The next evolution of GW2

Artemis.8034

Lets go Anet its time to start working on a VR mmo. The rise of VR will only gain momentum from here on, and the tech will only get better. We had a Sandbox VR open in my city and its amazing! https://sandboxvr.com/ I cant wait till we have VR for GW2 hopefully. The next generation will have the best gaming experience in history. Maybe you can lease GW2 to Sandbox VR that would be so fun to experience. Its only going to get better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Lets go Anet its time to start working on a VR mmo. The rise of VR will only gain momentum from here on, and the tech will only get better. We had a Sandbox VR open in my city and its amazing! https://sandboxvr.com/ I cant wait till we have VR for GW2 hopefully. The next generation will have the best gaming experience in history. Maybe you can lease GW2 to Sandbox VR that would be so fun to experience. Its only going to get better.

I wanted to place a wow 😮 emoji.

Unfortunately, there isn't one, so I left it blank, and put one of my own text instead.

You already had a confused one in there.

But yeah, wow.

You are refering to an entire 3D virtual world, right?

I've only seen one for a famous survival game.

So you have one of those in your town?

I'd imagine it to be a really fun place to spend an afternoon or evening.

Would be interesting. 

I think the closest thing I got to a virtual 3D world was those red and blue paper specs.

I went on a pirate ship simulator ride once.

... and my Driving theory test simulator.

A 3D V Tyria?

Why not?

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

So you have one of those in your town?

Yes! and its like being there. Okay for starters when you suit up everyone on your team sees your body and armor and weapons in real time as your character, and you see them as theirs! Its all in real time no lag and what you see hear and feel its like you are your avatar, so amazing. There are different adventures but this is one. And its very real feeling. 

You mentioned a pirate ship, they have that too. there will be more and more themes as they expand

Edited by Artemis.8034
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

How cool is that!?

Thanks for the demo.

Looks fantastic. 

Oh you get a recording of your event so you can play it back at home and see you on the screen as your character. Can you imagine fighting shatterer or Teq in real time VR lol

Haha why the sadface, fighting those dragons would be amazing in VR imagine jumping the shockwave in real time lol

Edited by Artemis.8034
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

TBH I would guess OP is young. People from around in the 90s know its like 20+ year old tech. People back in the late 90s said VR was gona be the next big thing too but headsets and running pads and stuff are just not very practical, not to mention cost and space requirements to get a decent VR setup going, even today. That whole idea that everyone is gona move to a VR space, per say, is real fantasy if you ask me. 😃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Moradorin.6217 said:

TBH I would guess OP is young. People from around in the 90s know its like 20+ year old tech. People back in the late 90s said VR was gona be the next big thing too but headsets and running pads and stuff are just not very practical, not to mention cost and space requirements to get a decent VR setup going, even today. That whole idea that everyone is gona move to a VR space, per say, is real fantasy if you ask me. 😃

Have you even checked out how it works? This isnt you dads VR its a whole other level. And the tech is only getting better, pretty soon you won't be able to tell reality from VR

• Haha 3
  • Confused 5

7 minutes ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Have you even checked out how it works? This isnt you dads VR its a whole other level. And the tech is only getting better, pretty soon you won't be able to tell reality from VR

The question is, have you? I mean have you done any basic research or even done some basic VR gaming EVER in your life? Not only hyping and drooling over some cut together trailer footage?

There are reasons why VR hasn't taken off over the last 20 years, and not all of them are tech related.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Cyninja.2954 said:

The question is, have you? I mean have you done any basic research or even done some basic VR gaming EVER in your life? Not only hyping and drooling over some cut together trailer footage?

There are reasons why VR hasn't taken off over the last 20 years, and not all of them are tech related.

Yes we went to the one in STL. Its not for the faint of heart if you have medical conditions its prob best you skip it. when they opened this month they had great discounts for the opening so a lot of us went. Like i said in time VR will become portable and you can enter any where.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Yes we went to the one in STL. Its not for the faint of heart if you have medical conditions its prob best you skip it. when they opened this month they had great discounts for the opening so a lot of us went. Like i said in time VR will become portable and you can enter any where.

Well keep us posted on how long they are up and running and once VR does become portable with this level of custom tech (or better say "if" within the next 10 years) you can start looking at adoption and spread ratios because so far, VR has been a bust far and wide.

• Like 8

Just now, Cyninja.2954 said:

Well keep us posted on how long they are up and running and once VR does become portable with this level of custom tech (or better say "if" within the next 10 years) you can start looking at adoption and spread ratios because so far, VR has been a bust far and wide.

They have been pretty good so far they opened around the world and have a a lot in NA and branching out around the world https://sandboxvr.com/

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Everything starts somewhere, even pc games started in a niche with bad code and  little player base. VR is evolving the youth know this but older people are stuck in the past. Its entertainment and another thing to do to have fun. 

Those older people you mention are the ones who drive the innovation of the future and with the obesity rates we see among the youth you mention, and with their lack of disposable income, it seems questionable that they will pay to exercise in sufficiently large numbers to carry this tech forward on their own.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Lets go Anet its time to start working on a VR mmo.

The next generation will have the best gaming experience in history.

I don't think that the next generation will have the best gaming experience in history. I think it will the generation after that, or maybe the generation after that, or....

From what I saw in their advertising (they look for franchise partners)  it is a group experience where several players stand together in an empty green-screen room with VR-headsets, body-sensors and weapon-controllers.

So, the most use cases will be that the group somehow is standing in-game on some kind of platform and the action/game happens around them as we could see in the demo video.

Sure, depending on the game, this could be fun for a while for some, but it is quite a limited VR use case/experience and it does not solve any of the problems, that slowed down VR adoption in the last 20 years.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Staff thief with bounding dodger in accurate 1st person view. 

Good luck.

Thief using Dagger Storm in accurate 1st person view.

Engineer using the new animation for Jump Shot in accurate 1st person view.

Revenant using Unrelenting Assault in accurate 1st person view.

Anyone using Bouncing Mushrooms in HoT/related areas in accurate 1st person view.

...and so on and so forth.

If you'll excuse me, I'll be over here - far, FAR over here - preemptively avoiding the storm of sick that's sure to ensue.

Pretty sure you can already do this if you have a VR headset, the main difference being the lack of hand sensors.

It seems needlessly complicated and the financial barrier to VR is getting higher and higher, especially when you start adding sensors to multiple parts of the body. And of course that's not even getting into the physical space issue if one is expected to move around. It's something that would need to be built from the ground up (and certainly on a new engine), not tacked on. And like someone else said, VR has been around for decades but has never gotten bigger than a gimmick, much like how 3D TVs became the "in" thing briefly but fizzled out quickly.

GW2's big appeal is that it's affordable compared to similar MMOs. Lots of people have a computer these days, not many have a VR headset and sensors and that's going to add hundreds—if not thousands—for the consumer to play a "free" game. The return of investment ratio is going to lean heavily into the cost to create such a game with very little return.

Which, again, is fine for other games if they have that amount of capital to burn and are built from the ground up with VR in mind and specifically markets to people who already have or are planning to get a VR set, but you can't port a 10 year old MMO running on a 20 year old engine and get a 1:1 VR experience. Especially when most of that audience doesn't have a VR set and has no interest or ability in getting a VR set.

• Like 1

As someone with sciatica, painful arches, and weak arms, I would not be able to participate.  I also get motion sick from visual motion that doesn't match my body movement.  Someone else suggested OP is young, and I'll agree not due to the content but due to their excitement at the idea of lengthy physical movement to accomplish what our game avatars can do.  In my early 20's when I was fencing and LARPing and waltzing I'd probably have been thrilled by the concept as well.

I also don't want to get smacked in my head and body by excited people reacting to the VR baddies.  I bruise easily!

VR is not anywhere near ready for mass market implementation, a lot of people don't even have enough room to set it up.  Then there are the people who can't play VR with any movement because it makes them immediately vomit. 

Neither of these issues have been solved in the 6 or so years I've had a headset either and I don't think the investment into VR development will make sense financially until they do.

11 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

They have been pretty good so far they opened around the world and have a a lot in NA and branching out around the world https://sandboxvr.com/

Another aspect I find hard about VR in general is practicality. For instance, I like to chill and vape herb, drink, eat, move around (in real space) while I play. VR to be immersive wants to put you into the VR space, but that makes doing all those real things that make my overall experience comfortable very impractical and kind of a pain in the kitten. Meanwhile, I can play and do all of that and even be watching a movie on my other monitor while I use my good old eyeballs and neck/head device. Just saying. I think Im happier with what I have now vs. what you suggest no matter how pretty the graphics become.

That said, I can see some niche use for VR. It has always had some neat niche applications. I just think the whole concept that people are gona want to be strapped into VR all the time as a general behavior seems like total fantasy.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Like 1