Have the considered...

hatton.5789

That won't happen. The controls needed are not conducive to default console controllers, the engine is decades old (GW2 actually uses the GW1 engine, albeit modified), and for something to be on console it needs to get approval for patches ahead of time. Not just days but weeks unless NCsoft pulls strings to get GW2 into the priority stream. It would put a major constraint on what could be done and force Anet to decide whether to keep PC and console on par or let PC edge ahead.

This is, of course, assuming it could even be ported in the first place as porting games not meant to be ported isn't actually that easy. Add in GW2 uses a proprietary engine and that means there's no tools whatsoever that would make porting to a different system easier and it would be a nightmare and a half to port, require a medium-to-large team to do so, there would be a mountain of compatibility checks and issues, and by the time it's done the current console gen would be aging out.

Plus the legal aspect and console owners (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo) may demand a cut of in-game sales. Steam also demands a cut but porting PC to Steam is less work than from PC to console, especially when the engine is from a time when PS2 and the original Xbox were new.

• Like 4

It does work on the Steam Deck, which is going to replace all the other consoles anyway. There's just no way for them to compete against what Steam offers combined with a console format.

The era of Nintendo, Playstation and XBox is over. Its been 20+ years, time to move on.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

It does work on the Steam Deck, which is going to replace all the other consoles anyway. There's just no way for them to compete against what Steam offers combined with a console format.

The era of Nintendo, Playstation and XBox is over. Its been 20+ years, time to move on.

LMAO Steam fanboy, good joke my boy. Come back when Steam Deck sells as much as the other three plaforms please.

8 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Sure. And Linux will overtake Windows and Mac for home use any day now.[/s]

Edited by Astralporing.1957

People have been saying PC gaming will wipe out console gaming for decades now, or that consoles will wipe out PC gaming. Of course by this point we were all supposed to be exclusively playing VR games with our phones and headsets.

I like the Steam Deck and I'm planning to get one (waiting for a number of things, including some of the bugs to be sorted out) but I'm not going to stop using my Switch when I do, the only question will be whether I take one, or both or neither on trips. (And the answer will vary, depending on what I'm doing and how much time and bag space I have.)

I'm also a bit sceptical about how well the Steam Deck will do and how long it'll last because somehow only one company has ever managed to maintain a successful series of handheld consoles. At the moment the Steam Deck looks like it's in a similar position to Sega's Game Gear which was competing with the Game Boy (and later Game Boy Colour): It's technically superior to the Switch but also more expensive, bigger and heavier with worse battery life and because none of the games are exclusive it doesn't have any "must have" games which will tempt someone to buy a Steam Deck to play them (meanwhile the Switch has at least 2 which frequently appear on lists of the best games of all time).

It's a good machine and for a handheld PC that small it's very impressive (like I said I want one) but the majority of people buying computer games, especially handheld ones, are not looking for the best possible graphics or performance, they're looking for something fun to do (or something for their kids to do) and cheaper, smaller and easier to use with the kind of brand recognition most companies would kill for will win that market every time.

One thing the Steam Deck does do well though is show that GW2 (and a lot of other PC games) can be played with a controller. I know at least one person from Anet has levelled a character to 80 exclusively on the Deck, and I think even tried raids with it, although that was for the ExtraLife stream so I don't think they were trying for top performance.

I'm not sure of the exact specs but I think GW2 could run on Xbox X/S and Playstation 5 (probably not the Switch) but the problem would be it would likely need seperate servers for each like Elder Scrolls Online does and updates to console games require prior approval from the manufacturer which takes up to 2 weeks, so that would limit how frequently the game could be updated (including bug fixes). Even if you assume they'll hold back console updates to bundle the follow-up patches in with them (which would mean more than a 2 week delay - 2 weeks is the time from when the update is submitted for approval) this game normally has an update at least every other week, so they'd be constantly going through the approval process. Or they'd have to slow down updates even more and effectively run two seperate versions of the game. Either way I can't imagine the console version would be appealing for most people, it'd probably only sell to people who don't have a PC which can run it (and that's most PCs these days) so that's a very limited market.

• Like 1