Rev changes November 29th patch

Buran.3796

2 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

I enjoy it but is significantly worse than Herald or Renegade if the foeas are challenging. A simple example: go Drizzlewood and face a couple of groups with 5 veteran charrs (usually each one has a thief with blinds, a engineer with knockbacks, some warriors... ), the numbers you proc at the begining are fun, but after a few interrupts you end bodied, because the spec has 0 native cc to set the damage. Meanwhile, condi Herald casts axe #5, Chaotic Release, Elemental Blast, swap to Mallyx > Call to Anguish > Embrace the Darkness and voila!, either everything is dead or you already out of cooldown to repeat it again. Renegade isn't as tanky, but has the advantage of range to deal with foes.

Vindi is great vs regular enemies with not much threat or single bosses with well telegraphed attacks, but vs crowds or bosses which are very nimble or rich in cc is way worse. Is a kamikaze gameplay style. Love the mobility and self buff ability, but if I really want the task to be done in a single attempt is not my main choice.

I just did what you said, went to drizzlewood and killed them all without thinking. Vindicator has enough damage that I can just burst it down. What do you mean by setting up damage with CC? This isn't PvP. You just hit your skills and that's really it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At this rate they might as well force Herald on new players and remove core from the game. The class has been a dumpster for so long now that I don't even have the will to log in.

Any of the changes has absolutely done nothing to improve the profession at it's BASE state and that's incredibly sad.

• Like 3
  • Confused 7

4 minutes ago, Shao.7236 said:

At this rate they might as well force Herald on new players and remove core from the game. The class has been a dumpster for so long now that I don't even have the will to log in.

Any of the changes has absolutely done nothing to improve the profession at it's BASE state and that's incredibly sad.

What are you even talking about? No class has a core spec meta build, and hasn't for a long time. Revenant has as good core gameplay and power level as any other class in the game. They have now made a number of buffs to Revenant's CORE weapons.

With Elite Specs if you want to do Damage, you have a top-tier Condition and Power build. If you want to do Alacrity you have a solid build. If you want to do Quickness you have what will probably be the highest QDPS build in the game. If you want to be a pure healer you can do that. The only thing Revenant can't do as well as or better than other classes right now is Heal/Support with Quickness or Alacrity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elessaria.9142 said:

What are you even talking about? No class has a core spec meta build, and hasn't for a long time. Revenant has as good core gameplay and power level as any other class in the game. They have now made a number of buffs to Revenant's CORE weapons.

With Elite Specs if you want to do Damage, you have a top-tier Condition and Power build. If you want to do Alacrity you have a solid build. If you want to do Quickness you have what will probably be the highest QDPS build in the game. If you want to be a pure healer you can do that. The only thing Revenant can't do as well as or better than other classes right now is Heal/Support with Quickness or Alacrity.

PvE this, PvE that, PvE there.

Let's ignore all the bugs and unecessary reworks that introduced more dysfunctional skills than it ever has helped in all the years they have existed.

FYI CoR can't even hit small mobs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

47 minutes ago, Shao.7236 said:

Let's ignore all the bugs and unecessary reworks that introduced more dysfunctional skills than it ever has helped in all the years they have existed.

Which are two completely different topics. You are talking about core being bad, then when the other post replied you decide to go "what about my bugs and reworks???". Bugs should be fixed, balanced should be considered but ultimately Herald being better than core in every game mode is not something that I imagine most people give a rat's kitten about. Would it be nice for core to be better at some situations? I guess. Is it a anything worth noting? Not really no.

Edited by Warscythes.9307
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shao.7236 said:

Who said ignore all the bugs? Try to actually have a coherent point to your posts otherwise they are useless. I'm aware CoR has trash mechanics; are you saying one skill on one weapon makes the entire class terrible for new players? Really? Hammer needs buffed sure; they could literally make the auto 1/2 second instead of 1 second and it would still be a poor choice but let's have some fricking perspective...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Elessaria.9142 said:

Who said ignore all the bugs? Try to actually have a coherent point to your posts otherwise they are useless. I'm aware CoR has trash mechanics; are you saying one skill on one weapon makes the entire class terrible for new players? Really? Hammer needs buffed sure; they could literally make the auto 1/2 second instead of 1 second and it would still be a poor choice but let's have some fricking perspective...

Core has been nerfed to trash to compensate for the elites, plain and simple. Not only nerfed to trash, but bugged to trash.

Anything Jalis was good for is now inconsistent and unreliable.

Mallyx is a dead legend on anything but Herald because the devs don't understand how it works.

Ventari gets reworked yet left with the same bugs that plagued it since the addition of a knockback.

Hammer was fine until they had to give it the Jalis treatment, rework and introduce unmanageable jank.

Everything else somehow gets to just be touched with numbers that hardly make a difference. Infuse Light is probably the only good nerf that Revenant ever has seen, anything else has been god awful for making things weaker not by only numbers but functionality.

I will proudly celebrate the 3 years of CoR being broken as the months come forth, I'll add Mallyx/Jalis as honorable mentions in there.

Edited by Shao.7236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Technically for 3 years Jalis has been nerfing, hammer is broken on skill 2, Mallyx by changing the torment and resistance, Shiro on the regen he could have, ventari lost the alac with the change on it.
Vindicator we still don't know what it should be.
Herald we give him quickness, then we remove him in WvW. But that is done in a way where you have to spam those skills for the data while it doesn't look like the class and others do it better and easier.

And next to the classes do everything and nothing is changed on it.

Edited by Angesombre.4630

56 minutes ago, Angesombre.4630 said:

Technically for 3 years Jalis has been nerfing, hammer is broken on skill 2, Mallyx by changing the torment and resistance, Shiro on the regen he could have, ventari lost the alac with the change on it.
Vindicator we still don't know what it should be.
Herald we give him quickness, then we remove him in WvW. But that is done in a way where you have to spam those skills for the data while it doesn't look like the class and others do it better and easier.

And next to the classes do everything and nothing is changed on it.

Vindicator is very obviously suppose to be a power dps and they are moving it on that direction. Quick herald is excellent in PvE at the moment and is better than quickbrand in a few encounters especially after the patch notes in 2 weeks. Nothing really wrong with it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Warscythes.9307 said:

Quick herald is excellent in PvE at the moment and is better than quickbrand in a few encounters especially after the patch notes in 2 weeks. Nothing really wrong with it.

That's true for instanced content, but at the same time qHerald is largely unappealing for solo PvE content since his fantastic single target dps escales poorly while facing multiple foes (not forget also how Unrelenting Assault keeps attacking unanimated objetcts). I haven't touched pHerald in six months and I doubt I'll ever play it again... I'm utterly feed up after playing that thing non-stop for 7 years. 

• Confused 2

40 minutes ago, Buran.3796 said:

That's true for instanced content, but at the same time qHerald is largely unappealing for solo PvE content since his fantastic single target dps escales poorly while facing multiple foes (not forget also how Unrelenting Assault keeps attacking unanimated objetcts). I haven't touched pHerald in six months and I doubt I'll ever play it again... I'm utterly feed up after playing that thing non-stop for 7 years. 

I am sorry but 1) Herald is great in solo content because of the self boons, vul and it is remarkably tanky with decent burst. The cleave being worse doesn't mean is unappealing, is just lower damage. This is still open world and you are still going to burst down anything that's not a champion 2) Any sort of discussion people are discuss for PvE is solely about instance content because balance does not matter for open world. You can run a variety of builds due to how simple most OW contents are. If we are using metrics in the open world then classes like reaper is in a good spot while virt would just be decent and we all know that is not true. This not to mention open world builds for the most part are different than instance build requirements which is not what people are talking about here. The fact you are running qHerald as solo is weird in the first place, if you are quickness then it implies you are doing some sort of group, just run regular power herald if you are solo. 

• Thanks 1

Only thing I'm really disappointed about is their buff to power rev by buffing impossible odds and tripling the power coefficient on jade wind.. as if afk auto attack hasn't been the only way to play a power rev for forever now. Would have been a lot nicer if borderline useless rev utility just got straight up reworked. Don't get me wrong things like jalis road are really good.. but neutering your DPS because you pressed 1 utility skill feels horrible meanwhile guard or mes just get to press their stab utility and be done with it. The fact that you have to take the energy trait in order to not feel like you're completely gimping yourself just by using your kit is bad design. Like why is the stunbreak in shiro 30 energy when the legendary alliance stunbreak + stab is 15?? And that's WITH legendary alliance sucking. God forbid anyone is allowed to use a cool looking skill like Jade winds either. The buff is irrelevant nobody is going to use it regardless of the fact that it has a 3.0 coefficient now because it takes literally all 50 of your energy for very little cc in comparison to staff 5 or even forced engagement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Hallow.7368 said:

Only thing I'm really disappointed about is their buff to power rev by buffing impossible odds and tripling the power coefficient on jade wind.. as if afk auto attack hasn't been the only way to play a power rev for forever now. Would have been a lot nicer if borderline useless rev utility just got straight up reworked. Don't get me wrong things like jalis road are really good.. but neutering your DPS because you pressed 1 utility skill feels horrible meanwhile guard or mes just get to press their stab utility and be done with it. The fact that you have to take the energy trait in order to not feel like you're completely gimping yourself just by using your kit is bad design. Like why is the stunbreak in shiro 30 energy when the legendary alliance stunbreak + stab is 15?? And that's WITH legendary alliance sucking. God forbid anyone is allowed to use a cool looking skill like Jade winds either. The buff is irrelevant nobody is going to use it regardless of the fact that it has a 3.0 coefficient now because it takes literally all 50 of your energy for very little cc in comparison to staff 5 or even forced engagement.

You use jade winds when you swap out of it.

For example have you ever done Ankka CM. When the 3 adds spawn and each need to be cc'd. You run to them, jade wind, forced engagement, staff 5. The bar should almost be broken by then and your energy will about full when you run back to ankka. Or if you have ever done mortars in trio. Or if you do any sort of CC that you know is coming so you can prep for it. Do I think buffing the coeff on jade winds will do anything. Not really no, you are never going to use it for damage. Is it awful for CC? Also not really.

In addition, I think having important skills like stab road is perfectly fine because it has a low cd. It has a 10 seconds cd, this means it is great in any place that you need very frequent stab or even perma stab. Road last for 5 seconds and grant 3 seconds of stab. With alac a single Rev can practically maintain stab forever. Yes your damage will take a big hit, but this is a big thing that is available as an option. For example in fractals 99cm, running from one add to another during first boss means you will always have road for every knockback. Chaos with the charr boss where it daze on every single hit. You can perma roads during it and make the fight not awful. 

There are some skills that can use an energy tune down such as Shiro port and stunbreak in PvE. Roads is not it. Also I don't know if you read through the guardian notes, well FB notes with the tome changes. Having to sacrifice things for utilities is exactly what they are doing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warscythes.9307 said:

The fact you are running qHerald as solo is weird in the first place, if you are quickness then it implies you are doing some sort of group, just run regular power herald if you are solo. 

Self boons aren't exclusive from qHerald or power Herald in general: both Vindicator and condi Herald builds easily achieve permanent fury, 25 stacks of might and other valuable buffs (a lot of them shared, by the way). In that context, power Herald/ qHerald is significantly worse at OW PvE than the condi Herald variants, Renegade iterations and even Vindicator. And obviously I'm not running qHerald in OW, as I said I didn't touch power Herald in the last 6 months. But you're right: qHerald is perfectly fine in instanced content and it will be even better after the buffs. I still won't touch it.

Going again to instanced: ANet nerfed Renegade and Herald pre-EoD to release a new spec which isn't as hot in PvE and instead has been a constant balance kitten in PvP; now ANet completes the full circle buffing Herald again...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Warscythes.9307 said:

You use jade winds when you swap out of it.

For example have you ever done Ankka CM. When the 3 adds spawn and each need to be cc'd. You run to them, jade wind, forced engagement, staff 5. The bar should almost be broken by then and your energy will about full when you run back to ankka. Or if you have ever done mortars in trio. Or if you do any sort of CC that you know is coming so you can prep for it. Do I think buffing the coeff on jade winds will do anything. Not really no, you are never going to use it for damage. Is it awful for CC? Also not really.

In addition, I think having important skills like stab road is perfectly fine because it has a low cd. It has a 10 seconds cd, this means it is great in any place that you need very frequent stab or even perma stab. Road last for 5 seconds and grant 3 seconds of stab. With alac a single Rev can practically maintain stab forever. Yes your damage will take a big hit, but this is a big thing that is available as an option. For example in fractals 99cm, running from one add to another during first boss means you will always have road for every knockback. Chaos with the charr boss where it daze on every single hit. You can perma roads during it and make the fight not awful. 

There are some skills that can use an energy tune down such as Shiro port and stunbreak in PvE. Roads is not it. Also I don't know if you read through the guardian notes, well FB notes with the tome changes. Having to sacrifice things for utilities is exactly what they are doing.

But how are you going to have 50 energy on shiro if you're actively doing dps with impossible odds and using weapon skills? That's kinda the point I'm trying to convey here. I'm not saying they road isn't justified at 30 energy.. because it is considering how powerful it is, just that if I swap into jalis for stab then I use gs 5 I literally have 5 energy left and can't maintain hammers or use other weapon skills you have to let your energy recharge but in ~7 seconds you're swapping back to shiro anyways so there's this weird void of "I have no energy to do anything but my auto chain until my legend swap is already 2 seconds from coming off cd" and it's just awkward. Energy and initiative just feel likes such arbitrary out dated limitations that don't really (at least in their current state) belong in the modern game. Energy should be removed from weapon skills and used entirely for utility (obviously costs would need increased in this case) because that's what would feel good to play. Powerful, low cd utility that is kept in check by a resource rather than long cds.. but instead we have weapon skills that cost energy despite their cooldowns not really even being that much lower if at all than other classes that cost nothing which unnecessarily limits our ability to use the rest of our kit. Like why tf would I use phase traversal at all? I gap close to an enemy only to.. have no energy to channel impossible odds unless I just don't use anything but auto attack chains. Or I could use the gap closers in our weapon kits that cost 5x less and still have energy to use other weapon skills and impossible odds. Also why is core rev the only one that has a way to get more energy outside of charged mists? Ancient echo unironically makes the class so much smoother to play because it gives you some extra energy to play around with.. too bad elite specs are just 40x better than having retribution or corruption for your third trait line. Frankly the energy gain on core should be baked somehow into the especs somehow or charged mists should be a minor trait so that something the makes the class super smooth to play as a whole doesn't have to compete with powerful dps traits like roiling mists. It feels like energy costs are balanced around these despite being optional choices.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Warscythes.9307 said:

With alac a single Rev can practically maintain stab forever. Yes your damage will take a big hit, but this is a big thing that is available as an option. For example in fractals 99cm, running from one add to another during first boss means you will always have road for every knockback. Chaos with the charr boss where it daze on every single hit. You can perma roads during it and make the fight not awful. 

It's not even that big a hit to damage. Vengeful Hammers is maybe 5-8% of your DPS on an encounter. Dropping that for the ability to AoE Stab and/or Rite of the Great Dwarf (I lost track of the number of Harvest Temple Strikes I've saved hitting this when it's clear the orb is about to be peepo'd into the side of the platform). Then factor in that Forced Engagement is 500 breakbar damage with 0% condition duration. The utility far outweighs the damage and I just don't turn the Hammers on anymore unless I desperately need the damage reduction and healing.

I do wish they'd rework Impossible Odds again though; the damage from it is too significant to ignore but you give up so much to run it; especially given the mediocre utility alternatives in 90% of situations. I much preferred when it was more expensive and gave Quickness but even that is pretty redundant in the current state of the game.

Edited by Elessaria.9142
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Hallow.7368 said:

Also why is core rev the only one that has a way to get more energy outside of charged mists? Ancient echo unironically makes the class so much smoother to play because it gives you some extra energy to play around with...

Now this I can agree with. I wish Energy Meld was implemented as a 100% boost to Energy Regeneration of 5 seconds on 30s cooldown. It would help you mitigate the issue of using two Legends on one Energy pool, and allow you to get a short boost for swapping onto a more Energy intensive Legend swap.

4 hours ago, Hallow.7368 said:

But how are you going to have 50 energy on shiro if you're actively doing dps with impossible odds and using weapon skills? That's kinda the point I'm trying to convey here. I'm not saying they road isn't justified at 30 energy.. because it is considering how powerful it is, just that if I swap into jalis for stab then I use gs 5 I literally have 5 energy left and can't maintain hammers or use other weapon skills you have to let your energy recharge but in ~7 seconds you're swapping back to shiro anyways so there's this weird void of "I have no energy to do anything but my auto chain until my legend swap is already 2 seconds from coming off cd" and it's just awkward. Energy and initiative just feel likes such arbitrary out dated limitations that don't really (at least in their current state) belong in the modern game. Energy should be removed from weapon skills and used entirely for utility (obviously costs would need increased in this case) because that's what would feel good to play. Powerful, low cd utility that is kept in check by a resource rather than long cds.. but instead we have weapon skills that cost energy despite their cooldowns not really even being that much lower if at all than other classes that cost nothing which unnecessarily limits our ability to use the rest of our kit. Like why tf would I use phase traversal at all? I gap close to an enemy only to.. have no energy to channel impossible odds unless I just don't use anything but auto attack chains. Or I could use the gap closers in our weapon kits that cost 5x less and still have energy to use other weapon skills and impossible odds. Also why is core rev the only one that has a way to get more energy outside of charged mists? Ancient echo unironically makes the class so much smoother to play because it gives you some extra energy to play around with.. too bad elite specs are just 40x better than having retribution or corruption for your third trait line. Frankly the energy gain on core should be baked somehow into the especs somehow or charged mists should be a minor trait so that something the makes the class super smooth to play as a whole doesn't have to compete with powerful dps traits like roiling mists. It feels like energy costs are balanced around these despite being optional choices.

For Shiro, that is why I said it is fine when you can see the cc coming. For example when sloth is about to sleep. You swap to staff when you see you are hitting 0 and be ready in Shiro or if you are in dwarf, by then time you swap to Shiro and jade winds. The bar is very likely not broken yet so you can just wait for the energy to regen. The dps loss is minimal. Same thing with the other examples I have provided. The big thing about Rev CC is that none of your CC is used in the damage rotation. This means no matter what you will always have your CC available. I would much rather have CC on demand instead of looking at the cooldown. This is the tradeoff and is just fine at it. 

If energy is removed, the cooldown will need to be increased quite a bit to compensate and I don't think it is a good idea. The thing about Rev is that as I explained above, when needed your skills will very likely be available when you need it. This is the trade off. I think it is a perfectly fine mechanic and removing it will lead to one of the most crucial thing for Rev to master which is energy management. It would be a big mistake. There are some skills that have energy cost that is too high such as Shiro port and stunbreak. Overall though the mechanic is completely fine. Don't just think about your dps, is not the only thing in the fight. Doing the mechanic is the most important thing in the fight and not having certain skills up when you need it is very often the reason for wiping instead of failing some sort of dps check.

• Confused 1

From a WvW player : 

- Why nerf Archemorus spear range ? The spell is long to cast, easy to dodge or reflect or simply avoid because of environment collision. Putting a 1200 range is just a non-sense.

- Still nothing new in the management of Alliance stance. I saw a suggestion of having a low cd (like 4-5 sec) ? on swap between Saint Viktor and Archemorus : it could be a good idea.

- Nerf stab from Archemorus...seriously... Its the only defensive spell in the kit of Archemorus (I can't consider Saint Viktor has a part of the kit since you will have 9sec cd on swap). Vindicator needs stab to be able to stay in melee. Look at warriors kitten ! Even Willbender have so many tools to protect themselves. 
I really don't understand why they keeping nerfing Vindi while some other elite spe are untouchable.

For PvE, I guess it's good for Herald.

Vindicator still lack of something...

Edited by jokebox.9803
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/12/2022 at 1:33 PM, Buran.3796 said:

I enjoy it but is significantly worse than Herald or Renegade if the foeas are challenging. A simple example: go Drizzlewood and face a couple of groups with 5 veteran charrs (usually each one has a thief with blinds, a engineer with knockbacks, some warriors... ), the numbers you proc at the begining are fun, but after a few interrupts you end bodied, because the spec has 0 native cc to set the damage. Meanwhile, condi Herald casts axe #5, Chaotic Release, Elemental Blast, swap to Mallyx > Call to Anguish > Embrace the Darkness and voila!, either everything is dead or you already out of cooldown to repeat it again. Renegade isn't as tanky, but has the advantage of range to deal with foes.

Vindi is great vs regular enemies with not much threat or single bosses with well telegraphed attacks, but vs crowds or bosses which are very nimble or rich in cc is way worse. Is a kamikaze gameplay style. Love the mobility and self buff ability, but if I really want the task to be done in a single attempt is not my main choice.

In pve Vindicator it is very survivable. Sure, not Renegade level, but better than 90% of builds across all classes. And it has far stronger aoe than any other rev build. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 12:18 AM, Frayze.4620 said:

I mean, I don’t know who you are running with in WvW, but I couldn’t disagree with you more tbh. I think removing vindi dodge on immobilise is actually pretty fair. You have three stun breaks. One with built in stab, one on the same bar as basically un-stripable stab, and 50% damage reduction. 

I would be fine with removing vindi dodge when immobilized, but the skill's energy cost is high where it would have to alter my rotation in order to get the best healing. When fighting against groups who do hard cc or even mag, you really can't rely on those stunbreaks. Also, I use Ventari, so I don't have the third stunbreak. Dwarf is a great option to go with because of the bridges and the 50% dmg mitigation, but if you can micro-manage the tablet, the healing and cleanses are outstanding. Not only that, you can still heal/cleanse when cc'd.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:18 AM, Frayze.4620 said:

i also have no idea why you think vindi isn’t acceptable in Zergs. Have you actually looked at the numbers before stating any of this? I certainly have, I’ve spent the past 2 weeks going through them literally every day after every WvW raid I do. Is vindi cleanse the strongest? Nope, no it’s not, not gonna lie to you. We can’t keep up with any tempest who knows what they are doing. On healing- nothing else cones near us. Literally no other class is even in the same league as vindi for healing in WvW right now. I seriously encourage you to look at some results for this as the gap here is staggering. Right now, very very skilled scrappers are doing less than a quarter of the healing I output as an average support vindi player. I will do roughly 60-70% of their cleanse, maybe a little less without super try-harding. Oh, and that insane healing is pumping out barrier all the kitten time. You pump out barrier non stop. With 3 aoe 5-man stunbreaks. 

When I say they aren't "acceptable" in zergs, I meant as scrappers, tempest, and druids have more priority over them. It's nice that vindi has amazing healing, but that's the only thing they're good at. They don't bring useful utility or auras like scrappers and tempest. They only provide healing, barrier, and some condi cleansing. Plus, their condi cleansing is mediocre after the second nerf.  Vindicator support used to out cleanse tempest, but after the second nerf, they lack behind scrappers, tempest, and druids. A druid can now heal more or be on par with vindi from what I've seen when running in zergs.

• Like 3

There is something else I would like to mention. They made it so people can interrupt a vindicator's dodge, and I totally agree with that because vindicator's dodge was very long. But now they have 2 dodges, and they are very short. They should remove that because you can literally get interrupted by dodging which isn't fair because no other classes can get interrupted when dodging.

• Like 5