Skyscale Requirements is ludicrous [Merged]

On 11/5/2022 at 3:25 AM, Horus.8304 said:

And, if it did, it would be insulting to all others who endured it prior.

I'd be happy for all players getting their Skyscale easier. I even wish them that.

I remember how I suffered through the whole kitten never ending chain and I do not wish that to anybody else. I wouldn't be insulted in the slightest. I'm insulted that I had to go through all this crap myself. And it took me weeks.

That slow down crap, esp with he time gates, was maybe a thing years ago and not now when almost everybody has the mount anyway and it is standard everywhere and the rest has to see how to struggle along without it.

see, how I'm still so annoyed about it and it's years ago.

My GW trauma

Tyvm

What I find insulting is that I had to explore WvW for the 100% world explorer and now all the WvW points are worth nothing. There wasn't even some replacement explorer achievement added (like WvW only) after all the complaining ppl got their wish and WvW got excluded. I'm, insulted that Anet changed it so sloppyly and uncaring as they did.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, stuvvo.4753 said:

I thought it was grindy and thought id never finish it, but i did.

Unfortunately, some of you are not thinking it through. I have attempted to participate in some end game content... but I cannot because 90% of the giant zerg squad has skyscales and fly away to fast.  You are left standing there. I am not doing that Kitten quest.. those end game content are left untouched by MANY people in GW2 because of the Skyscale requirements, YOU must spend money on that story line and GRIND whether you want to or not.  I will not.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Liisjak.4509 said:

I did it last week...it wasn't that bad. My guess is you never played an old school MMO, so you have no clue what tedious means.

Ah personal insult. I know I have played more old school MMOs than you and I know why Everquest failed because of the grind and people left in Masses by millions to go to WoW because they didnt have the grind. Keep talking... you obviously don't know anything and are trolling....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Soupeod.5714 said:

Unfortunately, some of you are not thinking it through. I have attempted to participate in some end game content... but I cannot because 90% of the giant zerg squad has skyscales and fly away to fast.  You are left standing there. I am not doing that Kitten quest.. those end game content are left untouched by MANY people in GW2 because of the Skyscale requirements, YOU must spend money on that story line and GRIND whether you want to or not.  I will not.   

Which content? Because the vast majority of endgame content you can keep up with ground mounts.

Drizzlewood cache keepers are problematic, but it's hard to keep up with that even with skyscale. Griffon is the mount for it.

Post Dragonfall Champs are really hard to get to without skyscale. That's the only one I know of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soupeod.5714 said:

What content, exactly, leaves you in the dust because you don't have Skyscale? Almost all the content I've done on Skyscale, I did before without having Skyscale. I'm really curious what your specific examples are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Which content? Because the vast majority of endgame content you can keep up with ground mounts.

Drizzlewood cache keepers are problematic, but it's hard to keep up with that even with skyscale. Griffon is the mount for it.

Post Dragonfall Champs are really hard to get to without skyscale. That's the only one I know of.

Yeah, Drizzlewood and Dragonfall champs are the only examples I could think of. Neither are impossible; I've kept up in Dragonfall just fine with a glider and Griffon, and I think the Drizzlewood cache keepers are actually faster if you port to each zone and then use Griffon to dive down. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 2:39 AM, DarkInfinity.7284 said:

no one on LFG

Then make your own group on lfg, because chances are others are just waiting for something to pop up like you are. The requirements for skyscale are k as they are.

3 hours ago, Soupeod.5714 said:

Endgame content like what?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 11/7/2022 at 9:22 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

FYI, the season 4 "return" achievements grant 250 of each zone's currency at tier three. If you've played through a bunch of season 4, you probably are well on your way to completing them, and they may be quicker and more enjoyable than farming metas or ice shards for the remaining zones you still need.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_Daybreak

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_A_Bug_in_the_System

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_Long_Live_the_Lich

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_A_Star_to_Guide_Us

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_All_or_Nothing

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_War_Eternal

Doing these will also progress you toward a legendary amulet and a 32 slot bag.

Welp, turns out I'm one, or two steps from finishing those achieves. Thanks! Just cut my journey down by a LOT. 😆

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Soupeod.5714 said:

I dunno, as far as I know the only content that actually needs the Skyscale to follow zergs are Champions in Dragonfall, which is the map where you start the Skyscale collection so it's kinda related. Drizzlewood caches are impossible to get in time without a flying mount, still the flying mount we are talking about is not the Skyscale, too slow, Griffon is better (parachute and griffon dive). Maybe you can reach faster some other meta events with a Roller Beetle, but this one is easy to obtain... still, requires Lw4.

The thing of "I have to spend money" for something like a mount or a living world is kinda silly, first of all because you can use gold and not real money for everything, you have just to have patience or find some way to obtain gold (there are plenty, even F2P), second you are paying for good content, Lw4 is probably the best chapter in personal story line imho, and mounts are greatly useful, better spend gold on those prior to a legendary or cosmetics.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Soupeod.5714 said:

Ah personal insult. I know I have played more old school MMOs than you and I know why Everquest failed because of the grind and people left in Masses by millions to go to WoW because they didnt have the grind. Keep talking... you obviously don't know anything and are trolling....

As I said, pleb material, yes anyway back to the topic. The collection is quite easy and effortless as all you do is run around and collect stuff. Each collection takes about 20-30 mins max. The 30 events can be completed in the span of 1 meta event on Dragonfall. What's so hard about it? Most people complete the collections up to the feeding part in a day.

Edited by Liisjak.4509

19 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

that's the freaking point! They wasted NCsoft money on kitten instead of fixing the game they already had making people upset which mean no money.

boring people to death with pointless grind in a time when we literally have millions of other options to waste time is idiotic.

You don't understand, those folks were never going to be assigned to work on GW2 content, if Anet hadn't been trying to branch out they never would have been hired in the first place.  And you're talking as if this game is about spitting distance from going into maintenance mode or just shut down outright when little could be further from the truth, especially back in 2019 when these layoffs happened.  I think your the only one still bothered by this.

• Like 2

I'm a pretty casual player, and I managed to get the Skyscale. It actually doesn't feel bad to get if you're not fixated on getting it done ASAP. It's actually way easier now if you do the Return achievements for 250 of all the map currencies needed. I remember looking at the guide for Rollerbeetle of all things and feeling like it was just way too much work. Then I did it, and it wasn't bad. Skyscale wasn't bad. I'm currently working on Aurora and Envoy. Some people were saying that the mursaat tokens were bad, they're not - only annoyance is I played myself and had to do Chalice three times. Some people hate the druid stone thing in Draconic Mons, but it is easy, just takes time.

I guess my point, which isn't far from what everyone else is saying, is if you aren't fixated on the destination, the journey isn't too bad. Personally, my biggest hurdle in this game is gold. I don't put in enough time to get a decent amount of gold, and I am morally opposed to trading post flipping, so gold tends to be my biggest time gate.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Then make your own group on lfg, because chances are others are just waiting for something to pop up like you are. The requirements for skyscale are k as they are.

Endgame content like what?

This, LFG fills & moves extremely quickly. A lot of people get the impression there's no groups on LFG but it's because it (usually) has fast turnover. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Vordrax.5243 said:

Personally, my biggest hurdle in this game is gold. I don't put in enough time to get a decent amount of gold

Doing the network agents for map reward and sell it? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward/profit

Visiting the dude in Arborstone that sells the items (once a week) ppl need for their legendary whatever and sell them?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Doing the network agents for map reward and sell it? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward/profit

Visiting the dude in Arborstone that sells the items (once a week) ppl need for their legendary whatever and sell them?

I'm still getting recipes from the network buddies, but even if I weren't, I'd be using those map rewards for the raw materials (since legendaries require gobs of them.) But I definitely appreciate the advice. I am selling the ancient something stones though, acronym besides. 20-ish gold per week isn't exactly a lot to fund the enormous cost of crafting legendaries though. I'm not complaining mind you, I'm pointing out that I found gold to be much more of a hurdle than anything else in these collections so far.

On 11/8/2022 at 1:18 PM, Soupeod.5714 said:

Lol. I saw all the folks jump on a sky scale a few times and was like hmm that looks a lot easier. A lot of stuff in the game requires buying a storyline and a grind. Your logic isn’t really making sense. Just don’t eat out a few times use that money on gems and spend a week doing the quest or…Have fun tying to keep up while everyone flaps away on there mount. 

• Like 2

When it comes to legendaries (and this is considered a legendary mount), you have 3 choices:

• Don't do it
  • Do it as fast as possible
  • Pace yourself

When you pick the second one you have to accept the consequences. First of all there will be the frustration when you hit barriers (time-gates, waiting on events, etc.) and grindy parts, secondly there is the cost. Unless you've played for years and saved a lot, you will not have the resources, so when you buy them quickly from the TP it will cost you a lot of gold.

What's wrong with pacing yourself?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

When it comes to legendaries (and this is considered a legendary mount), you have 3 choices:

• Don't do it
  • Do it as fast as possible
  • Pace yourself

When you pick the second one you have to accept the consequences. First of all there will be the frustration when you hit barriers (time-gates, waiting on events, etc.) and grindy parts, secondly there is the cost. Unless you've played for years and saved a lot, you will not have the resources, so when you buy them quickly from the TP it will cost you a lot of gold.

What's wrong with pacing yourself?

Totally agree, go at the pace you enjoy, its just a thingy that you will eventually get,.

In addition:

4th option is don't target achievement at all apart from things needed to activate collections and then do general PVE in areas where Skyscale achievements are gradually satisfied.  

5th Option - buy as much as you can to fast track it then gather gold later to to recoup your losses..

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 10:08 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

But it tells a story. Sure it's busy work, but they explain why you need it. You need scales for Gorrik to analyse. You need to inject the sick skyscales, with the medicine that Gorrik made after examing the scales. You need to collect the eggs to keep the safe and help them hatch.  The whole process tells a story.

I'm sure it would be easier if we could just collect scales and not eggs, but then how to we get access to that egg to hatch one. This is what a long quest chain looks like in most MMOs.

Honest question(s) here:

Why do we need Gorrik to analyze the scales?

Why do we need to inject medicine?

Etc.

I mean in terms of story. I get that all of this exists to act as a time sink...but it is established canon that we can ride existing adult Skyscales.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Honest question(s) here:

Etc.

I mean in terms of story. I get that all of this exists to act as a time sink...but it is established canon that we can ride existing adult Skyscales.

The Skyscales are like Kakapo. They are isolated to a single island with a volatile ecology. They are critically endangered, have weak genetics and a disposition to dermal disease, and take very poor care of their eggs.

We need to both keep the existing population healthy--despite not knowing how they managed to survive this far--while also salvaging as many eggs as we can to incubate and hatch safely to ensure survival of the species.

We need to make sure that the Rimu tree blooms on time every five years so they mate. We need to prevent parents from accidentally stepping on the eggs. We need to carefully manage their hygiene to prevent a deadly fungal infection. And we need to make sure stoats don't swim over from the adjacent island and eat them because they evolved without natural predators and consequently are unapologetically loud.

And why do we do this for the Kakapo? Because they are the cutest, most wholesome, and arguably one of the most innocent animals on the planet.

If we do that for real life exotic, endangered animals, we surely can do it in game for a brand new exotic species that still hasn't found its ecological niche.

(This is also why Gorrik is my favorite character in the game and I don't understand why he was replaced by Rota for the Siege Turtle quests.)

Edited by CourtJester.5908

14 minutes ago, CourtJester.5908 said:

The Skyscales are like Kakapo. They are isolated to a single island with a volatile ecology. They are critically endangered, have weak genetics and a disposition to disease, and take very poor care of their eggs.

We need to both keep the existing population healthy--despite not knowing how they managed to survive this far--while also salvaging as many eggs as we can to incubate and hatch safely to ensure survival of the species.

We need to make sure that the Rimu tree blooms on time every five years so they mate. We need to prevent parents from accidentally stepping on the eggs. We need to carefully manage their hygiene to prevent a deadly fungal infection. And we need to make sure stoats don't swim over from the adjacent island and eat them because they evolved without natural predators and consequently are unapologetically loud.

And why do we do this for the Kakapo? Because they are the cutest, most wholesome, and arguably one of the most innocent animals on the planet.

If we do that for real life exotic, endangered animals, we surely can do it in game for a brand new exotic species that still hasn't found its ecological niche.

(This is also why Gorrik is my favorite character in the game and I don't understand why he was replaced by Rota for the Siege Turtle quests.)

Right, but Skyscales exist as adults and are useable as mounts without having to raise them yourself. They have an extremely fast maturation rate, etc, meaning that they do not need us. If we can, canonically, have them as mounts as adults without having to raise them, etc why (in terms of story) do we need to complete the various steps?

As to the Kakapo (honestly had not heard of them before your mention, thank you for sharing)...I am on the fence.

4 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Right, but Skyscales exist as adults and are useable as mounts without having to raise them yourself. They have an extremely fast maturation rate, etc, meaning that they do not need us. If we can, canonically, have them as mounts as adults without having to raise them, etc why (in terms of story) do we need to complete the various steps?

As to the Kakapo (honestly had not heard of them before your mention, thank you for sharing)...I am on the fence.

Well they clearly needed us for medicines, adult or not, so that was definitely a plot contrivance needed to establish a premise for taming/bonding a wild species.

The raising skyscale stuff is really just Baby Aurene 2.0. Either you enjoy bonding with cute animals (virtual or otherwise) or you don't. I personally think it is a natural and adorable extension of the mount concept to raise them and give them treats. But that won't appeal to everyone, and unfortunately the whole ecologist/parenting charm of some of the mount quests hinges on that.

You don't have buy in, and that's fine. Although imo, whether we enjoy it or not I didn't find the Dragonfall collections too time-consuming. I'm especially okay with front loading a lot of specific busy work on the prestige mount just to deter players from thinking that the whole process can be powered through in an evening or two.

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Honest question(s) here:

Etc.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Newborn_Skyscales#Dialogue

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Honest question(s) here:

Etc.

Why does anyone need any story?  The idea of a story for a game is to give a reason to do mechanics. It's always been like that. It's never been any different.

Why can't we just ride a griffon?  Why can't be just ride a roller beetle?  Why can't be just find a legendary weapon lying in a chest?

Games are the slaves of requirements, because if it didn't have them, then the things we need to do to get them wouldn't necessary we'd just have them.  If everyone could just have a skyscale instantly, skyscales would be taken for granted. There are several ways that Anet could have made skyscales as important as they are.

They could have made skyscales hard to get by making the content to get them difficult. But the casual playerbase would be angry and complain. They'd feel frustrated and disenfranchised. If they couldn't get it, they'd feel left out. It's an important mount to a lot of people.

They could have made skyscales a random drop with almost no chance of getting them, but it would have angered even more people.

They could have made you do raids for them, but we know how that would go.

At the end of the day, Anet opted for a long quest, to make the process feel like you're actually doing something. This worked for some of us. It worked for me. I felt like I was working toward something that had value as the story continued.

You don't need to hatch a skyscale. You don't need to save them. They need never got sick. They could have given out a skyscale egg to every person who finished Seoson 4. But everyone having one just for doing that would have devalued the skyscale, because everyone would have one and take it for granted.  That's the delicate balance devs have to work with.

They had to do something and anything they did would disenfranchise someone. This is the thing they chose.

The truth is, I think all those collections were what we should have done, but they went a bit overboard. If we'd have to find half the number of scales, half the number of eggs, and a few less sick skyscales, it would have felt much better, but that's just a matter of judgement.

In the end, most people use taco, follow a video, or use the wiki and all 3 collections take a few hours. If that's too much for people, they shouldn't do it, because really, it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Why does there have to be any story at all?  For me, stories make the process better. YMMV.

• Like 3