Why is Spool of Silk Weaving thread not tradable for Provisioner Tokens?

MashMash.1645

Lump of Mithrilium, Spool of Thick Elonian Cord and Globs of Elder Spirit Residue can all be traded for Provisioner tokens, but Spool of Silk Weaving cannot.

They are all on daily cooldown craft, and it makes one of the ascended materials for crafting, so why was this one not included?

Edited by MashMash.1645
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, TexZero.7910 said:

probably because when they were adding those to the roster of items silk was and still is cheap to make so it was glossed over.

Yep, that seems sensible. Add more sinks to items that are already more costly, but ignore the one that is the cheapest. That will surely help the prices to even out

...oh wait.

• Confused 5

16 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

I think the idea was for provisioner tokens to be expensive to get, not draining specific stocks of resources.

Not really. There's a number of different materials used for those additional Provisioner Token buy options. And some of them are very cheap. Notice, btw, that the ascended materials are in a group of those Provisioner Token options that do not have daily buy restrictions (but are limited by having a daily crafting restriction instead), and that another option here is Charged Quartz, which is even cheaper than Spool of Silk Weaving. So, price of mats does not seem to be an issue here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Not really. There's a number of different materials used for those additional Provisioner Token buy options. And some of them are very cheap. Notice, btw, that the ascended materials are in a group of those Provisioner Token options that do not have daily buy restrictions (but are limited by having a daily crafting restriction instead), and that another option here is Charged Quartz, which is even cheaper than Spool of Silk Weaving. So, price of mats does not seem to be an issue here.

And notice, btw, that those cheaper options are mostly (only?) for the 1 per day exchange options. The ones that are possible to be exchanged in larger quantities are not the cheap options. Spool of silk just didn't fit. Also because of the quantities of provisioner tokens used (which really aren't huge), it wouldn't really be a valid/good/reliable sink for it. It would just be a cheaper option and that's all.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

That's exactly why i compared it to the Charged Quartz, another bulk exchange option, which is even cheaper than Spool of Silk.

It is now, but it wasn't at the time and for quite some time. Maybe they wanted people to actively go for quartz -> charged quartz, while the silk doesn't need any motivation to get since everyone still pukes with it left and right never targetting its acquisition. The drop in price of quartz despite being included in exchange just shows what I said above, doesn't it? -The tokens wouldn't be able to be a valid/meaningful sink for silk anyways.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yep, that seems sensible. Add more sinks to items that are already more costly, but ignore the one that is the cheapest. That will surely help the prices to even out

...oh wait.

I've not once said anet's design is reasonable. I only provided what seemed to be the most obvious reason for it's exclusion at the time. The original design of provisioner tokens didn't allow for daily craft exchange and if you look at what was added they all had a baseline value that was roughly the same. Silk was the outlier in that it was well below the percieved intended value at the time.

Should it be added for consistency ? Probably.

Will it ? ...Given how long it's been and how little Anet changes systems like this, i wouldn't hold my breath.