Nov 29 engineer changes

Infusion.7149

The mech hugging thing sucks 😕 why not just remove the crit increase from the ranged mech mode instead... im already forced to be perma meelee for the 30% crit chace and now I have to run and hug my mech every 6 seconds or keep clicking run to me button...

Edited by PolarBear.3961
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

i think for mechanist is bit overdo

remember mechanist not offer much utylites to team, unles it's alacdps

it schold stay at 35-36k

well it's just stupid for fractals/open world

now you will need constalty control pet, iterupting it autos losing dmg in process

Wait, you mean mech players will have to learn the games mechanics and respond to situations, rather than just facerolling content?!

Oh noes!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 11

• Mechanical Genius: Combat attribute bonuses to the mech are now reduced by 50% if the engineer is more than a range of 360 away from the mech for a certain amount of time.
    If you're gonna do this kind of change then you need to improve the AI of the mech. It seriously does whatever it wants a lot. Even if you are stacked on top of your raid group more times than not its off in lala land doing whatever it wants. There should be a better way to control it with flags or markers or whatever if you are going to make this type of change. You are basically punishing your loyal Engineer players by saying its their fault the mech is not where it should be which is not the case at all. Or add in a pet button where it is immediately recalled to your side or something. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Angelz.9713 said:
  • Mechanical Genius: Combat attribute bonuses to the mech are now reduced by 50% if the engineer is more than a range of 360 away from the mech for a certain amount of time.
    If you're gonna do this kind of change then you need to improve the AI of the mech. It seriously does whatever it wants a lot. Even if you are stacked on top of your raid group more times than not its off in lala land doing whatever it wants. There should be a better way to control it with flags or markers or whatever if you are going to make this type of change. You are basically punishing your loyal Engineer players by saying its their fault the mech is not where it should be which is not the case at all. Or add in a pet button where it is immediately recalled to your side or something. 

Now this here, this is what ranger mains have been talking about for 10 years and why many pointed out that mechanist is a terrible idea.

Right now mech is going through what ranger did in the original beta. The whole spec is being carried by it's terrible, over-stuffed design. Exactly as we warned it would be, and exactly as we warned, take all that away and what you're left with is a pet which is basically useless in most content.

Pets in GW2 are only and can only be overpowered or weak. There is no middle ground and there can't be because the Ai is dreadful. The only way to compensate for the Ai is adding more and more buttons to give more control. In other words, over-stuffing! That's why Soulbeast works seemingly too well, and every other ranger spec is clunky as heck. SlB gives additional control and forced stowing with fewer controls. The only way they anet could make Mech not terrible, is to make it work like SlB. The result of which would be most people keeping the pet stowed, just like SlB.

What's worse for Mechanist, you only have the one pet. It's gaudy, looks terrible, it's oversized to the point of being obnoxious and it cannot be swapped for something else or personalised. The only good thing about it over ranger pets, is that it can be forcibly stowed.

Tldr; it's no coincidence that by and large, SlB is the best Ranger spec. You take the OP, overstuffed tools from Mechanist and it will just end up an arguably worse ranger. If you don't take away the bloated abilities, then it is and will remain bad for the game. Ranger players warned this would happen. Engineer players warned this would happen. The last 10 years proved this would happen. Anet ignored all that. Behold the results.

Edited by wolfyrik.2017
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Angelz.9713 said:

I find the mech does respond very well to your return/attack commands. It's actually the most rewarding part of playing mechanist for me. It is way better than ranger's pets, necro's minions, elementalist's summons, mesmer's clones in term of its AI.

This change only punishes those that want the mech to tank for them while they safely spam 111 from far away. Any decent mechanist player should not be worried about this. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

I find the mech does respond very well to your return/attack commands. It's actually the most rewarding part of playing mechanist for me. It is way better than ranger's pets, necro's minions, elementalist's summons, mesmer's clones in term of its AI.

This change only punishes those that want the mech to tank for them while they safely spam 111 from far away. Any decent mechanist player should not be worried about this. 

It also punish the support player in end game content. I cpuld keep him near the squad to heal and support while I run of squad to help with mechanic or a player with bad positionning. Now with the hug thingy I wont be able to play like this. Im gonna cobstantly have to press f7/f6, if I dont do my heal/barrier will have a massive nerf.

They are nerfing the flavor of the rifle auto attack and add clunkyness to my favorite build... its a sad patch day for me.

Edited by Makuragee.3058
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I only play PVE and I dislike the changes. The unquiness of Rifle #1 is gone. And i don't like to stand next to that large green thing all or most of the time.

Positioning the mech is a mess, if you beam it back to you, it does what it wants to do afterwards, relating if you set it to one of the melee attacks or the ranged one. And if you call it back, you need to set it to attack or use a skill which is usually on cooldown.

So - in the future - if you play a melee mech, you are forced to go into melee as well, if you want the full damage potential. Which is? If your mech is ranged than you are forced to follow it, because it won't follow you, it won't evade with you. So if you go down that way with Mechanical Genius, our mech should stay close to us (360 range) and also evade whenever we evade or attack when we attack. That would be a unique play style in relation to the other pet professions.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, raubvogel.5071 said:

I only play PVE and I dislike the changes. The unquiness of Rifle #1 is gone. And i don't like to stand next to that large green thing all or most of the time.

Positioning the mech is a mess, if you beam it back to you, it does what it wants to do afterwards, relating if you set it to one of the melee attacks or the ranged one. And if you call it back, you need to set it to attack or use a skill which is usually on cooldown.

So - in the future - if you play a melee mech, you are forced to go into melee as well, if you want the full damage potential. Which is? If your mech is ranged than you are forced to follow it, because it won't follow you, it won't evade with you. So if you go down that way with Mechanical Genius, our mech should stay close to us (360 range) and also evade whenever we evade or attack when we attack. That would be a unique play style in relation to the other pet professions.

This is something else that ranger players have been pleading for,  for 10 years. Yet another reason we warned against further pet specs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Makuragee.3058 said:

It also punish the support player in end game content. I cpuld keep him near the squad to heal and support while I run of squad to help with mechanic or a player with bad positionning. Now with the hug thingy I wont be able to play like this. Im gonna cobstantly have to press f7/f6, if I dont do my heal/barrier will have a massive nerf.

They are nerfing the flavor of the rifle auto attack and add clunkyness to my favorite build... its a sad patch day for me.

The preview mentions that combat attribute bonuses will get reduced once you leave the radius for too long.

We will have to check what exactly this means. If concentration and healing power are not affected here, then all a support player loses is the damage from the mech. Which is a bit of a nerf, but not really that problematic. The main feature, barrier and boons, might still be intact in this case.

On 11/13/2022 at 8:45 AM, Yellow Rainbow.6142 said:

If their ultimate goal is for everyone to just stack and spank, what is the point of even having range weapon.

Gw2 = stack, spank, do your rotation (which you can easily use script).. what does it sound like??

Everyone is bot in GW2.

Not to be mean, by I find it hilarious to make this argument when put in context with that the change is and what it is trying to fix.

Even after this change Rifle Mech will still be good. Still very good. Been playing strikes and fractals keeping in mind the range and it has mostly been fine. The biggest consequence is that shift signet (whose functionality should REALLY be mech f4) is on cooldown more frequently for the times where it is easier to just yank mech to me.

Alac Mech still feels fine as well. Especially if you were playing the mace variant.

What concerns me somewhat is HAM. All the repositioning might be kinda annoying.

Edited by lorddarkflare.9186
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 11/13/2022 at 3:51 AM, Infusion.7149 said:

In their updated / renewed design philosophy Arenanet stated they don't want bad choices, only wrong choices. In essence that means condi holo should be a possible outcome even if it is not the strongest way to play condi on engineer.

I wonder, actually. I don't think there are any traits or skills for holosmith that aren't useful on a power build. So you could theoretically have a situation where condi holosmith is the wrong choice, but there are still no bad choices because every option in holosmith functions in a power build. Sure, there's a few burning stacks floating around, but power guardian is also likely to have a few burn stacks mixed in with their strike damage.

Given how much condi stuff is available in core engi, though, I can see them seeing it as desirable for holosmith to at least make for a decent hybrid.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2022 at 8:35 AM, Makuragee.3058 said:

Thank you for figuring out what the devs are trying to fix.

The player running around in narnia while still providing perfect boons is busted. No other support build can do this. no build should be able to do this.

They change rifle animation slightly. nothing changes there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/15/2022 at 2:24 AM, draxynnic.3719 said:

I wonder, actually. I don't think there are any traits or skills for holosmith that aren't useful on a power build. So you could theoretically have a situation where condi holosmith is the wrong choice, but there are still no bad choices because every option in holosmith functions in a power build. Sure, there's a few burning stacks floating around, but power guardian is also likely to have a few burn stacks mixed in with their strike damage.

Given how much condi stuff is available in core engi, though, I can see them seeing it as desirable for holosmith to at least make for a decent hybrid.

There's the one that does burning when you enter holo mode.  Not much of a power trait.

• Confused 1

On 11/11/2022 at 5:10 PM, Infusion.7149 said:

Engineer
For this update we focused on tuning up both power and condition damage builds for holosmith in PvE, neither of which were competitive picks. We've also made an adjustment to the mechanist to better reward players who are able to position well. We do like that mechanist is a viable option for a lower-intensity playstyle, but we see it as slightly overperforming relative to where we want those builds to be.

We've also tuned up a few skills for scrapper in PvP. We're being a bit careful as we've seen the result when scrapper's defenses are too potent, but we would like to reestablish scrapper as an effective bruiser.

Core

• Box of Nails: The first pulse of this skill will now immobilize enemies affected by crowd control or a movement-impairing condition. Increased ammunition from 1 to 2.
  • Rifle Burst: This skill now fires one piercing projectile before the grenade instead of two. Increased piercing projectile power coefficient from 0.3 to 0.4 in PvE only. Grenade power coefficient increased from 0.4 to 0.6 in PvE only. Increased skill animation speed; total animation duration remains the same as previous version in PvE only.

Scrapper

• Electro-whirl: Increased power coefficient from 0.68 to 0.75 in PvP only.
  • Bypass Coating: Reduced cooldown from 35 seconds to 25 seconds in PvP only.
  • Medic Gyro: Reduced cooldown from 30 seconds to 25 seconds in PvP only.

Holosmith

• Cauterize: This skill now removes additional conditions when used while above 100% heat.
  • Particle Accelerator: This skill now gains bonus damage while above 50% heat and additional bonus damage while above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Prismatic Singularity: This skill now gains bonus damage on the explosion portion of the attack when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects. Increased explosion power coefficient from 0.5 to 1.2 in PvE only.
  • Flash Spark: This skill now grants additional light aura duration when used above 100% heat.
  • Blade Burst: This skill now deals bonus damage when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Spectrum Shield: This skill now grants additional duration when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Coolant Blast: This skill now grants additional duration to Cooling Vapor and Frost Aura when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Laser Disk: This skill now gains additional damage when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Hard Light Arena: This skill now grants allies the full duration of boons when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Prime Light Beam: This skill now gains additional field strike damage and burning duration when used above 100% heat, in addition to its previous effects.
  • Corona Burst: Increased power coefficient per hit from 1.2 to 1.5 in PvE only.
  • Holographic Shockwave: Increased power coefficient from 0.96 to 1.8 in PvE only.
  • Sun Edge (PvE only): Increased damage bonus while above 50% heat from 10% to 20%. Increased damage bonus while above 100% heat from 20% to 30%.   
  • Sun Ripper (PvE only): Increased damage bonus while above 50% heat from 10% to 20%. Increased damage bonus while above 100% heat from 20% to 30%.   
  • Gleam Saber (PvE only): Increased damage bonus while above 50% heat from 10% to 20%. Increased damage bonus while above 100% heat from 20% to 30%.   
  • Refraction Cutter: Increased projectile power coefficient from 0.275 to 0.4 in PvE only.
  • Solar Focusing Lens: Increased burning duration on enemies from 2 seconds to 3 seconds in PvE only.
  • Photonic Blasting Module: Increased burning from 2 stacks for 2 seconds to 5 stacks for 4 seconds in PvE only.

Mechanist

---

I don't understand the logic of increasing rifle autoattack which is one of the highest in the game (core engi >35K full rotation per [LN]) ... but okay at least holosmith is getting buffed. We'll see what happens I guess.

They're taking away one shot out of the auto attack and as a result, buffing the other 2 shots.

On 11/12/2022 at 6:28 AM, Ludark.5732 said:

Not really. Power rifle Mechanist really doesn't Bench that high right now at 34k. However the mech itself is fairly strong and currently has insane levels of uptime and as a result Mechanist real world performance is vastly better than many other classes.

By forcing Mechanist players to reposition their mech once in a while you lower that uptime. Thus decreasing real world performance, but not the benchmark. Basically putting mechanist closer to other specs in actual gameplay, without comprising their performance in optimal scenarios. 

Whether this is fun from a gameplay perspective is something else entirely. But personally I think a pet spec should come with some pet management included and this accomplishes that.

Lets consider why mech has high uptimes currently.

1) there is only one mech. The Engineer can not summon a second mech. Looking at Ranger, they have 2 pets available to them at all times and can swap them freely, meaning technically they can keep a 100% uptime of their pet (swapping their pet heals the pet completely)

2) The Engineer gives up their toolbelt skills to gain the pet skills, and when the pet dies, they are left with a cooldown to resummon the mech and no toolbelt skills (toolbelt skills are pretty important to the Engineer)

3) If you take mech as an espec and no kits, when you lose your mech, you now also do not have anything to swap into, meaning you're entirely vulnerable to your own cooldowns for your weapon skills as well as the cooldowns for your utilities.

If anything, the mech should be considerably harder to kill simply because of the fact that you have only 1. Maybe some power shaves to the mech's skills and attacks can happen, but its sustain must be high to compensate for that fact alone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghos.1326 said:

Mechanist

I can barely control where the Mech goes now, even when in passive mode.  You are making it harder and I'm asking myself why even have this darn Mech?   Yet, I am not melee, I am a ranged class with a rifle.  Why have a Mech at all .... I've noticed very little Mechs now playing in WvW.  We die to fast.  I just died to a Ranger who traveled 2k to sword me to death. lol 

Like the other guy who posted, I was actually enjoying this game until all these Mech Nerfs. 

Why your at it, give me a new elite skill on my scrapper too, 1s of stealth is not elite.  Had a necro axe 3 me to death with a 3-hit and I had over 3200 armor.  Armor is a joke, balance that. 

Condis have returned, we now have to have 2 people clearning condi in WvW per subgroup.  Condis can go through anything, can't stop them with my winds warrior, you nerfed him. 

and then you buff Rangers again with pet swap.  Gimme a break, all the buffs, two pets, ranged at 1500 auto attack same as a mech. 

I don't even play my thief but a rifle range should be 1800 for them, past the darn Ranger.... with a bow.  It's why they called them DEADEYE, not Thiefeye.   Watch a movie, get a clue what a rifle does. lol

Mech's should get the Barrett .50 Cal to compensate for these nerfs! 🙂  Range = half a mile. 

- Leave the Mech pet alone. Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Druid can! Rifle is just removing something cool for something less cool. Dont care about the number for. Only care about the fun factor. And the mech change does not seem fun at all, not how clunky the mech is, we already need to be sure hes close enought to the party. 😞

Edited by Makuragee.3058
  • Confused 1

On 11/17/2022 at 7:49 PM, Nephalem.8921 said:

Thank you for figuring out what the devs are trying to fix.

The player running around in narnia while still providing perfect boons is busted. No other support build can do this. no build should be able to do this.

They change rifle animation slightly. nothing changes there.

Druid can! Rifle is just removing something cool for something less cool. Dont care about the number for. Only care about the fun factor. And the mech change does not seem fun at all, not how clunky the mech is, we already need to be sure hes close enought to the party. 😞

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Makuragee.3058 said:

No druid can not. Alac only happens around the druid. Besides the mech does not stop functioning. it just provides less boons and does less dps. Still almost perma alac for a ham but now it needs to press buttons once in a while.

The horror!

• Confused 4