Did ArenaNet forget the OG genius?

Adonan.7985

10 minutes ago, Adonan.7985 said:

Oh I will, as soon as I get a satisfactory answer as to why she's gone, or at least a, "retirement" arc. It's called good story telling. I don't even like Logan that much, yet I still want a reason for his absence too.

There isn't one for Zojja, not yet, and maybe not ever. Logan however has been showing up periodically over that past several years, including the finale of EoD.

4 minutes ago, Tom.8029 said:

Tiami was talking smack about Zojja this patch in the return to living world season 1, in episode 5. So atleast she’s still somewhat fresh in their minds. 

Perhaps, but I'm inclined to think that dialog from Taimi is the same she used back when the original Season One ran, before Zojja got gotten at during Heart of Thorns. As such it may not be in from of their minds.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107

16 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

There isn't one for Zojja, not yet, and maybe not ever. Logan however has been showing up periodically over that past several years, including the finale of EoD.

Really? I haven't finished the EoD story yet, but I don't recall him showing up before that. If anything, from what I remember of the HoT story, he was a vegetable after that whole fiasco; Zojja was at least cognitive. If anyone disappeared it should have been Thackery.

54 minutes ago, Adonan.7985 said:

Really? I haven't finished the EoD story yet, but I don't recall him showing up before that. If anything, from what I remember of the HoT story, he was a vegetable after that whole fiasco; Zojja was at least cognitive. If anyone disappeared it should have been Thackery.

He was injured during HoT but he comes back into the story in Season 3.

Season 3 spoilers:

Spoiler

He becomes the Pact Marshal after the player character turned down the job, because it's almost entirely administrative with minimal field work. So we don't see him as often because he's mainly running things behind the scenes but he makes appearences in Season 4 and 5 and EoD.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adonan.7985 said:

What Danikat said, plus the fact that Logan's injuries seemed to have been physical rather than mental, at least to the best of my memory. Its been a little while since I've re-played HoT, but I do recall him wearing bandages over parts of his body in Season Three.

Kind of begs the question as to why Logan came out with his mind intact but Zojja didn't....

10 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

What Danikat said, plus the fact that Logan's injuries seemed to have been physical rather than mental, at least to the best of my memory. Its been a little while since I've re-played HoT, but I do recall him wearing bandages over parts of his body in Season Three.

Kind of begs the question as to why Logan came out with his mind intact but Zojja didn't....

If I remember right, Mordremoth attacked both of their strength when they were imprisoned with Zojja having her mind being attacked and Logan had his physical strength being attacked while also trying to clone them.

Focusing on weakening their strength so that even if they manage to escape imprisonment, they will not be at their best anymore.

Physical damage to reduce physical strength is a lot easier to work around through time but mental damage if gone too far is something cannot be recovered.

Logan may not be as strong as he once was during his Destiny Edge days due to what Mordremoth did to him but he manage to work around it to get back to near or equal to that strength over time through the course of the story thanks to new advancements in weapons, armor, and etc. Taimi, as another example, can now walk normally and her life been extended by maybe a few more years or atleast to her adult age life thanks to jade tech exoskeleton she got in EoD supporting her physically weakened areas of her body.

As for Zojja, well we can only wait to see if they even consider making something that can repair permanent brain damage.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Adonan.7985 said:

Why is it I haven't seen or heard from Zojja in... gods know how long? Joon only serves to remind me that Zojja is still out there.

They name drop her in a very suspicious manner at the beginning of End of Dragons. And recently on the forums, Bobby Stein reacted to the previous recent thread about Zojja:

15 hours ago, Adonan.7985 said:

Oh I will, as soon as I get a satisfactory answer as to why she's gone, or at least a, "retirement" arc. It's called good story telling. I don't even like Logan that much, yet I still want a reason for his absence too.

Not even Rox got a decent retirement statement... We know where she went but she just disappears technically. Doesn't tell us she's leaving or saying good-bye. The only reason we know is because we eavesdropped her talks with Bottica and she ended up showing up for the EoD epilogue and that one IBS mission.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Adonan.7985 said:

I don't even like Logan that much, yet I still want a reason for his absence too.

I remember Logan becoming the new Pact Marshal, which was turned into a desk job between HoT and Season 3.

That'd be the reason he's not constantly with us. And even without that position, he'd be busy protecting the queen.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

Zojja ? Who the hell is that ? Taimi grandmother ? Phlunt's wife ?

Taimi's stepmother and Vorpp's wife*

So close with your joke, and probably wholly unintended.

Spoiler

Not confirmed wife but for some reason Taimi talks about Zojja and Vorpp in conjunction a lot in S1 and notes them both taking care of her...

42 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I remember Logan becoming the new Pact Marshal, which was turned into a desk job between HoT and Season 3.

That'd be the reason he's not constantly with us. And even without that position, he'd be busy protecting the queen.

He left the Seraph to become Pact Marshal, he's no longer protecting the queen. It was the whole reason behind the retcon of Jennah's feelings for Logan (in the PS, she confirms to the PC that she loves Logan but doesn't want him to be a servant following her, while in S3 it is repeatedly stated via herself and others that she never loved Logan).

Oddly despite this, he shows up as a Seraph Captain representative in IBS...

14 hours ago, Drakz.7051 said:

Hibernating in her golem until whatever new set of writers they hire remember that she exists.

Besides the fact Mr Sparkles was found and confirmed destroyed beyond repair.

On 11/12/2022 at 2:40 PM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

He left the Seraph to become Pact Marshal, he's no longer protecting the queen. It was the whole reason behind the retcon of Jennah's feelings for Logan (in the PS, she confirms to the PC that she loves Logan but doesn't want him to be a servant following her, while in S3 it is repeatedly stated via herself and others that she never loved Logan).

Oddly despite this, he shows up as a Seraph Captain representative in IBS...

I don't think it's explicitly said he completely resigned from the Seraph to take the role. Plus the fact it's not explicit that Jennah's feelings toward Logan were retconned.

Though in a general sense, Logan as Seraph rep makes complete sense and isn't weird or odd at all.

He's a respected officer of the Seraph with a solid record under his belt and is personally a close friend of one of the ranking Charr in the leadership structure of the legions (Rytlock) and known among the Charr as well. If you wanted a field commander to take reinforcements to the Charr, who else would be a better choice, as Logan knows how the Charr fight and operate more then most Seraph officers do.

Edited by Kalavier.1097
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

I don't think it's explicitly said he completely resigned from the Seraph to take the role.

Logan Thackeray: Well, my eyes were opened to...my role here.
Logan Thackeray: Her Majesty has always been the kind of person to do things her own way. It's time I started doing the same.
<Character Name>: It's a great honor, and you deserve it. Have you told her yet? I imagine she'll be disappointed.
Logan Thackeray: I think she'll be...just fine. Have a safe mission. See you on the other side.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Regrouping_with_the_Queen#Dialogue
Not explicitly, but indirectly it is fairly clear that he's leaving the Seraph. Jennah wouldn't be disappointed if he was still going to be Seraph Captain - it's not like she'd be disappointed he'd be off fighting dragons, since she pushed him to do that during Caudecus' Manor story mode. And the entire purpose of Trahearne being the Pact Marshal was because he wasn't affiliated with any major group backing the Pact. If Logan remained a member of the Seraph then that issue would have remained present.

Plus the fact it's not explicit that Jennah's feelings toward Logan were retconned.

PC: You know that you could stop him, right? One word from you, and he'd stay.
Queen Jennah: No, Advocate. I have enough servants—I want a partner. Logan must be free to make his own decisions. I made such a mistake once before. I won't make it again.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kellach's_Attack#Dialogue
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Queen's_Justice#Dialogue

PC: If I may be so bold, ma'am, the two of you seem to care about one another very much.
Queen Jennah: He is like an angel sent from Dwayna to be at my side. If things were different, or if Kryta were at peace. then perhaps...

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Queen's_Justice#Dialogue

Queen Jennah: That's not necessary. I hear the whispers, and I see with my own eyes. Logan is...a loyal servant, and a friend. I think he's coming to terms with that. At last.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Regrouping_with_the_Queen#Dialogue

That's a pretty explicit retcon.

He's a respected officer of the Seraph with a solid record under his belt and is personally a close friend of one of the ranking Charr in the leadership structure of the legions (Rytlock) and known among the Charr as well. If you wanted a field commander to take reinforcements to the Charr, who else would be a better choice, as Logan knows how the Charr fight and operate more then most Seraph officers do.

But he hasn't been associated with the Seraph for roughly 3 years by that point in time. He'd be an advisor role at best, not their leader. And he wasn't present in any form of representing the Pact, despite obvious Elder Dragon involvement in the narrative (e.g., the Pact's one job), and one of the main stipulations of Logan becoming Pact Marshal was to be a desk job, not on the front lines like Drizzlewood (something they forgot in Season 4 as well).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

That's a pretty explicit retcon.

As had been discussed before, it's not as explicit and can be taken in various ways other then full hard retcon. Such as them understanding they cannot be together politically

But he hasn't been associated with the Seraph for roughly 3 years by that point in time. He'd be an advisor role at best, not their leader. And he wasn't present in any form of representing the Pact, despite obvious Elder Dragon involvement in the narrative (e.g., the Pact's one job), and one of the main stipulations of Logan becoming Pact Marshal was to be a desk job, not on the front lines like Drizzlewood (something they forgot in Season 4 as well).

Again, We don't know what he's been doing. he could've been working off and on with the Seraph. He's still the Seraph with most experience and such working with the Charr. He could've been pinged to do it because of Lake Doric, where he was the Seraph in charge coordinating with the blood legion warband and thus it's a direct and clear returning the favor.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

As had been discussed before, it's not as explicit and can be taken in various ways other then full hard retcon. Such as them understanding they cannot be together politically

Queen Jennah explicitly states in the person story that she wants him to treat himself as more than a servant, and believes that when peace comes they can be together at last.
In Season 3, however, she again explicitly states that she always viewed him as nothing more than a servant and friend and is glad that he's finally realizing that - the complete opposite of what she said before. This is despite the main cause of potential scandal - Caudecus - being ousted as an enemy of the state and Kryta almost coming to peace.

That is as explicit as you can possibly get. Jennah very literally friendzoned Logan in Season 3, despite calling herself star crossed lovers in the personal story. Turning Logan from a lover of strained restrictions to a simp of 11 years in the process.

1 hour ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Again, We don't know what he's been doing. he could've been working off and on with the Seraph. He's still the Seraph with most experience and such working with the Charr. He could've been pinged to do it because of Lake Doric, where he was the Seraph in charge coordinating with the blood legion warband and thus it's a direct and clear returning the favor.

We do know what he's been doing though, he's been working as the Pact Marshal all this time. Nothing hints or suggest he's still with the Seraph, until - or rather, except - that one little stint in IBS Episode 3. In Season 3, he says he's leaving to lead the Pact, in Season 4 he's leading the Pact, and in Champions and EoD, he's again leading the Pact before retiring.
Also, there were also several other Seraph Captains (weirdly a lot given there's supposed to only be a handful - another bit of lore inconsistency in S3E4) oversiding Lake Doric - it wasn't just Logan.

• Like 2

Queen Jennah explicitly states in the person story that she wants him to treat himself as more than a servant, and believes that when peace comes they can be together at last.
In Season 3, however, she again explicitly states that she always viewed him as nothing more than a servant and friend and is glad that he's finally realizing that - the complete opposite of what she said before. This is despite the main cause of potential scandal - Caudecus - being ousted as an enemy of the state and Kryta almost coming to peace.

That is as explicit as you can possibly get. Jennah very literally friendzoned Logan in Season 3, despite calling herself star crossed lovers in the personal story. Turning Logan from a lover of strained restrictions to a simp of 11 years in the process.

And in Season 3 she's surrounded by guards, servents, civilians hiding in the throne room. The other one is when the only people in the room outside of the orders are shining blade, and nobody would gossip.

So yes, it makes perfect sense why she acts differently when there are literally servants, nobles, and other civilians around. edit: It's actually brought up in the season 3 instance as well, with one of the lady's in waiting comments on Logan's view of Jennah. One is an instance of quiet, personal confidence. The other is a public conversation with many on-lookers and gossipers.

Caudacus was also not the only person who could've objected. Yes, he'd be a major one but it's always treated as an issue with the NOBILITY AS A WHOLE, not just her political enemies. The actual politics of the nation. Anise even comments on this in Season 2, "Countess Anise: Then we must do something about that! Nobility isn't in the blood, as so many believe. It's in your choices."

So yes, as discussed before in other topics, there is absolutely and entirely ways to take the dialogue in ways other then "Lol F for Logan hard retcon Jennah is a bleep"

We do know what he's been doing though, he's been working as the Pact Marshal all this time. Nothing hints or suggest he's still with the Seraph, until - or rather, except - that one little stint in IBS Episode 3. In Season 3, he says he's leaving to lead the Pact, in Season 4 he's leading the Pact, and in Champions and EoD, he's again leading the Pact before retiring.

Also, there were also several other Seraph Captains (weirdly a lot given there's supposed to only be a handful - another bit of lore inconsistency in S3E4) oversiding Lake Doric - it wasn't just Logan.

And how many of them are personal friends of the husband of the acting Blood legion Imperator and has adventured with Charr for a while and has a decent understanding of how they fight/think?

This isn't some random officer sent to represent Kryta, but a champion of Queen Jennah and a good friend of Rytlock. So there is some respect there that Bob the Seraph Captain of DR (post Logan leaving) may not have.

Edited by Kalavier.1097
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

And in Season 3 she's surrounded by guards, servents, civilians hiding in the throne room. The other one is when the only people in the room outside of the orders are shining blade, and nobody would gossip.

So yes, it makes perfect sense why she acts differently when there are literally servants, nobles, and other civilians around. edit: It's actually brought up in the season 3 instance as well, with one of the lady's in waiting comments on Logan's view of Jennah. One is an instance of quiet, personal confidence. The other is a public conversation with many on-lookers and gossipers.

It's the same kitten thing in the personal story though. She's surrounded by members of the Orders who hold zero loyalty to avoiding gossiping about the Queen.

Neither is an instance of quiet, personal confidence.

15 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

And how many of them are personal friends of the husband of the acting Blood legion Imperator and has adventured with Charr for a while and has a decent understanding of how they fight/think?

This isn't some random officer sent to represent Kryta, but a champion of Queen Jennah and a good friend of Rytlock. So there is some respect there that Bob the Seraph Captain of DR (post Logan leaving) may not have.

Why would any of that matter? In fact, all that would make the gesture seem less genuine from the state, and more a personal matter from Logan. By sending "Bob the Seraph Captain of DR", they'd be showing that it is a genuine gesture from the state, rather than sending "former Seraph Captain and best buddy of Tribune Brimstone".

4 hours ago, Val.7826 said:

I just suspect the devs had some problems with Zojja voice actress, but not definitive ones, so they are keeping Zojja alive but behind the scenes until that problem is solved in a way or another

As has been restated in this thread a few times, that not a reason for ArenaNet to permanently Fridge a character when they could just recast her VA.  They've done it multiple times with other, more popular characters (see Canach), no reason not to do so here.