Disappointed that Lion's Pride requires fractals

Gibson.4036

As a fan of the original GW2 LA, I was so excited to hear we were going to be able to revisit it. I was also excited to see that there were more possible achievements than needed, giving players some flexibility in how they get the mastery. It was great to have that in the Return events, where people who didn't like strikes could avoid them, and people who didn't like jumping puzzles could avoid them.

And then I realized two of the items have two fractals a piece in their lists, and only one optional task for the mastery.

I know there're probably going to be a bunch of responses about how fractals are easy, you can grab them on the daily, and all that, but instanced group content just isn't my or my family's thing. So what would have been a wonderful nostalgia thing, a way to show my family the old LA that they never saw except partially in story instances, is instead just another recent GW2 disappointment.

UPDATE: I tried to indicate that I'm aware there are ways to "just get it done". Carries. People doing it now specifically because of the achievement. Can be duoed even. This isn't about it being impossible, or some great injustice. This is just customer feedback to a business that presumably still wants my money.

I love bread pudding. You made great bread pudding in the past. Lately you've been putting raisins in it, and that ruins it for me. I know you're really excited about getting people to eat raisins, and some people really love raisins, but just thought you'd like to know I'm losing interest in eating at this restaurant with you sprinkling raisins in so many different dishes lately.

Yeah, I can pick them out. But that gets tiring quickly.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 32
  • Sad 3

Still blows my mind how some people seem to be consistently disappointed about having to play the game's content for some of the rewards. Luckily I'm also still convinced it's perfectly fine to not unlock whatever you won't unlock due to not wanting to play something specific.

Additionally in case of new-old-LA, it's possible to use tp to a friend to someone who is already there (unless it was somehow unintended and patched out? But doubt), so if giving a virtual tour is all you want, you can still do it.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

[...] where people who didn't like strikes could avoid them, and people who didn't like jumping puzzles could avoid them.

What about people who don't like either? They, too, had to do one of the two or didn't get the collections done.

There will always be people who don't like this and don't like that. If you want certain achievements, you will have to fulfill the requirements, like it or not.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 6

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

As a fan of the original GW2 LA, I was so excited to hear we were going to be able to revisit it. I was also excited to see that there were more possible achievements than needed, giving players some flexibility in how they get the mastery. It was great to have that in the Return events, where people who didn't like strikes could avoid them, and people who didn't like jumping puzzles could avoid them.

And then I realized two of the items have two fractals a piece in their lists, and only one optional task for the mastery.

I know there're probably going to be a bunch of responses about how fractals are easy, you can grab them on the daily, and all that, but instanced group content just isn't my or my family's thing. So what would have been a wonderful nostalgia thing, a way to show my family the old LA that they never saw except partially in story instances, is instead just another recent GW2 disappointment.

You don’t need a full group of random players to finish these fractals if you don’t want to. Tier one fractals isn’t bad at all. I do those with just one friend many times. You can try them with your family without making a group and see how it goes. Maybe it can even be a good experience that way. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

You can access Old Lion's Arch without it. Its an open-world map, similar to Eye of the North, just Teleport to Friend with someone in your party who is already on the map.

Also, if you ask nicely in LFG a group might carry you in the Fractals while you idle at the entrance.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do sorta understand where you're coming from, Gibson, I honestly do.  When that Decade cape came out last August with the requirement of doing a certain amount of spvp, I balked at it as I've never done spvp before and had never wanted to. EVER.

But I REALLY wanted that cape.

So after I'd done everything else, I more or less held my nose and headed over to the spvp lobby and forced myself to go through some random rounds, the first time I'd ever done so in the entirety of playing this game.  Won a few even, though I imagine my teams carried me a bit.

And now I have my cape.😁

I'm not the biggest fan of Fractals either, I've dabbled over the years, but I generally prefer the freedom of Open World. But like I only had to do an evening of spvp that one time, a just a couple of Fractals and you and your kids (probably) will never have to bother again.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I expect that my guild will do for this what we did for the turtle mount. Have some members that play instanced content normally form groups to help those who dont get the reward. I dont know how much I will be on, and for how long, over the next few days but happy to help if I can. No build judgement, experience requirement or anything of the sort...just like instanced content and helping people. Hit me up if you like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

You don’t need a full group of random players to finish these fractals if you don’t want to. Tier one fractals isn’t bad at all. I do those with just one friend many times. You can try them with your family without making a group and see how it goes. Maybe it can even be a good experience that way. 

If it's only tier 1s like Freya said, that's easy enough with one or two friends who are at least exotic-geared and know what they're doing in the fracts / with their classes. It'll take you a bit longer than with a full 5 group, but you won't have to run with a PUG in that case.

• Like 3

The Fractals you need to do are Molten Furnace or Molten Boss and Aetherblade Retreat or Captain Mai Trin.

At tier 1 those are identical to the story mode versions of the same areas, so if you've completed the Season 1 storyline you can and have completed the Fractals, the only difference is the method used to access it and the rewards you'll get at the end.

You are not being asked to do anything you cannot do, or anything you haven't done before. If you play with your family you won't even need to find a group, you can go in together (Fractals is for up to 5 players and you could probably complete it with 2 or 3) repeat the same fights you've already done and you'll have the reward you want.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Zaoda.1653 said:

I too am disappointed there's some things in there that I also hate and would never do, that are required in order to get the Lion's Pride item. I hate things like that. I wish we could achieve things in our own preferred game mode - for me, that's WvW.

When Anet forces me to do content I don't enjoy, I simply don't go for that content. This is why I'm simply not going to bother going for the Lion's Pride item. If I want a teleport item to Lions Arch I guess I'll make the Lion's Arch Portal Scroll item if I'm desperate enough, but I can always just use a waypoint for a few silver. It would be nice to have alternative options though, to achieve the same result and get the Lion's Pride item, but I doubt we'll ever get alternative options to certain achievements.

It's like how unlocking the Siege Turtle requires you to do the Ministry of Security Strike Mission - and I HATE strike missions, especially when you have to team up with people. People are nasty in general, and I don't enjoy group content. I prefer to do things solo, by myself - that way I don't have to deal with trolls and players who have contentious, argumentative spirits. It is literally the one and only last thing I need to unlock the Siege Turtle, but I am never going to do it because I hate group content, and unlike other players (spoiler for the snowflakes out there - not that I should even have to say this because you'd think it's common sense, but... - we're not all the same, and YOU may find something easy, but not everyone is like YOU), I can't multi-task in stuff like that. So I will have to miss out on unlocking the Siege Turtle entirely. That's my choice, and I'm fine with it. I don't want to do content I don't enjoy, therefore I miss out on said rewards, it's as simple as that.

I remember when Anet's motto used to be basically 'play how you want' - but now it's more like 'play how we want you to play'. I don't like that. I don't enjoy feeling pressured into doing content I don't enjoy just to get something unlocked or achieved. It's not like I'm missing out on anything special anyway, because apparently you don't get to do much as the controller of the siege turtle - it's ironically the invited stranger in your party that gets to do all the cannon stuff anyway. So it's no skin off my nose if I can't unlock the Siege Turtle now. Plus, Anet's missing out on all the potential siege turtle skins they could be selling on the gemstore, if more players could actually unlock the turtle, so they're shooting themselves in the foot, financially. That's on them.

As for the Lion's Pride item, it's just another thing I'll never unlock. It requires doing various content and game modes I don't enjoy, and in fact, despise, and it's a lot of work just for a teleport to LA, when I can just go there for a few silver instead. Sure, it's not as convenient, but oh well. I can live without it, and have been for a long time. It would be nice to have alternative options for these kinds of things, but I doubt that'll happen, because that would be fair to those who prefer to play solo, or don't like certain game modes/content.

You do know that there is asura portals in each wvw map to lions arch so why waste the silvers mate?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

What about people who don't like either? They, too, had to do one of the two or didn't get the collections done.

There will always be people who don't like this and don't like that. If you want certain achievements, you will have to fulfill the requirements, like it or not.

Totally true, or eventually lose interest in the game and find other things to do that one actually enjoys.

Just wanted to let ArenaNet know that at least one customer is disappointed that things like the turtle and now Lion's Pride are locked behind instanced group content.

4 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

In every post he is telling us that his whole family plays the game. Why not make a family trip to T1 fractals? 

We have two computers, so we play two at a time. I do understand, though, it's possible for some to duo low level fractals. Definitely not up to my daughter's skill level, and not my skill level to carry her. My son and I might be able to, but we're just not interested.

Thanks, everyone who posted ways to get it done, like finding a carry or the such. I know there are ways to just do it. I'm not saying it's impossible. The purpose of this post is to just give feedback as a customer.

I'm not angry, I don't think there's some crazy injustice here. Just disappointed.

There's no inherent reason Lion's Pride, a nostalgia item for the original open world city, had to be locked behind fractals. They could have set the mastery threshold at 11/13 instead of 12/13. It was an ArenaNet choice. I know that right now their focus is in trying to get players into instanced group content.

The great thing about GW2 is it's easy to take a break if we decide to.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

10 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

Playing a multiplayer game and then crying that you sometimes have to do group content to get a reward. 

Well after 10 years of 5k achiv > 250li groups , we are kinda fed up with instance modes and and those people . And we don't want to have anything with that 😛

We can play a multiplayer game  and group content  in the OW

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11

6 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

When that Decade cape came out last August with the requirement of doing a certain amount of spvp, I balked at it as I've never done spvp before and had never wanted to. EVER.

This was the same case for me, but I did my first PvP games for the cape. And now I do a PvP match every day - something I never would have done had the game not made me branch out. Funny how that works sometimes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3