Guild Wars 2 End of Dragons Soundtrack - Similarity?

Silent.6137

Every time I go to New Kaineng, the music on the loading screen has been bugging me because it sounds so familiar. Listen to the opening few notes and compare it to this classic.

Guild Wars 2 End of Dragons (from 0:00 to 0:08)vs Summer Kisses, Winter Tears (from 0:00 to 0:03). Play GW2 at double speed or Summer at 1/2 speed. What do you think?

End of Dragons (mp3- trimmed) vs Summer Kisses, Winter Tears (mp3-trimmed)

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

Although it's somewhat similar the first few seconds, if you actually listen to it, it's different enough to not be the same. If you're implying that the composers of the soundtrack were inspired by Elvis or plagiarized it, I doubt it. As they have said it's inspired by Korean music.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

Although it's somewhat similar the first few seconds, if you actually listen to it, it's different enough to not be the same. If you're implying that the composers of the soundtrack were inspired by Elvis or plagiarized it, I doubt it. As they have said it's inspired by Korean music.

I'm not suggesting that the music was plagiarized. However, often subconciously  and unintentionally, music you heard when you were growing up may have some influence. The song was very popular back then and has been covered and translated especially into Chinese. It's not that farfetched that the composer had heard some of the Chinese version but attributed it to Korean instead. An instrumental piece: Richard Clyderman.

That few opening bars had been bugging me every time I loaded onto New Kaineng;s map ever since EoD's release and I just couldn't placed the song. Until today when I used the Google app to locate the song.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

If it's just 4 or 5 chords, of course lots of music will be similar. It's when the sequence gets longer that it really become noticeable. I've isolated the part that really stood out for me:

Maybe I'm the only one who hears this but to me it sounds so distinctive that it totally grab my attention when I first heard it. And ever since then it has always made me wonder why it sounded so familiar.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

If it's just 4 or 5 chords, of course lots of music will be similar. It's when the sequence gets longer that it really become noticeable. I've isolated the part that really stood out for me:

Maybe I'm the only one who hears this but to me it sounds so distinctive that it totally grab my attention when I first heard it. And ever since then it has always made me wonder why it sounded so familiar.

Ok after listening to those they do sound similar, it was not the sections I were comparing at all.

• Confused 1

On 11/19/2022 at 9:12 AM, Linken.6345 said:

Ok after listening to those they do sound similar, it was not the sections I were comparing at all.

Although it's not much, I'm glad you do hear some similarity. I was beginning to wonder if it was just me and I was just hearing what I wanted to hear. So, thanks.

• Confused 1

Hmm.  I remember John Fogerty being sued for copyright infringement because he sounded too much like himself.  I think he wound up winning because he played both songs on the stand for everyone to hear, and see, just how different they were.  I seem to recall that Led Zepplin had a similar suit with another band claiming they stole their riff for Stairway to Heaven.  Zepplin won that too.

It's funny, to me, because one of the tavern songs in Wrath of the Righteous always leaves me humming the lead part to "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica.  They're nothing alike, but I always end up there.

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2022 at 12:34 AM, Freya.9075 said:

Its not just inspired by Korean music, alot of it was live recorded with Korean musicians. That's why the whole expansion has such an natural, orchestral theme to it. This was done before in Dry Top and the Silverwastes, but most music since then has been digitally created, especially during the COVID era.

Here's what Heart of Thorns would've sounded like if they had live recorded it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8nwiTNCcvE

I kind of wish they had retroactively replaced the HoT music with this, but one can only dream right?

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

With soo many music writers these days chances are "few" notes are the same. 

There are only a certain amount of possibilities you can create in a single bar within a single melodic line. Still billions of possibilities though, but see how many songs have been published at this point in time. 

There will always be the same few notes but when the sequence gets longer and longer, chances of the same notes appearing in the same order become smaller and smaller.  4 or 5 are very common. In this case, it's 7 notes on the opening sequence which was why it was so distinctive. Paricularly since it forms the basis of the chorus for one of them.

• Like 1