Add optional servers

51 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

100% agree on this.

if i am talking about openworld pvp. i am not talking about forcing it on everyone.   There should be distinct instances of maps where pvp is enabled.    Not everyone like pvp.. the majority actually doesnt like it. so it would be dumb to force it on those people. 

The problem then is who would choose to play in those instances? If you want to actually fight other players you're better off going to PvP or WvW where you're guaranteed to find people who will fight you, rather than hoping to bump into them while playing PvE. And if you don't want to fight other players you'd obviously stay out the PvP instances, especially since you can do exactly the same things in the PvE-only versions of the maps.

Elder Scrolls Online does something like this, their version of WvW also has various PvE activities in the same map, including quest hubs and delves (which are like mini dungeons) so in theory you can play it like a PvE map as well as doing PvP. In practice there's 3 groups of people there:
1) People playing PvP who entirely ignore the PvE activities because it's not relevant to what they're doing. These are the vast majority in the map.
2) People doing PvE who entirely avoid PvP because it's not relevant to what they're doing. They're a tiny minority and unlikely to encounter each other because there's so few of them.
3) Gankers who camp quest hubs and other places they're likely to find people playing PvE because they're incapable of winning a real fight and are hoping for easy targets. Numbers vary from 0 to dozens depending on the day.

I play PvP in ESO and I've also completed all the PvE activities in that map, but even then it was two entirely separate things for me, I'd either go in to play PvP or to do some quests. The closest I came to mixing the two was capturing some of the smaller outposts so I didn't have to sneak past guards to get to quest givers, and killing gankers because it was faster than waiting for them to kill me and running back.

I think I saw less than 20 other people while doing PvE stuff, had 3 or 4 bad experiences where someone repeatedly killed me so I had to briefly give up on the specific thing I was doing and go somewhere else and had a grand total of 1 good experience from the mixed mode, which was doing a dolmen (like a GW2 event - bunch of enemies appear around a point and you clear them) with 2 'enemy' players so we had to be careful aiming our skills so we didn't hit each other.

It can work if the entire game is built around it, like EvE online or Sea of Thieves, although partially because then you only attract people who want to do that, but I don't think it works well in games designed for distinct modes, especially GW2 where the idea that other players will always be helpful to you is a core concept in PvE.

22 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Sounds like the equivalent of just making new wvw maps then.

22 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

I suspect it's more like the "overwhelmingly vast majority"

sadly, because th overwhelming vast majority doesnt WvW or pvp... we wont see any new maps.

Openworld pvp is just a dream kindof. We know it will never happen xD

dont worry^^ pvp community is not delusional.  ITs all just hopes and dreams.    i would like it... but it will never happen... you know that... i know that... anet knows that.

i come from Archeage, where pvp is enabled basicly everywhere.  i loved it... but p2w turned that game into a ghosttown sadly.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sahne.6950 said:

sadly, because th overwhelming vast majority doesnt WvW or pvp... we wont see any new maps.

Openworld pvp is just a dream kindof. We know it will never happen xD

It probably doesn't help that when they did make a new WvW map players complained until they redesigned it to be more like the existing ones and made it optional and it's still the least played.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It probably doesn't help that when they did make a new WvW map players complained until they redesigned it to be more like the existing ones and made it optional and it's still the least played.

yup.

that was the last nail in the " we are abandoning WvW and PvP coffin" 

they invest a ton of money and time to deliver a new map.... and harvest negativity.  

Thats why some people are bringing up the "option to enable pvp in pve" debate sometimes.   Some people hope that this wouldnt take so much development effort and enable people the option to fight somewhere else than the same borderland for a literaly decade.

Its important to note, that no one said anything about forcing it on everyone. If Openworld pvp happens,  it should be optional.

Newworld has something like 10+% loot while your pvp is enabled. Something like that would be hella cool, to maybe incentivize some extra people to give it a shot. But i can already see people crying cuz they dont want pvp but the 10% aswell 😄

BUT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, so dont mind me blabbering about it. 😄 But one can dream.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Confused 1

The worst thing about non-WvW open world PVP is... it doesn't have a purpose.

At least in games like EVE or Albion you get your enemy items and gold as loot...
At least in WvW and PvP game modes here you have clear objectives - capture the point, capture the castle, etc...

But what's the incentive to PvP in trully open world?

Games like New World and WoW, that have "enable PvP mode and get +X% more stuff" just prove that gamers choose to enable the mode and ignore every enemy and/or escape from them rather fighting. Getting the extra loot without true combat. Just random senseless ganking on unsuspecting players.

I guess there is a "I want to pwn noobz" factor, but it doesn't translate to real combat or even fun gameplay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

The worst thing about non-WvW open world PVP is... it doesn't have a purpose.

At least in games like EVE or Albion you get your enemy items and gold as loot...
At least in WvW and PvP game modes here you have clear objectives - capture the point, capture the castle, etc...

But what's the incentive to PvP in trully open world?

Games like New World and WoW, that have "enable PvP mode and get +X% more stuff" just prove that gamers choose to enable the mode and ignore every enemy and/or escape from them rather fighting. Getting the extra loot without true combat. Just random senseless ganking on unsuspecting players.

I guess there is a "I want to pwn noobz" factor, but it doesn't translate to real combat or even fun gameplay.

its been proven time and time again, including with New world recently that open world pvp promotes toxic behaviour and primarily empowers one thing - ganking and forcing PVP apon those that don't want to PVP.   There are very few games that have successfully implemented open world pvp in a game that is primarily focus on PVE (if any)

On 11/21/2022 at 8:28 AM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

1. PvP server, where you can fight, gank and grief other players in the open world..

Lmao, so a server where the only activity is to hide waiting for noobs? Why would anyone play this? Realistically there will be 0 pve there and therefore nobody to grief apart from other griefers. Dead idea out of the gate.

On 11/21/2022 at 8:28 AM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

2. Sub-fee server. If you roll a character here, all outfits are available, bank space maxed out, free barber, etc. with a sub fee. 

There are about 5 people who want this, maybe 10 tops. Always vocal on forums but the number is super low afaik. Also dead idea.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2022 at 12:22 AM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

You guys are hopeless. If you don't like those options, SIMPLY DO NOT JOIN THOSE SERVERS.

As for the tired old "pay for gems every month", you're paying for the people who aren't paying as well. The price is higher. With a sub, you'd get more for your $15 than if you bought gems. You cannot unlock every outfit and free barber and so on with $15 a month right now. Jesus.

Its a moot point, because ArenaNet is never going to do either. But you already knew that, otherwise you wouldn't have made this troll thread specifically asking for something that's diametrically opposed their core game design philosophy.

• Thanks 4

12 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

do you realize there is a big difference, between a instanced World VS World VS World, and being able to pvp anywhere around the gw2 maps?

Yes. The former is playing alongside (and against) other PvP players. The latter mostly revolves around preying on non-PvP-minded players. And as the past history in many games has proven beyond all doubt, no matter what the individual players asking about this mode say, ultimately OWPvP always devolves to this. In the end, a mix of PvP and PvE never ends well. And not just because there's not that many players interested in this type of play, but also because most of those that do are not in it for fair fights, but only for very imbalanced (and heavily stacked in their own favour) ones. It's a setting that, to exist, needs to be populated mostly by victims. And hadly anyone wants to be a victim.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

yup ^^

- Option 1 PVP/PVE shared world, in which case those that only want to PVE get ganked.  

- Option 2 dedicated massive zones where you can PVP and there is limited PVE aka WVW.

in a PVE game you have more PVE zones than PVP to reflect the players base (i.e GW2) in PVP games its the opposite (e.g EVE)

Option 1 is historically toxic for obvious reasons in a PVE game.

10 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

yup ^^

- Option 1 PVP/PVE shared world, in which case those that only want to PVE get ganked.  

- Option 2 dedicated massive zones where you can PVP and there is limited PVE aka WVW.

in a PVE game you have more PVE zones than PVP to reflect the players base (i.e GW2) in PVP games its the opposite (e.g EVE)

Option 1 is historically toxic for obvious reasons in a PVE game.

We could take those 2 options and create something new :

-Mark yourself for pvp , like any game , then join any Open world zerg for Dragonstorm to get some loot , as normally with the rest of PvErs .

-You can increase manually the scale of "rewards-dangerousness' that you want .

-Based on the level you chose , when an enemy hit you once , you get a buff that prevents future attacks and prepares you to be teleported  underground arena/high in the sky arena. The less-levels of dangerousness you chose => more time to be prepered (6sec) Max level => fight on the spot , without preperation time (its PK time)

-You leave behind an invisible mob that auto attacks anything/boss so you want have to lose the PvE participation

-Your character uses the personal Waypoint -  Rewind clock ,  to restore your character to the PvE maps after 1min. If you are low-dangerousness ,you can try to survive for 10 sec and then use the personal waypoint to escape

-Other players that have enabled too this mechanics , are teleported with all of you . (mid range players and lower have an options to be teleported or not .

-Based on any outcome , you retain the buffs and you are removed for PvP for 20 min

Then every 4 hours , lure every1 of them the WvW+PvP players in a map + pin their location based on their levels-dangerouness (less => ping once every 20 sec on the minimap)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

We could take those 2 options and create something new :

-Mark yourself for pvp , like any game , then join any Open world zerg for Dragonstorm to get some loot , as normally with the rest of PvErs .

-You can increase manually the scale of "rewards-dangerousness' that you want .

-Based on the level you chose , when an enemy hit you once , you get a buff that prevents future attacks and prepares you to be teleported  underground arena/high in the sky arena. The less-levels of dangerousness you chose => more time to be prepered (6sec) Max level => fight on the spot , without preperation time (its PK time)

-You leave behind an invisible mob that auto attacks anything/boss so you want have to lose the PvE participation

-Your character uses the personal Waypoint -  Rewind clock ,  to restore your character to the PvE maps after 1min. If you are low-dangerousness ,you can try to survive for 10 sec and then use the personal waypoint to escape

-Other players that have enabled too this mechanics , are teleported with all of you . (mid range players and lower have an options to be teleported or not .

-Based on any outcome , you retain the buffs and you are removed for PvP for 20 min

Then every 4 hours , lure every1 of them the WvW+PvP players in a map + pin their location based on their levels-dangerouness (less => ping once every 20 sec on the minimap)

And then the whole meta fails, because half the people doing south got teleported away? No, thanks. It would have to work in a way that would not impact non-PvP-flagged players at all, and that means forcing those players into separate map instances.

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And then the whole meta fails, because half the people doing south got teleported away? No, thanks. It would have to work in a way that would not impact non-PvP-flagged players at all, and that means forcing those players into separate map instances.

Yea I really liked the point were the pvp player should not lose rewards but who cares about the pve zerg the guy had going.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Half the people have pvp enabled + they have the lvl of danger in mid/higher (cannot decline) ?

I guess people like pvp then

Edit: Or maybe the invisble mob that left behind , can deal 1000 per sec . It would do more damage than most people based on Raiders 😛

11 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I mean his whole idea makes no sense in the first place, how is this supposed to be ow pvp when players are teleported to some weird arena when they get tagged? 🙃

Its 2 part system :

High alertness-dangerouness = normal PK system , gank 1-100% in 1 sec in open maps .

Mid and lower , give away people some time for some fair fights + forcing them into areans , they wont whine that nearby PvE players dont help them

• Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Its 2 part system :

High alertness-dangerouness = normal PK system

Mid and lower , give away people some time for some fair fights

That "mid-lower" tier makes no sense then since it doesn't do anything about being ow pvp system, it's just teleporting people to secluded arenas anyways.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That "mid-lower" tier makes no sense then since it doesn't do anything about being ow pvp system, it's just teleporting people to secluded arenas anyways.

Yes , it teleports players and they wont whine to the rest of the PvErs for not helping them.

Or the "1v1 me bro!" in front of the majority of the players

• Confused 5

Just now, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Yes , it teleports players and they wont whine to the rest of the PvErs for not helping them

Then that's not ow pvp and as such implementation of it would make no sense. What about that is so hard for you to understand? If someone wants to pvp in an arena, they can already do that in a few arenas available in the game.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's not "2 part", because "teleporting people to secluded arens to 1v1" has nothing to do with "adding ow pvp system".

If the 2 parties + nearby wants to put the alertness /dangerous ness in high lvl for max  reward then the system will behave like PK -OW PvP

• Confused 5

Just now, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

If the 2 parties + nearby wants to put the alertness /dangerous ness in high lvl for max , reward then the system will behave like PK -OW PvP

That's why I'm not commenting on the flagging pk ow pvp system, because it addresses ow pvp. Instead I'm addressing the other part that's so backwards it doesn't do anything about ow pvp request, it just adds yet another arena that has nothing to do with ow pvp. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways... still won't happen beacuse turning on pvp system during events would be a suicide mission for anyone involved considering the amount of aoes being spammed by everyone else.

• Confused 1

That's why I'm not commenting on the flagging pk ow pvp system, because it addresses ow pvp. Instead I'm addressing the other part that's so backwards it doesn't do anything about ow pvp request, it just adds yet another arena that has nothing to do with ow pvp. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways... still won't happen beacuse turning on pvp system during events would be a suicide mission for anyone involved considering the amount of aoes being spammed by everyone else.

Thats why low-mid alertness will give you some times to adjust+ prevents damage , so you don't get moaned down by aoes .

Or simply dont use this system in Open PvE events , if you are going meele

• Confused 3