Nov 29 engineer changes

Infusion.7149

Engineer
For this update we focused on tuning up both power and condition damage builds for holosmith in PvE, neither of which were competitive picks. We've also made an adjustment to the mechanist to better reward players who are able to position well. We do like that mechanist is a viable option for a lower-intensity playstyle, but we see it as slightly overperforming relative to where we want those builds to be.

We've also tuned up a few skills for scrapper in PvP. We're being a bit careful as we've seen the result when scrapper's defenses are too potent, but we would like to reestablish scrapper as an effective bruiser.

Core

• Box of Nails: The first pulse of this skill will now immobilize enemies affected by crowd control or a movement-impairing condition. Increased ammunition from 1 to 2.
  • Rifle Burst: This skill now fires one piercing projectile before the grenade instead of two. Increased piercing projectile power coefficient from 0.3 to 0.4 in PvE only. Grenade power coefficient increased from 0.4 to 0.6 in PvE only. Increased skill animation speed; total animation duration remains the same as previous version in PvE only.

Scrapper

• Electro-whirl: Increased power coefficient from 0.68 to 0.75 in PvP only.
  • Bypass Coating: Reduced cooldown from 35 seconds to 25 seconds in PvP only.
  • Medic Gyro: Reduced cooldown from 30 seconds to 25 seconds in PvP only.

Holosmith

• Cauterize: This skill now removes additional conditions when used while above 100% heat.
  • Particle Accelerator: This skill now gains bonus damage while above 50% heat and additional bonus damage while above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Prismatic Singularity: This skill now gains bonus damage on the explosion portion of the attack when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects. Increased explosion power coefficient from 0.5 to 1.2 in PvE only.
  • Flash Spark: This skill now grants additional light aura duration when used above 100% heat.
  • Blade Burst: This skill now deals bonus damage when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Spectrum Shield: This skill now grants additional duration when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Coolant Blast: This skill now grants additional duration to Cooling Vapor and Frost Aura when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Laser Disk: This skill now gains additional damage when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Hard Light Arena: This skill now grants allies the full duration of boons when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Prime Light Beam: This skill now gains additional field strike damage and burning duration when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Corona Burst: Increased power coefficient per hit from 1.2 to 1.5 in PvE only.
  • Holographic Shockwave: Increased power coefficient from 0.96 to 1.8 in PvE only.
  • Sun Edge (PvE only): Increased damage bonus while above 50% heat from 10% to 20%. Increased damage bonus while above 100% heat from 20% to 30%.   
  • Sun Ripper (PvE only): Increased damage bonus while above 50% heat from 10% to 20%. Increased damage bonus while above 100% heat from 20% to 30%.   
  • Gleam Saber (PvE only): Increased damage bonus while above 50% heat from 10% to 20%. Increased damage bonus while above 100% heat from 20% to 30%.   
  • Refraction Cutter: Increased projectile power coefficient from 0.275 to 0.4 in PvE only.
  • Solar Focusing Lens: Increased burning duration on enemies from 2 seconds to 3 seconds in PvE only.
  • Photonic Blasting Module: Increased burning from 2 stacks for 2 seconds to 5 stacks for 4 seconds in PvE only.

Mechanist

• Mechanical Genius: Combat attribute bonuses to the mech are now reduced by 50% if the engineer is more than a range of 360 away from the mech for a certain amount of time.

---

I don't understand the logic of increasing rifle autoattack which is one of the highest in the game (core engi >35K full rotation per [LN]) ... but okay at least holosmith is getting buffed. We'll see what happens I guess.

• Like 1

i think for mechanist is bit overdo

remember mechanist not offer much utylites to team, unles it's alacdps

it schold stay at 35-36k

• Mechanical Genius: Combat attribute bonuses to the mech are now reduced by 50% if the engineer is more than a range of 360 away from the mech for a certain amount of time.

well it's just stupid for fractals/open world

now you will need constalty control pet, iterupting it autos losing dmg in process

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

11 minutes ago, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

i think for mechanist is bit overdo

remember mechanist not offer much utylites to team, unles it's alacdps

it schold stay at 35-36k

well it's just stupid for fractals/open world

now you will need constalty control pet, iterupting it autos losing dmg in process

I think they are balancing based off a melee mechanist with melee mech when in actuality the low intensity build is ranged (rifle) with a ranged mech.

A "certain amount of time" is incredibly vague so we will see what happens. Rifle was already at least on par with other professions' ranged weapons before this patch note so the best way to change rifle mechanist specifically would have been removing autocast on F2/F3 especially for the new strike where unwanted CC could be catastophic.

Interrupting autos hurts melee mech more due to the backloaded autoattack chain on the melee mech.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

I think they are balancing based off a melee mechanist with melee mech when in actuality the low intensity build is ranged (rifle) with a ranged mech.

A "certain amount of time" is incredibly vague so we will see what happens. Rifle was already at least on par with other professions' ranged weapons before this patch note so the best way to change rifle mechanist specifically would have been removing autocast on F2/F3 especially for the new strike where unwanted CC could be catastophic.

Interrupting autos hurts melee mech more due to the backloaded autoattack chain on the melee mech.

Only ham using mele pet for might

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

I don't understand the logic of increasing rifle autoattack which is one of the highest in the game (core engi >35K full rotation per [LN]) ... but okay at least holosmith is getting buffed. We'll see what happens I guess.

Rifle auto attack is not increased?

Currently: 2 piercing attacks, each 0,3 power coefficient + 1 grenade with 0,4 power coefficient = 1,0 total coefficient

Update: 1 piercing attack with 0,4 coefficient + 1 grenade with 0,6 coefficient = 1,0 total coefficient

The damage stays unchanged in PvE, but will be nerfed in PvP. Because they are removing one of the piercing attacks while not increasing the power coefficients in PvP, so a net loss of damage there.

9 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

A "certain amount of time" is incredibly vague so we will see what happens.

They mentioned in the stream that it is currently around 6 seconds.

• Like 4

Please dont remove the 3 burst from the rifle auto. Can you stop nerfing engineer flavor for once. Want less damage, nerf the number dont remove the 3 bullet visual. It made the engineer rifle sound like the Halo Battle Rifle wich was excellent! Now its just gonna be a weird 2 shots boring thing. Anet stop removing fun stuff. As for the rest its alright I guess. The mech thing is intresting if WE COULD SEE OUR MECH IN THE VISUAL CHAOS OF RAID AND STRIKE

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, Makuragee.3058 said:

Please dont remove the 3 burst from the rifle auto. Can you stop nerfing engineer flavor for once. Want less damage, nerf the number dont remove the 3 bullet visual. It made the engineer rifle sound like the Halo Battle Rifle wich was excellent! Now its just gonna be a weird 2 shots boring thing. Anet stop removing fun stuff. As for the rest its alright I guess. The mech thing is intresting if WE COULD SEE OUR MECH IN THE VISUAL CHAOS OF RAID AND STRIKE

i think you bit overreacting

it will be 1-2k dps less asuimg pet will be close to you

• Like 2

Anet want to make mech skillfull? Remove the dump idea to make f1/f2/f3 auto cast, here you go, this change was soooooooo dump. Dont remove 1 bullet of the auto rifle pls. You just made rifle fun, dont revert it back to the kitten it was come on. And stop listening to the none engineer player for balancing engi. Mech support was already kind of hard to play, now you just making it tedious.

Edited by Makuragee.3058
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

i think you bit overreacting

it will be 1-2k dps less asuimg pet will be close to you

Dont care about nerf, Im speaking of fun factor and visual vfx. Removing one bullet make it less intresting. Rifle auto was boring before and now they slowly reverting the fun change they did.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Makuragee.3058 said:

Dont care about nerf, Im speaking of fun factor and visual vfx. Removing one bullet make it less intresting. Rifle auto was boring before and now they slowly reverting the fun change they did.

Tbh, the speed with which it was shooting made it look kinda ridiculous on some characters. It was funny, but many people also found it weird to look at.

The rifle auto is still majorly improved compared to the old auto. Still has the same damage (way better than original rifle auto), still has the explosion tag for trait synergies.... I don't care about the one piercing shot getting removed, tbh.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Makuragee.3058 said:

Anet want to make mech skillfull? Remove the dump idea to make f1/f2/f3 auto cast, here you go, this change was soooooooo dump. Dont remove 1 bullet of the auto rifle pls. You just made rifle fun, dont revert it back to the kitten it was come on. And stop listening to the nine engineer player for balancing engi. Mech support was already kind of hard to play, now you just making it tedious.

thay removed it from f2+f3, wdm

yes you totaly overeacting and not even readed changes fully xd

• Like 1

Anet is killing the fun, not so long ago, you could fire rocket aswell as the mech at the same time, rocking the battle rifle from Halo! Thats was awesome!  Now only you shoot rocket and your rifle gonna be a lame 2 shots. Thats honestly pretty sad.

You also kill the explosive thing on ememy over 50% health, drop munition or something?

ps. The mortar skin is STILL the basic in game rifle... like come on its been placeholder since before HoT release. Dont merf the rifle auto, at least not like that, kill the number I dont care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

thay removed it from f2+f3, wdm

yes you totaly overeacting and not even readed changes fully xd

Only read the engi part, dont really care for the rest. Im just affarid to see what they remove each time. Also they had cool thing. I dont care that much about number, I care more about fun factor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Makuragee.3058 said:

Anet is killing the fun, not so long ago, you could fire rocket aswell as the mech at the same time, rocking the battle rifle from Halo! Thats was awesome!  Now only you shoot rocket and your rifle gonna be a lame 2 shots. Thats honestly pretty sad.

You also kill the explosive thing on ememy over 50% health, drop munition or something?

ps. The mortar skin is STILL the basic in game rifle... like come on its been placeholder since before HoT release. Dont merf the rifle auto, at least not like that, kill the number I dont care.

Totally agree i was having blast and now after reading im like wtf 

• Like 2

Not a fan of the rifle changes. Technically a minor nerf since there is one less attack to proc, but this is yet another change to rifle that changes the feel  of using the rifle. I wish they figured out what it should feel like, and then balancing those numbers around it instead.

Holosmith changes look good for sword + ECSU builds. I don't think the changes made are nearly enough to help condi builds. I do like that PBM is looking to be positioned as a more condition-based alternative though. Although a better solution would be to have lasers edge also affect condi damage w/ PBM.

Lastly, where the heck are some pistol updates? Been waiting for some for the better part of the decade.

Edited by lorddarkflare.9186
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, EvilZombie.6801 said:

Rifle missing 1 shot is a huge nerf 1 less proc to 33% bleeding in firearm

Bleeding is mostly inconsequential for a power build so long as there is bleeding for Hematic Focus: each crit already provides 4s of bleeding through the minors Sharpshooter and Serrated steel. You're more inclined to get DPS from Explosive temper triggers on any build with grenades (ferocity) but the rifle mech runs Aim Assisted Rocket which has 3s ICD and triggers on missile hits.

Moreover, the current log has each rifle burst average 3K damage while rifle burst grenade is on average 4K damage. If rifle burst grenade also gets a damage increase from 0.4 to 0.6 that means potentially 6K damage on average for that part of the auto. Rifle burst grenade lacks an activation time as well.

Edit: also see the November log for power core engi where rifle burst (Gewehrsalve) is on average 3.3K and Rifle Burst Grenade (Gewehrsalven-Granate) is on average 4.5K.
https://gw2wingman.nevermindcreations.de/log/20221103-220200_MedGolem_kill

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

My main complain about rifle nerf is in PvP/WvW. The rifle wasnt even an OP weapon or anything, especially in WvW with all the projectile block/reflect. I dont necessarily agree with nerfing rifle in PvE but the change in coefficient wont really affect it too much, however this is a big nerf for PvP and WvW. 

But I suppose Anet would rather listen to the one player who still get dumped by a rifle Mechanist in WvW rather than look at the big picture 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Oh, I forgot to mention my thoughts on mechanist changes: I like them. My biggest issue with the class has always been how little seemed to be going on with it in terms of actually playing it. Shame that addressing this means adding even more density to its traits/skills.

11 minutes ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

My main complain about rifle nerf is in PvP/WvW. The rifle wasnt even an OP weapon or anything, especially in WvW with all the projectile block/reflect. I dont necessarily agree with nerfing rifle in PvE but the change in coefficient wont really affect it too much, however this is a big nerf for PvP and WvW. 

But I suppose Anet would rather listen to the one player who still get dumped by a rifle Mechanist in WvW rather than look at the big picture 

This is fair. The PvP/WvW nerf seems pointless. Especially given how much weaker present mechs are.

Edited by lorddarkflare.9186
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3