GW2 Earning Reports 3Q 2022!

Izzy.2951

I know woodenpotatoes went to ff14, does it really have more character customization than gw2? Also, I hear the combat is better, is that true? I might be tempted to try it if so. So tired of stiff armor, outfits, cape. Although I stay for gw2 combat, its so fun 😄

Edited by asterix.9614
  • Confused 3

On 11/12/2022 at 2:09 PM, Zok.4956 said:

BUT the release of EoD was in Februrary 2022. Fiscal regulations require a company to report revenue (and other matters) in the correct fiscal year. NCSofts fiscal year equals the calendar year. So it is possible, that NCSoft had to report (different to how they reported HoT and PoF pre-purchases) EoD-pre-purchases made in 2021 in the 2021 quarterly numbers and not in the release quarter in 2022. However, I have no information if this is really true for the EoD-pre-purchasees, or not.

Yeah that is possible indeed but having said that, I would've expected a much bigger spike at some point but perhaps the pre-sales were spread out over Q3 and 4 of 2021 and Q1 of 2022, making it a spread rather than a spike culminating in a small spike in Q2 of 2022. I could see that yeah.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:16 AM, Kozumi.5816 said:

This was expected. The people who want to play FF14 are already playing FF14. EoD is GW2's worst expansion to date and they're still desperately trying to copy FF14 instead of being GW2. It's (obviously) failing.

FF14 isn't popular due to it's gameplay, it's due to it having a cult defending it and catgirls + lewd outfits. GW2 doesn't have catgirls and intentionally makes conservative outfits that cover up your entire body even though human females are attractive.

If you want to copy FF14, you need to realize WHY it's successful, they clearly do not.

Don't just dismiss the long-time fans like that. Final Fantasy sells big because it's Final Fantasy. Do not forget that it's a LOT older than Guild Wars. It originates all the way back to the NES. There was already an established audience there way before FF14 even came on the map.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Don't just dismiss the long-time fans like that. Final Fantasy sells big because it's Final Fantasy. Do not forget that it's a LOT older than Guild Wars. It originates all the way back to the NES. There was already an established audience there way before FF14 even came on the map.

Guild Wars deserve more credits, 3 big MMOs like FF14; ESO and WoW started as SINGLE player game with multiple sequels. GW franchise only have 2 and are online, its impressive how it managed to stay relevance for 10 years without feeling like maintenance mode.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Final Fantasy 14 is a whole other beast from GW2. GW2 cannot be FF14. I played FF14 (admittedly after GW2) and the game does seem highly polished in comparison. Raids are a lot cleaner and the end-game community is more vibrant. Story is much more coherent and well written. It also has servers in my country (Japan) that gives me under 50ms of ping compared to the 200ms I get in GW2. It is also localized in more languages. I also like many of the games from the franchise.

That being said, I still choose GW2 (I don't have time for both). GW2 doesn't have a monthly subscription. It's a better choice for someone who can't "live" an MMO like a content creator, teenager, part-timer, etc. I can work on legendaries over time and feel like I've "finished" something because there's no gear treadmill, meaning playing when I have time feels rewarding for when I don't. I find movement and combat more engaging in GW2. Although FFXIV graphics may "technically" be better, I enjoy the art style of GW2 much more. I also feel I can enjoy the final fantasy universe(s) in non-MMO games.

I appreciate the polish the dev team is doing for existing content. But man, would I (and many of my friends) love to have an Asia/OCX based data center. GW2 is still very playable at 200ms, but I'd love to have under 100ms. A S. Korean-based data center would be pretty nice!

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, firedragon.8953 said:

I appreciate the polish the dev team is doing for existing content. But man, would I (and many of my friends) love to have an Asia/OCX based data center. GW2 is still very playable at 200ms, but I'd love to have under 100ms. A S. Korean-based data center would be pretty nice!

I really dont know why the game is not translated in Korean (at least text) which doesnt cost much (voices are other thing..). Same for japanesse (gw1 was in that language too). Since NCsoft is in Korea, they are losing a big market and more earnings there.

Also this might be happening since earlier this year they openned a server in korea for gw1, and some dev spoiler korean language in the gw2 menu. But no confirmation whatsoever.

Same for Russian, they could translate text, which again, doesnt cost that much. And market it there also (allow russian steam players too). If they are willing to translate voices too for many languages that will be a big error in the long term.

PD: And what about porting to consoles? eh the dream.

Edited by Izzy.2951

7 hours ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

Guild Wars deserve more credits, 3 big MMOs like FF14; ESO and WoW started as SINGLE player game with multiple sequels. GW franchise only have 2 and are online, its impressive how it managed to stay relevance for 10 years without feeling like maintenance mode.

That's just good PR. pvp modes in gw2 have been in de-facto maintenance mode for years. It's just not outwardly said, but we know it's the case.

• Like 1