Skyscale Requirements is ludicrous [Merged]

2 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Atleast it say require path of fire expansion and dlc in the fine print.

But yea could not click on that mount advert on the hompage and their youtube channel dont seem to have it set to public either.

It honestly wouldn't be a bad ad. The camera angles are brilliant and even the simple flight juice refilling action of clinging to a surface is made to look cool by showing multiple of them clinging to a pillar. It could be a scene straight out some dragon themed movie. By trying to do a cheeky wink at the upcoming WoW expansion and its dragon riding feature they cheapened their own game because experienced players know that someone starting from scratch isn't getting to ride a dragon before the launch of Dragonflight and new players with no one to tell them this will be confused by the information overload of all the steps needed for the dragon.

I think advertising the mount riding would have been better if it was focused on the base mounts and the gryphon as those can be acquired reasonably fast without too much reliance on large groups. They showcase the dynamic movement system wonderfully. Maybe mix in some shots of gliding.

26 minutes ago, Biziut.3594 said:

But he have a life! A-Net should give him a mount for free, hand a bag of 10k gold and beg him to play.

This argument always gets me, to get a skyscale one need to live in the basement and be afraid of light, becouse working person with good social life is totally unable to do it.

I'm a working adult with a family and I regularly train in martial arts, yet I was able to acquire my skyscale.  I'm a very casual player with limited time.  It's not impossible.

• Like 12

I'm super casual yet I have all the mounts, including that useless turtle, and maxed out mount masteries.

The trick is to do things in bite size easy pieces and not look at the whole collection needed.

Take the moderate path and soon you'll get your Dragon.

Edited by Smurfiness.3714
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Maybe Anet should make a basic Skyscale for those that complained about it being too grindy. Want it without doing the steps? Here's your K-Mart special. No mastery or any skills. No Dash, no Wall Jump, no Blast, no Endurance recharge and no Mount/Dismount in midair. Only able to mount, fly forwatd, climb and descend.

Anyone can get the basic by just doing Newborn Skyscales. But can upgrade it at anytime when all the required steps are completed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'm a working adult with a family and I regularly train in martial arts, yet I was able to acquire my skyscale.  I'm a very casual player with limited time.  It's not impossible.

Shhh, It must be dark magic. Proceed and you will upset poor op even more. ^^

• Haha 6

On 11/5/2022 at 2:39 AM, DarkInfinity.7284 said:

Hey people I know I'm probably gonna get burned or told to get good but not bothered by empty words.

This is not about getting good. It's about having a little patience and being pro-active because you have limited time.

Especially for the parts where you're looking passively in the LFG with the expectation to find people to solve your problems...perhaps you could find some people yourself via map chat or use the LFG as LFH...you know "Looking For Help". You can advertise a group to do a Bounty asking for people to help you. That's what I mean with being pro-active. You can join a PvE guild and ask for help in there.

And there are dailies for bounties, like today there is a daily for bounties in Vabbi. You'll find people in LFG then for sure. Oh and there is a page on the wiki which is called Daily where you can see which dailies are there today and tomorrow, so you can plan ahead. If you don't want to do this, then that's on you.

They're your limitations and MMOs are meant to keep people busy for longer periods of time as well. So the only issue I have with you is that you have this time limitation, then you decide to play an MMO and you haven't done what you can to mitigate that yourself -and then you blame it on the game.

As far as I'm concerned the burden lies on you and not Anet to do something about it. GW2 already does a lot of things to cater to people with limited time, like not having a sub model, like not having level cap raises and not having new tiers of gear etc. and that's great but there's a point where you have to take some responsibility for your situation as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Hey people I know I'm probably gonna get burned or told to get good but not bothered by empty words.

Okay let me: Get gud, at managing your time both irl and in game.

There. That advice will help with far more than only the Skyscale mind you when it comes to GW2. You are welcome.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

I'm just annoyed at the stupid lengthy amount of crap you have to do to get a skyscale mount it's ridiculous the egg energy collection part alone is ludicrous just why it's not even worth the effort to farm and also doesn't help when you don't have the time because I actually have a life so no time, It says on the wiki will take about 3 days to get the mount give or take but give me a year or two and yeah I might be able to get one would be nice if they made the requirements a bit more smaller or even just pay gold for the saddle like 3k gold or something to help people like me that don't have the time to grind all day like others and I definitely want the mount.

Yeah MMO endgame baby. You better of droping the game then find sympathy here in the forums. People will defend weak content to their dieing breath with boomer rhetoric, insinuating laziness because you don't want to "invest" an unreasonable amount of time for a in game mount. Because if they suffered through it so must you. While also saying its good content. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

I'm in the middle of the process to get the Skyscale now. I've been playing MMOs for a long time and am no stranger to the grind. I really have no issue with the grind itself or length of time it takes, but I do find that the requirements to complete it feel incredibly unremarkable and repetitive. GW2 has so much fun, engaging, and social content to do and I feel I am being taken away from those things to wander around picking things up off the ground.

I am not opposed to having to put in the work, the process feels like more of an inconvenience than an accomplishment. At the end of the day everyone's got their own opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I started at the map currency step first for some reason. I've only got 2-4 hours max to play a day, so I feel you there. I've been putting off the collection for a bit because I was convinced I didn't have the free time. It'll take be a heck of a lot longer than three days! I'm gonna exclusively ride the living crap out if it when I eventually get it!

I feel like this step is going ok so far! I've completed two in a half map currencies by farming metas and exchanging eternal ice shards. I'm very much enjoying exploration of the pretty map and am completing little unrelated things along the way.

Actually, being forced to gather currency made me unlock a few cool maps I somehow missed. Guess I was mistaken in the fact I completed all of season 4.

Maybe I'll change my tune at different steps! I do plan on skipping a bit with tp purchases, if able. Only upside to working all the time is excess cash. Never home to spend anything! 😆

Edited by anvasera.9745
Can't grammar after 9pm. 😆

On 11/6/2022 at 6:02 AM, Albi.7250 said:

Fair enough, but there is a lot of stuff who is just there to add time sinks. Eggs, Scale and fever is the exact same thing. The achievement description even jokes about the fact that Gorik could have collected the eggs besides him himself.

But it tells a story. Sure it's busy work, but they explain why you need it. You need scales for Gorrik to analyse. You need to inject the sick skyscales, with the medicine that Gorrik made after examing the scales. You need to collect the eggs to keep the safe and help them hatch.  The whole process tells a story.

I'm sure it would be easier if we could just collect scales and not eggs, but then how to we get access to that egg to hatch one. This is what a long quest chain looks like in most MMOs.

• Like 4

On 11/5/2022 at 1:15 AM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

As has been said many times, the Skyscale is the game's equivalent of a legendary-tier mount, and effectively replaces all the other mounts once obtained. Some players stick with the more efficient mounts, but many just use the Skyscale after that which is why the grind is so difficult because its a quality of life upgrade.

I don't have a problem with the skyscale grind, but this is an insane take to me. The only mount my Skyscale has effectively replaced is my Springer.  Most of the time I just use it to get kinda high, and then I am switching to Griffon to zoom zoom. I still pretty regularly use Roller Beetle, Skimmer and Jackal, too. The best QoL Skyscale offers is letting me go afk without getting murdered while I go handle something irl.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

36 minutes ago, Ceit.7619 said:

I don't have a problem with the skyscale grind, but this is an insane take to me. The only mount my Skyscale has effectively replaced is my Springer.  Most of the time I just use it to get kinda high, and then I am switching to Griffon to zoom zoom. I still pretty regularly use Roller Beetle, Skimmer and Jackal, too. The best QoL Skyscale offers is letting me go afk without getting murdered while I go handle something irl.

I use the Skyscale, Skimmer, and Roller Beetle to get around maps. I also don't necessarily agree with that take, but it can replace most mounts except the skimmer, unless you want to do something specific like use the jackal portals. Personally I don't really go to PoF maps anymore. I would use the Griffon but I'm not really that good at controlling it if I'm honest.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 1

Sorry to say, it's not that bad. Especially now return to living world basically hands most of the things you need on silver platter. I get the frustration, but compared to how WoW was when flying mounts were first introduced, I take gw2 any day because grinding 5k gold back then was a nightmare. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, anvasera.9745 said:

I started at the map currency step first for some reason. I've only got 2-4 hours max to play a day, so I feel you there. I've been putting off the collection for a bit because I was convinced I didn't have the free time. It'll take be a heck of a lot longer than three days! I'm gonna exclusively ride the living crap out if it when I eventually get it!

I feel like this step is going ok so far! I've completed two in a half map currencies by farming metas and exchanging eternal ice shards. I'm very much enjoying exploration of the pretty map and am completing little unrelated things along the way.

Actually, being forced to gather currency made me unlock a few cool maps I somehow missed. Guess I was mistaken in the fact I completed all of season 4.

Maybe I'll change my tune at different steps! I do plan on skipping a bit with tp purchases, if able. Only upside to working all the time is excess cash. Never home to spend anything! 😆

FYI, the season 4 "return" achievements grant 250 of each zone's currency at tier three. If you've played through a bunch of season 4, you probably are well on your way to completing them, and they may be quicker and more enjoyable than farming metas or ice shards for the remaining zones you still need.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_Daybreak

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_A_Bug_in_the_System

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_Long_Live_the_Lich

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_A_Star_to_Guide_Us

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_All_or_Nothing

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_War_Eternal

Doing these will also progress you toward a legendary amulet and a 32 slot bag.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

First time I did this achievement, I burnt myself out roflstomping it when it came out.  Now I know better with my alt accounts and am taking my time.  My sweet, slow, doing it when I want to time.  No worrying over time gates.  No worrying over the currency grinds...just build everything up slowly after looking over everything that is needed.  Better for my peace of mind.

Edited by PhantomKitty.6520

I can understand the OP's frustration. However, when this first came out it was far worse. It was time gated in a bad way. ANET seemed to want to slow people down on purpose. I and many many others finished it under the time gate settings before ANET relented and got rid of it. So remember the poor souls who came before you as you post how hard something is. We truly feel your frustration but know that we had it worse. Hopefully you get your skyscale soon.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Others have pointed out how to work smarter, not harder (utilizing dailies, watching event timers, doing other achievement chains like the "Return to..." etc.).  It has also been pointed out that the skyscale is basically a legendary version of mounts.  All the other mounts do what the skyscale does (except for the skimmer), and do it better as individuals.  The skyscale is just a lot of skills combined.  Like all legendaries, the biggest thing it brings to a player is convenience.

However, I'll add to the tips, just ASK.  Try posting in map chat "Need help with _______ for skyscale."  You will probably be surprised how many of us will respond (unless there is a big meta battle on the map).  We've all been there..  We know it's a pain in the kitten.  I've diverted my play many times to help with a fight, portal someone to a location, etc.   Same as with getting the griffon--people will help.

Edited by Lupini.6938
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Lupini.6938 said:

However, I'll add to the tips, just ASK.  Try posting in map chat "Need help with _______ for skyscale."  You will probably be surprised how many of us will respond (unless there is a big meta battle on the map).  We've all been there..  We know it's a pain in the kitten.  I've diverted my play many times to help with a fight, portal someone to a location, etc.   Same as with getting the griffon--people will help.

Me, too.  I've seen this work frequently for those still working on things for their skyscales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1