(Anet just response)so why can't we get a Q/A with someone that works on PvP balancing?

zoopop.5630

i mean it seems like a majority of the time over half the questions asked about the state of the pvp realm is brought up, and yet we never get a proper response about anything besides a half answer that they are "on the works with something but can't talk to much about it". How are we suppose to take this rank serious with a majority of the question being avoided all the time with little to no response at all?

is it so much to have someone answer questions we as a community are seeking some sort light on? Doing something like this once a month wouldn't be so hard....

They have someone that responds to pvp threads. He’s not going to respond to every thread including those that feel they need a response.

That said, there will be an AMA in about two weeks. I suggest compiling all of your questions for that. Likewise, you could do the same on these forums and perhaps one of them would answer your questions here.

Balance is not an issue. When I see people play in ranked a big part doesnt even play meta builds. The issue is the thrive to compete. The average player skill level is way too low to play in a competitive environment. Even if you are on the top of the leaderboard the match quality is insanely low cause players don't even know the basics. yes you could adjust class balance, but that won't restore match balance in ranked

@Blackjack.5621 said:Balance is not an issue. When I see people play in ranked a big part doesnt even play meta builds. The issue is the thrive to compete. The average player skill level is way too low to play in a competitive environment. Even if you are on the top of the leaderboard the match quality is insanely low cause players don't even know the basics. yes you could adjust class balance, but that won't restore match balance in ranked

Eh. Mobas are easy to understand. You pick your roles, you push lane. 3 phases in a game, objectives to complete.

GW2 PvP is waaaayyy to complicated. So many different splits, you need knowledge of mechanics, rotation, matchups, what to do in multiple different situations, you have to watch out for individual people's skill level, and you also don't know what the other team is running at the start.

@Blackjack.5621 said:Balance is not an issue. When I see people play in ranked a big part doesnt even play meta builds. The issue is the thrive to compete. The average player skill level is way too low to play in a competitive environment. Even if you are on the top of the leaderboard the match quality is insanely low cause players don't even know the basics. yes you could adjust class balance, but that won't restore match balance in ranked

"Even if you are on the top of the leaderboard the match quality is insanely low cause players don't even know the basics" - You know that this doesn't make any sense, right? I know it's a small playerbase, but you can't even get to the leaderboard without knowing the basics.

"The average player skill level is way too low to play in a competitive environment." - What is the correlation between skill level and the ability to play in a competitive environment? Of course you need to better yourself to play in high end competitive environment, but, just like soccer you will have your neighborhood trophy and you'll have the fucking world cup.

The real problem in this pvp scene is the matchmaking system that are putting togheter players with TOTTALLY different skillls and knowledge about game mechanics. This leads to terrible team comps and a lot of rage and frustration for EVERYONE. To the low skill player that will just die and get frustrated, to average skill player that will see his teammate dies withour even healing himself, etc.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:They have someone that responds to pvp threads. He’s not going to respond to every thread including those that feel they need a response.

That said, there will be an AMA in about two weeks. I suggest compiling all of your questions for that. Likewise, you could do the same on these forums and perhaps one of them would answer your questions here.

Is that Ben's AMA? Wasn't that AMA going to be for PvP features specifically, not balancing?

@Kyon.9735 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:They have someone that responds to pvp threads. He’s not going to respond to every thread including those that feel they need a response.

Is that Ben's AMA? Wasn't that AMA going to be for PvP features specifically, not balancing?

I was referring to the one for the new LS episode.

YESlow playerbase -> no competitionno competition -> bad average skill -> players of different mmr getting matched together, coz mm forces short que times for higher mmr-> weak players getting farmed and having no fun to play that game -> higher rated players getting triggered by weak players mechanics and rotations > no fun too

most favourite builds -> everything with huge dps, killing weak players faster than the higher rated enemy player can do -> leads to famous builds which cover multiple roles, because you cant trust on youre team anymore to do their job (contest, duell, support, +1) (less build variety) you basicly try to do everything at the same time with the most broken current build -> people blame game balance anets listen and never take the core problem -> game dies

only solution for this game pvp would be a free2play pvp mode with better communication pre match, like visible mmr, visible builds of teammate pre game start, to avoide the team bm and giving people a possibility to play around/improving and helping each other. perhaps a rollback of mm algo until population would be healthy again, i would take long que times again for some fun matches (like in s2-4 you had 1h que time in high legend tier at late night and you would never get a pop, now 6 min? okay?). but i dont belive in this anymore rip gw2.

Class balance absolutely matters though. When 2 equally unskilled players meet the one playing the easiest, most op class is going to win almost every time. This can be especially frustrating for people who just start the game and jump into pvp. They don't even realize what things are op or why, all they know is they almost every game because they happened to pick a suboptimal class or one that is harder to play correctly.

And at higher levels balance keeps things from being stale. Enter any tourny and it's nothing but 2 scourge 2 spellbreaker and a fb or mirage, every game.

Yes match quality is low, because no one plays pvp, because the balance is a joke.

where does thou obtain the information on average player skill? pray tell that it is not thy own assumptions.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Eh. Mobas are easy to understand. You pick your roles, you push lane. 3 phases in a game, objectives to complete.

GW2 PvP is waaaayyy to complicated. So many different splits, you need knowledge of mechanics, rotation, matchups, what to do in multiple different situations, you have to watch out for individual people's skill level, and you also don't know what the other team is running at the start.

Your comparison is way off. This game and moba's are one in the same. Except this is an MMO in which PVP isn't always a focus in mmo's. I've only been playing for 2 seasons but the amount of updates to balance out any competitiveness is highly lacking. My friend who's played for a while told me that Anet really doesn't patch until the seasons over. So if there's an OP or Strong class they won't fix anything til the next season. Where as moba's "Dota for example" they constantly update if a hero or mechanism is too OP or has enough public outcry over it.There's a lot of balancing that can be done. I don't know much about the matchmaking system and i don't really find it that offensive. Although i do find it a bit rough that you can swap characters and retain ur badge level. So someone who's practicing can roll over people in a regular game and think they're ready to head into their tier and demolish.... and end up getting destroyed cus they really aren't that ready.All in all i do enjoy the pace of the PvP system, and i look forward to the Q&A. Got a lot of questions about those OP mesmers XD

The thing is Anet usually puts out balance patches after a season is over, a trend they followed when GW2 was still in ESL. Now that they dumped GW2, what is the purpose for waiting a season for balance? They game is not nearly as competitive as Anet thinks it is, so a balance patch mid-season will always do more good than harm.

Of course, actual PvP games like Dota or CS:Go has no problems balancing mid season, especially if theres a public outcry for something OP like we are experiencing for Scourge.

@Vayne.8563 said:Because you couldn't pay an employee enough hazard pay to make him engage with the PvP community in this game. It would have to be someone with particularly thick skin, at the very least. I wouldn't subject my employees to that.

More likely they because they have their hands tied and aren't allowed to answer "difficult" questions honestly.

Not everyone wintrades at 3 AM, I assume you get different quality of players around that time :)

You seem to assume playing meta build = skill, but that's actually partially true. Many people are going to win today running spellbreaker or scourge because these builds can do everything and because it beats rather easily bad setups/inexperienced players. Alternatively, since you win matchs with no effort and with builds that have very few explicit counters, you're not going to learn game basics.

Full bunker with no damage or full dps with no defense builds are going to learn game mechanics along time, learning what to do and what not to do. But you don't really when you're running a build where mistakes aren't really punished

Archived