only just did the feeding part very recently.

They've changed the feeding timer again? Oh boy... Sorry to hear that.

Still better than once per day, back when I did it, though. 😉

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

People complaining about the Skyscale requirements should just wait until they want to craft a legendary weapon. Then it's "turn the brains off and go 24/7 into grind mode" for the mats (or gold to buy the mats) that are needed. 😄

Or ... you just do it slowly while enjoying the other parts of the game. I bet a lot that wan't Skyscale do not even have core world completion - and a lot to explore left to have fun.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

People complaining about the Skyscale requirements should just wait until they want to craft a legendary weapon. Then it's "turn the brains off and go 24/7 into grind mode" for the mats (or gold to buy the mats) that are needed. 😄

crafted Warbringer, full WvW armor, Aurora, Bifrost, Kraitkin and Kamohoali'i Kotaki one after other and still had the energy to rush PoF, unlock the Griffon, do every collection I liked in PoF and LW4, unlocked the Beetle, etc. etc. and then destroyed/deleted everything in my account shortly before War Eternal was released.

after returning I spent 8 months grinding my ascended gear, unlocked the Warclaw, rushed EoD, unlocked the Turtle, the jade bot, etc. etc. and I just finished the Skyscale.

the Skyscale is just the most hideous collection I ever did in this game and hardly worth of the investment.

• Confused 10

48 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

after returning I spent 8 months grinding my ascended gear,

8 months, that's a tad long (by like 7 months) if you were actually "grinding" for it. Takes around 1 month to get full ascended for a player who semi knows what they are doing and who uses their resources. This seem more of a "it took me 8 months to eventually get it done" scenario.

unlocked the Warclaw,

Takes at most 8 hours, and that's without boosters for the reward track.

rushed EoD,

That's like 4 hours at most, especially when skipping dialogue where possible.

unlocked the Turtle,

Again, 1 days work at best (and that's only due to having to hit specific meta event timers and finding a strike, the rest is done within minutes almost).

the jade bot,

unlocked with the story.

etc. etc. and I just finished the Skyscale.

the Skyscale is just the most hideous collection I ever did in this game and hardly worth of the investment.

Yes, the Skyscale will take longer than all of the above if one rushes it with 0 resources. It'll also be a lot more relaxed if one allocates some time to it and just chips away at it, especially when doing some of the return to achievements.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

that's a tad long (by like 7 months)

no if you want the mistforged armor or the mistforget weapons or 2 set of mist trinkets or warcry...

56 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Takes at most 8 hours

yeah, unlocked it in one night, I think.

57 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

That's like 4 hours at most

no if you waste time grinding exp for the masteries.

57 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Again, 1 days work at best

plus, the time it takes to finish EoD plus the days I had to wait for the stupid strike to be on the daily rotation pus the grinding of exp to unlock the masteries.

59 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

unlocked with the story.

plus, the time it takes to unlock all the masteries.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

30 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

no if you want the mistforged armor or the mistforget weapons or 2 set of mist trinkets or warcry...

Anything ticket related, sure but those are also some of the longest to get ascended items in the game, due to the ticket lockout. There are far faster and easier to get ascended items. Sure, that wasn't clear in your original comment.

30 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

no if you waste time grinding exp for the masteries.

plus, the time it takes to finish EoD plus the days I had to wait for the stupid strike to be on the daily rotation pus the grinding of exp to unlock the masteries.

plus, the time it takes to unlock all the masteries.

Sure, if you mean maxing all the EoD masteries, that's probably a tad longer. Again not made clear in your original post but in that I'd agree.

What I was getting at is: nearly everything you mentioned (besides the WvW armor and Warbringer, which one could have had the ticket for beforehand stocked up) was a matter of gold, and rarely time. Every gen1 legendary: gold. Griffon: gold. Even the story related stuff: not that long.

The Skyscale collection is actually a long collection where only some steps can be circumvented with gold. That was by design because of the outcry and complaints about the gold cost for the Griffon. Some players will enjoy it, others won't. The collection can be a tedious or relaxed as any player decides to make it, because it doesn't have to be rushed and the materials and things required for it can be acquired at ones own leisure.

You are not incorrect in disliking it, since that's a personal opinion, but not every type of content will be to everyone's liking. You seem to enjoy things which you can have an active impact on speeding up and finishing, which is fine, in that case the collection might have been tedious (and I actually agree on the first 3 gathering collections being not well placed within that journey).

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1

Well ... if you prefer mindless grind for gear that only gives a bit more stats/convenience - but do not enjoy a collection that takes you a bit through different maps/areas (people might get to explore areas they never have been before) ... then I guess some other games from NCSoft migh be better suited for you. (Any Asian grind game might be fine then.)

Everyone likes different stuff - and they still seem pretty popular because a lot of other people also like the repetitive things.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2

Skyscale isn't *needed*.

Quality of life means quality of life. I remember doing Dragonfall farms (years ago) without Skyscale just fine, using the other mounts, leaning the timing and positioning, etc.

The whole point about quality of life is that, once you have that item/thing/mount, you, then, don't have to care about small stuff.  You just play the game and feel that you aren't being ostracized in any possible way.

• Like 1