Hot take: The next expansion should be PvP focused

Einsof.1457

I think it's time. Let's have a PvP focused expansion. Make it part of the story. Make the mists matter. Sweeping updates and modes in both spvp, WvW, and more. Let's rejuvenate the joys and thrill of winning with our friends against determined opponents. Let's have some really creative and lasting modes that are fun, challenging, and most of all improve us as players and as teams. I think you can do it, anet. Let's have tyria maps that are pvp maps. Imagine at the start you have to choose a side (think gw1 factions style) and that opposing players are now hostile. Maps like this would be great. As usual, if people want to avoid this sort of thing, fine, but pvp players have been left to dry for the last 3 expansions. It's time to give them one. Let's put the wars back in guild wars. Focus on fun over balance and I think you'd have a winner. (Balance still matters but don't be super focused on it. Remember, it's a game. Focus on fun). 

edit: I deliberately posted this in the GENERAL forum because it would affect all players. Guess anet really does want to bury this sort of discussion. By force-moving it to the PvP board shows that anet just wants PvP players to stay in their dark corner and not come out. The PVE players dont want the unwashed tainting their general board i guess. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 15

Why not ?

If some random maps are enabled for  pvp (to be captured...sorry i play Warhammer Online only..where maps are capturable at specific times >> then move to tier2 maps>>last map is the central city of faction that lost most previous random areas +and each building have its onw cd) when the majority fo the PvErs are in in money-makers areas (DragonStorm-Tanir) , or whatever a new gearset -that beckons you that something is stearing in the east and can sense the one-ring-calling it 😛

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Why not ?

If some random maps are enabled for  pvp (to be captured...sorry i play Warhammer Online only..where maps are capturable at specific times...and each building have its onw cd) when the majority are in money-makers areas (DragonStorm)

So... basically wvw. 🤔

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

So... basically wvw.

Yeah , now that theydont need to create raids maps , they can focus in other aspect of the game.

They will create new maps for PvErS , and some forgoten areas , will be used as PvP at specific times , when the majority of the PvErs are everywelse and capturing those areas could offer capture-are bonus for your guild !

Then when the "specific"time ends , they will move to the 24/7 WvW , so we dont need to create WvW maps (they will once again cry like Borbelands+ Edge of the Mist design) , and underpopulated maps will be used + hopefully give ALL players(espeecially new)  99.9% damage reduction from all sources and npcs ignore this mechanic (if this buff is found , npcs in the area deal +999.9% of ther basic stats) if they when in areas none visits +missed the message that : "PvP area is enabled in this map for for xx:xx min)

• Confused 5

I dont mind if Anet gives PvP some QoL but a full expansion focused on it? no thanks. Its nothing wrong enjoying pvp but a whole expansion centered around it would drive alot of people away, me included, while i can enjoy the occasional pvp/WvW, it definetly isnt something i focus on, nor want to invest into.

Simply put, put in QoL for pvp in general but having a expansion centered around pvp would be a extremly bad business idea.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

This xpack wouldn't be really marketable, would it? If PvP is already struggling as a game mode to attract players, how would full on PvP xpack get there?

It's struggling because anet neglects it. A pvp focused xpac would fix that. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

While PvP needs some love, an expansion focused on it really would be very divisive.  Not only because of people who don't prefer the game mode but also it would put a big damper on the cooperative aspect of GW2.  

Having your team or whatever would be unifying but beyond that it's kind of against what the game has built up.  

21 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Yeah , now that theydont need to create raids maps , they can focus in other aspect of the game.

They will create new maps for PvErS , and some forgoten areas , will be used as PvP at specific times , when the majority of the PvErs are everywelse and capturing those areas could offer capture-are bonus for your guild !

Then when the "specific"time ends , they will move to the 24/7 WvW , so we dont need to create WvW maps (they will once again cry like Borbelands+ Edge of the Mist design) , and underpopulated maps will be used + hopefully give ALL players(espeecially new)  99.9% damage reduction from all sources and npcs ignore this mechanic (if this buff is found , npcs in the area deal +999.9% of ther basic stats) if they when in areas none visits +missed the message that : "PvP area is enabled in this map for for xx:xx min)

What are you even talking about right now? Go re-read the thread, you previous post and my post you've just quoted. This has nothing to do with what was being said here. :classic_blink:

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

What are you even talking about right now? Go re-read the thread, you previous post and my post you've just quoted. This has nothing to do with what was being said here. 😐

Ah sorry , i went ahead a little 😛

Lets be break down to you :

a) They will create new maps for PvErS , and some forgoten areas , will be used as PvP at specific times ,

b)so we dont need to create WvW maps (they will once again cry like Borbelands+ Edge of the Mist design)

c)Then when the "specific"time ends , they will move to the 24/7 WvW ,

You know no need to create new assets and PvPrs have a "change of pace" seeing different enviroment

• Confused 3

10 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

If anything, classes need to stop being designed around a dead unsupported game mode.

This is coming from a PvPer btw.

Hopefully by aimming all classes in PvE , either by having boons or not , to deal 34+k damage (42k for meele), they will no need to balance the game around that mode ever again

And all the other defensive cds could be opened to be balanced around the PvP areas

(then 8months  from now , we reduce the effects of boons , so people cannot skip mehcnaincs in normal+CM Lions Arc and all is guchi (...and if something goes wrong >>reduce the boss HP as the powercreep goes down)

• Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Ah sorry , i went ahead a little 😛

You didn't "go ahead", you've just reverted into your usual derail unrelated to anything written before it, including the post you've quoted there.

Lets be break down to you :

a) They will create new maps for PvErS , and some forgoten areas , will be used as PvP at specific times ,

And what about achievements in those maps? That idea alone makes 0 sense.

b)so we dont need to create WvW maps (they will once again cry like Borbelands+ Edge of the Mist design)

c)Then when the "specific"time ends , they will move to the 24/7 WvW ,

wvw map design differs from pve map design, so again: that doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

You didn't "go ahead", you've just reverted into your usual derail unrelated to anything written before it, including the post you've quoted there.

And what about achievements in those maps? That idea alone makes 0 sense.

wvw map design differs from pve map design, so again: that doesn't make much sense.

Hmmm , maybe try to read whati typed ?:P

"you know no need to create new assets and PvPrs have a "change of pace" seeing different enviroment"

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Focus on fun over balance and I think you'd have a winner. (Balance still matters but don't be super focused on it. Remember, it's a game. Focus on fun). 

That much is agreeable.

Sub-annual balance patches are not content, I don't care how excited or angry other people get over them. Boring and useless if the game itself isn't fun.

Well-balanced trash is still trash and you'd have to make quite the leap to call this well-balanced. 

3 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

There are already PvP areas.  They could adjust them as the players want (if they can figure out what most PvPers want).  But the majority of the develop time and money should go to where the most players are.  Which is PvE in most games.

That's like saying there's already PvE areas. How would you feel if the only pve area was queensdale? There's nothing wrong with getting creative with pvp. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Confused 3