Skyscale Requirements is ludicrous [Merged]

19 minutes ago, Image.8630 said:

Too late to change now.  Just suffer like the rest of us to get your Skyscale.  😋  We who already have it cant get back the hours, mat etc used.  But don't despair its really worth the work. So hand in there. 

Theoretically, Arenanet should be able to issue a material refund for all who already own the Skyscale.

But I don't think that's really worth the effort on their part, just because a handful of people of people think getting the Skyscale involves too much.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

and done! I finally have the thing fully upgraded.

now just need to find a real use for it (if any) since both the raptor and the springer are still far superior for combat, the griffon and the beetle are still way faster, and the skimmer is still the water king.

I guess right now it's on pair of the jackal which is mostly useless but since it's more of a trad mount once you apply a skin (I can't stand the sand effect) it's cool to ride when you just want to move from point A to point B and with the turtle which is utterly useless except for AFK where no enemies with CC are found.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

now just need to find a real use for it (if any)

What's your motivation for getting a Skyscale, seeing as you had already decided beforehand that it is going to be useless.. And without even giving it a chance to familiarize and use it?

It is required for Reality Rifts and Visions, btw.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I think the problem with the Skyscale is that it's not just a QoL mount, it has become largely essential for keeping up with other players in all sorts of group / squad content, especially map metas. So newer or some returning players will find on hitting 80 that it's rather a struggle to try and keep up via other mounts and methods. Mount diversity is one of the big gameplay strengths of GW2, but it also has downsides because of how it divides players and can lock them out of certain content.

The Warclaw in WvW is an example of a good mount because whilst there's a bit of a grind to get it, you can still keep up with other players on foot with the help of a bit of swiftness. So, it doesn't totally hamstring you. The turtle and beetle grinds are fine too, no-one really needs them, they're somewhat optional. But the Skyscale is such a huge game changer in PVE that it creates a real gulf between those with and without one.

I think they should lessen the grind a bit now. Yes, it has been rather a rite of passage, but since it's become so essential to keep up with the way the game is now played (in PVE) it doesn't seem right to make newer players go through all that just to keep up. Perhaps award the base Skyscale earlier in the grind and then let it improve via masteries, by reworking them a bit. Players who earned it the hard way shouldn't resent this, they've had plenty of use out of their mounts. Instead, just be happy that the other players you play alongside can keep up with whatever it is you're doing.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

12 minutes ago, Cernow.3974 said:

I think the problem with the Skyscale is that it's not just a QoL mount, it has become largely essential for keeping up with other players in all sorts of group / squad content, especially map metas. So newer or some returning players will find on hitting 80 that it's rather a struggle to try and keep up via other mounts and methods. Mount diversity is one of the big gameplay strengths of GW2, but it also has downsides because of how it divides players and can lock them out of certain content.

The Warclaw in WvW is an example of a good mount because whilst there's a bit of a grind to get it, you can still keep up with other players on foot with the help of a bit of swiftness. So, it doesn't totally hamstring you. The turtle and beetle grinds are fine too, no-one really needs them, they're somewhat optional. But the Skyscale is such a huge game changer in PVE that it creates a real gulf between those with and without one.

I think they should lessen the grind a bit now. Yes, it has been rather a rite of passage, but since it's become so essential to keep up with the way the game is now played (in PVE) it doesn't seem right to make newer players go through all that just to keep up. Perhaps award the base Skyscale earlier in the grind and then let it improve via masteries, by reworking them a bit. Players who earned it the hard way shouldn't resent this, they've had plenty of use out of their mounts. Instead, just be happy that the other players you play alongside can keep up with whatever it is you're doing.

But they already made it easier you dont have t wait 12 days to feed the skyscale its down to 3 days now.

And you dont have to grind for the resources for saddle either since you get what you need from return to achievements.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’ve done all kinds of meta events without Skyscale. Once you know the patterns, you can keep up just fine with classic mounts, and I mean it.

So, no: you don’t need Skyscale to keep up with other players. You *need* it if you don’t intend to put any effort in learning the paths and so on.

Having Skyscale is much better than not having it.

But not having Skyscale =/= can’t enjoy GW2 content.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

What's your motivation for getting a Skyscale, seeing as you had already decided beforehand that it is going to be useless.. And without even giving it a chance to familiarize and use it?

It is required for Reality Rifts and Visions, btw.

Well considering reality rifts were designed for skyscale...  Its part of the skyscape package, if it make it appealing to you , go get it, if not its not needed.   Same deal as anything else like roller beetle - it has races etc etc, fractals have agony resistance etc etc.  

However what people are arguing here is 'make skyscale a long term objective that you can do quickly (?!?) because you cant do the game without it'  which is a nonsense.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

all the whining and fanboyism. I don't like either, so I wanted to do it to see for myself. So far, the thing isn't anywhere near the "legendary" mount that fanboys say nor unobtainable as the whiners say, but yeah, the collection is far too punishing for what little you get.

Skyscale is the most versatile from all of the mounts and that's about it. It really isn't a huge mystery and if you searched around on the forum, you'd get your answers without needing to complain about "the collection being too punishing" ("punishing" how exactly btw?).

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Yep. It’s not the fact it does something superior to the other mounts, but that once fully mastered, the convenience of of travel it gives. You can traverse landscape on any axis without having to dismount, which overall can make it faster to get from place to place when multiple obstacles bar the way. It’s main downside is that it can feel like it trivialises the landscape design at times.

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Peter.3901 said:

And while this discussion happens my friend started his journey in Gw2 two months ago and is in the middle of the achievement already, he started the quest in the middle of this week.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please tell the naysayers what magic your friend used since what s/he/it did is impossible according to them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Well, a few days ago I finally started my work on the Skyscale after holding off on it for years. I am on the egg part, but that part is going to last awhile because I need to collect 28 more charged quartz first for the food, treats, and lump. I don't want to pay the TP prices for it, so I figure if I go slow and get all the charged quartz now before I really hit I will actually finish it. I also want at least 10 treats to skip the event ones and some of the annoying jumping puzzles. 

I also finally started doing the s4 returner achievements as well, so I figure I have enough time in a 28 day span to get all I need done with those so the 250 items of each map is out of the way as well. So when I do go for it all that would be remaining is more or less the stuff that isn't so annoying like the rift flying and such.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

Well, a few days ago I finally started my work on the Skyscale after holding off on it for years. I am on the egg part, but that part is going to last awhile because I need to collect 28 more charged quartz first for the food, treats, and lump. I don't want to pay the TP prices for it, so I figure if I go slow and get all the charged quartz now before I really hit I will actually finish it. I also want at least 10 treats to skip the event ones and some of the annoying jumping puzzles. 

I also finally started doing the s4 returner achievements as well, so I figure I have enough time in a 28 day span to get all I need done with those so the 250 items of each map is out of the way as well. So when I do go for it all that would be remaining is more or less the stuff that isn't so annoying like the rift flying and such.

Do note that you can get charged quartz by opening wintersday presents.

So you dont need to wait 28 days.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Linken.6345 said:

Do note that you can get charged quartz by opening wintersday presents.

So you dont need to wait 28 days.

Yeah, I hate the winter event stuff to be honest. I despise jumping puzzles and the like. So I could spend a lot of karma on it, or I could wait the 28 day one. I kind of prefer the waiting to be honest, but I do thank you for the suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/18/2022 at 2:46 AM, Cernow.3974 said:

I think the problem with the Skyscale is that it's not just a QoL mount, it has become largely essential for keeping up with other players in all sorts of group / squad content, especially map metas.

That's actually a thing. Especially in maps like Drizzlewood I think. On the other hand: They intended EoD to be able to be played without Skyscale. Even adding those zip lines and stuff. (I barely played the map as intended cause I ignored zip lines and teleporters and used Skyscale only. Though for the maps that got released before Skyscale ... I played them normaly. Since I did stuff in release order ... only getting Skyscale after having finished season 4 - most of the normal map stuff and achievements.)

Also to mention: The open world stuff ... is the core part of the game. (Raids and stuff ... are not the main focus.) But if you compare it to other games and their main strength (they usually have raids and stuff like that): There is a ton of grind (just because of gear treadmills) - to be able to participate in the latest content.

Taking into account that a lot of content in GW2 has been released before the Skyscale and EoD had been balanced without it in mind (probably) ... this should not be a super big deal. Maybe Icebrood was made targeted at players that have Skyscale. But the metas and stuff ... are mostly for the "farming" - if you are in the endgame. And players at that point probably want to have all sorts of grindy stuff. (Why would you want to farm in the first place? 😄 Probably for the legendaries and stuff.)

So yes: It is a problem at certain parts - if you want to do them without Skyscale. But it is still reasonable to demand the Skyscale at the current required effort to get it. Especially for the map currencies - where some people complain: If you actually enjoy the maps as intended  (doing some achievements and exploring the mpa) ... you can get a big part of them just by playing normally. + they also added those return to achievements where yo basically can get them from the achievements.

A lot of people seem to make the mistake to  think "I need the Skyscale immediately". That is where the problem lies. Can be applied to all sorts of other content where people then might like to get stuff faster. And if everything was ... easier ... on the other en the people that rush stuff too fast - would even complain faster for new expansions and stuff every few weeks lol.

Edit: @Doctor Hide.6345Good way to do it - in my opinion. You have informed yourself. And you know about the currency requirement ... trying to use the time you to wait for the other stuff - to also get the currency. This is also a way for people to not get "burned out" - if doing stuff a bit slowly. I think at one part there also was a free treat (where you need to find the Skyscale but can "summon" it with treats to skip a JP) that you can either sell for money - or use yourself. (Or you use it and buy/craft others.) Depending on the playstyle. Personally I enjoyed doing the JPs again + I used the free treat for the annoying thing that I wanted to skip. There are a lot of ways to do things. Especially if you do not need to rush it. (There is always other content to do while waiting.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 10:46 PM, Cernow.3974 said:

As someone that did Drizzlewood, Dragonfall and other metas for months without skyscale i disagree, the only mount you really need is the Springer and Griffon combined with Bond of Faith, anything else is just QoL.

Edited by Peter.3901
  • Like 6

On 12/19/2022 at 4:56 AM, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

Yeah, I hate the winter event stuff to be honest. I despise jumping puzzles and the like. So I could spend a lot of karma on it, or I could wait the 28 day one. I kind of prefer the waiting to be honest, but I do thank you for the suggestion.

That's the spirit. You pick and chose what you enjoy and work with that. It's amazing to me how many players want to rush every single reward they can, especially in GW2 where once you are done with something you have to motivate yourself to go after something else. Just going to put this here:"patience is a virtue".

Just chip away at the collection as you play and you'll be done in no time and hopefully have enjoyed the process somewhat. Good Luck!

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1