Permastealth thief in my server's Keep right now

Jeydra.4386

He's got permastealth, full defensive gear, reveal-removing elite.

We win if we kill him. He wins if he doesn't die. Unfortunately for us, it doesn't seem possible to kill him even with three players.

Please suggest what we can do about him. If there's no way to do it then ANet please add something like "if all walls are repaired, all enemy players in the Keep get the Marked debuff" change or something.

Edited by Jeydra.4386
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

18 minutes ago, Jeydra.4386 said:

We win if we kill him. He wins if he doesn't die. Unfortunately for us, it doesn't seem possible to kill him even with three players.

Please suggest what we can do about him. If there's no way to do it then ANet please add something like "if all walls are repaired, all enemy players in the Keep get the Marked debuff" change or something.

get 3 sicemrangers, use the "sniff" on your warclaw and some targetpainters. Other than that... good luck xD minstrelDE is a pain in the butt to deal with.

Edited by Sahne.6950

Even while under constant marked effect, a thief still has 40% uptime on stealth - or more than most other classes while not marked.

TL;DR traps and skills barely slow them down, but yeah its basicly the only option. If they are squishy a pull+hard CC from a few peeps might be enough, but if they run defensive gear they might tank through it. And that assumes you can catch them at all, considering the teleports.

Personally I still say... delete pistol offhand smokefield.

That one change kitten all thief builds for the better.

But no, every other class can be kitten like that but certainly not thief, the worst roamer, worst duelist slowest class to exist according to 10 out of 10 thieves on the forums.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Jeydra.4386 said:

He only "wins" if he actually takes your keep, and only then if they got to take it while you have a map queue or something so they can really rub it in. If they're wasting that much time in a structure thinking they've ruined anyone's day but yours during off hours or when no one is trying to respond to stuff, then they lost. Although, if they're hanging out in your keep and all of you are tripping over each other to not catch this dude even after a thread on here about there being too much cc, then we've all lost something.

Edited by kash.9213
  • Confused 4

As someone who does play DE with a purpose of slipping in keeps for future porting/flipping, permastealth isnt a thing. We can apply a decent amount of stealth, however its all about where I am when I have to be revealed. I do it in spots out of view (obv) and there are a few spots in all keeps that allow me to do that. its THOSE places you wanna keep an eye on/put reveal traps on.

PS...if a thief throws a stealth trap at another...The one that threw it loses regardless of the outcome xD

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Jeydra.4386 said:

Only three? You're not making enough effort. We couldn't kill one with 15 people looking for it.

11 hours ago, Jeydra.4386 said:

NO MORE MARKED PLEASE! It pushes people towards the zerg gameplay, which isn't healthy for the mode.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

He only "wins" if he actually takes your keep, and only then if they got to take it while you have a map queue or something so they can really rub it in. If they're wasting that much time in a structure thinking they've ruined anyone's day but yours during off hours or when no one is trying to respond to stuff, then they lost. Although, if they're hanging out in your keep and all of you are tripping over each other to not catch this dude even after a thread on here about there being too much cc, then we've all lost something.

Sure, there were also flying unicorns above SM sprinkling rainbows, right?
He wins the moment he can pull 5+ players to chase him within objective, that means -5 players on whole map to deal with one clown with busted mechanics.
If you don't deal with it > he'll port his frandz.
If you try to deal with it > he'll afk in stealth and port all over the place, because busted mechanic.
Lose - lose situation for defender and you come here and still try to justify it, teef mains and their "logic".
I still have no idea what kind of big brain time A-net had at office to even consider giving teefs a portal that can be used by other people, disgusting.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

As someone who does play DE with a purpose of slipping in keeps for future porting/flipping, permastealth isnt a thing. We can apply a decent amount of stealth, however its all about where I am when I have to be revealed. I do it in spots out of view (obv) and there are a few spots in all keeps that allow me to do that. its THOSE places you wanna keep an eye on/put reveal traps on.

PS...if a thief throws a stealth trap at another...The one that threw it loses regardless of the outcome xD

and thats why you do it on a boundingdodger Daredevil, because they can maintain permastealth without a problem.

21 hours ago, freakcoco.4287 said:

which server?

There has no permastealth,  it can stack stealth to 30 sec, but it is not permastealth.

He wasn't permastealthed but he was stealthed >50% of the time, as well as constantly porting away. I'm not sure the three of us actually got any solid hits on him. Don't think his health ever dropped below 50%.

23 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

get 3 sicemrangers, use the "sniff" on your warclaw and some targetpainters. Other than that... good luck xD minstrelDE is a pain in the butt to deal with.

I did switch to my Ranger but it didn't work. The Keep in question was Fire Keep and he had these ports that go up and down all those pillars. I have nothing similar to threaten him with. In fact thinking about what happened, I doubt 40% Revealed would've killed him. 

16 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

If we all leave, he will take the Keep eventually though. Maybe not solo, but certainly when he ports his friends in.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Denver.4621 said:

there is perma stealth deadeye what do you mean lol , every roll give u stealth , combine with traits , stam regen food and there you have it

looks like someone missed, that they completly reworked Shadowarts.

Just dodging wont even come close to being permastealth anymore.

The only thing that can truely permastealth, without relying on Shadowrefugee or something, is Boundingdodger daredevil.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeydra.4386 said:

He wasn't permastealthed but he was stealthed >50% of the time, as well as constantly porting away. I'm not sure the three of us actually got any solid hits on him. Don't think his health ever dropped below 50%.

I did switch to my Ranger but it didn't work. The Keep in question was Fire Keep and he had these ports that go up and down all those pillars. I have nothing similar to threaten him with. In fact thinking about what happened, I doubt 40% Revealed would've killed him. 

If we all leave, he will take the Keep eventually though. Maybe not solo, but certainly when he ports his friends in.

So, half of the time isn't permanent. It's not nothing either, but it sounds like you're trying to hold it down during a part of the day where you're probably going to lose your waypoints to something soon anyway. If there's not even a few people going in and out of the keep at all times, then you're not likely to have the response to what they're porting in anyway. If it's only handful of them and you have even a moderate amount of people on the map or even map hopping, then response should get there in time to farm them and make a second trip sound less fun. 

That portal should be able to navigate terrain and topography, but I still don't think it should get past walls, at least not while WvW is less of an open world mode and more of large structured match. If they got in there when it was opened and camped out to take it, then that's either good game or it's off hours and it doesn't really matter much unless it had a waypoint. 

• Confused 3

On 11/16/2022 at 3:53 AM, Sahne.6950 said:

and thats why you do it on a boundingdodger Daredevil, because they can maintain permastealth without a problem.

they can maintain a "near" permanent. These are also some of the easier ones to track as they utilize ground fields, giving away their position. Heck 1 stealth trap well  thrown will mess em over.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'd just leave it alone and join the zerg. Or move to another map. You can't keep structures forever. I think the thief was more interested in harassing you than they are in taking objectives. Thief is the best class to play to stalk, harass, taunt, and get into people's head with. To revel in tormenting you only this time with no law enforcement to intervene with their pleasure, no social rules, no one to really know its even them. The more suffering you endure, the more fun their game is. Thief has all the right game mechanics offered on a silver platter to carry out the deed unabated; a dream come true. A perfectly designed class for more niche desires.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

I'd just leave it alone and join the zerg. Or move to another map. You can't keep structures forever. I think the thief was more interested in harassing you than they are in taking objectives. Thief is the best class to play to stalk, harass, taunt, and get into people's head with. To revel in tormenting you only this time with no law enforcement to intervene with their pleasure, no social rules, no one to really know its even them. The more suffering you endure, the more fun their game is. Thief has all the right game mechanics offered on a silver platter to carry out the deed unabated; a dream come true. A perfectly designed class for more niche desires.

I like the thrill of the hunt. The satisfaction of catching and outsmarting them. Gets my adrenaline pumping and even praise from people as very few have the patience I do (I also co main thief so ya kinda gotta have patience at times lol)

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

I like the thrill of the hunt. The satisfaction of catching and outsmarting them. Gets my adrenaline pumping and even praise from people as very few have the patience I do (I also co main thief so ya kinda gotta have patience at times lol)

Papasmurf gets it.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

they can maintain a "near" permanent. These are also some of the easier ones to track as they utilize ground fields, giving away their position. Heck 1 stealth trap well  thrown will mess em over.

nono.... they can maintain permanent stealth without problems.

You do:   Pistol 5   -> swap bow ->    2 + Dodging backwards -> run in the field again -> 2+Dodging backwards -> run in the field again -> 2+ dodging backwards.           Rinse and repeat.  

You have to lay down 1 smokefield every  ~13-14 seconds. Which will give you more than enough time to build up distance to your enemys to execute yet again another stealth combo.     When im trying to troll people in a keep thats what i do, and i rarely get caught.

You can stack stealth faster as it will run out even without using a single utilityskill. Try it. 😃

Edited by Sahne.6950

On 11/15/2022 at 3:26 PM, freakcoco.4287 said:

which server?

There has no permastealth,  it can stack stealth to 30 sec, but it is not permastealth.

U can be very cllose to kept perma stealthed forever in this game, do u really belive Anet removes those builds?

Perma daze thief was a thing and Anet made it believe was removed, but it still possible, harder rotation to recreate with a new builds but still 100% legit that works, and once that perma daze triggers on the target its just a 11111.

@Jeydra.4386 always check under the big lion statue if this is EBG red keep.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

On 11/15/2022 at 3:42 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Even while under constant marked effect, a thief still has 40% uptime on stealth - or more than most other classes while not marked.

TL;DR traps and skills barely slow them down, but yeah its basicly the only option. If they are squishy a pull+hard CC from a few peeps might be enough, but if they run defensive gear they might tank through it. And that assumes you can catch them at all, considering the teleports.

Personally I still say... delete pistol offhand smokefield.

That one change kitten all thief builds for the better.

But no, every other class can be kitten like that but certainly not thief, the worst roamer, worst duelist slowest class to exist according to 10 out of 10 thieves on the forums.

Sounds like a skill issue to me, wouldn't you agree Dawdler? To quote yourself back to you of course.

Normally I would simply agree with the whole post, but since you think everything else is a skill issue, it's very surprising to see such double standards...

Edited by Karagee.6830

12 minutes ago, Karagee.6830 said:

Sounds like a skill issue to me, wouldn't you agree Dawdler? To quote yourself back to you of course.

Normally I would simply agree with the whole post, but since you think everything else is a skill issue, it's very surprising to see such double standards...

You know, its possible to agree with something in full, in part or agree on something when you dont agree on something completely different.

But when you cant even agree to what you agree on, it makes for boring arguments.