Fishing - where is the "reward"?

Sanus.3502

I know fishing has been discussed on multipul occassions, but I feel compelled to bring it up again.  Today's fishing daily was in Orr.   I am max lvl, using max bait, max lure, max food buff, I am "A Cod Swimming Amongst Mere Minnows", I even went to the expense of spending 10 spiritwood planks for the "vanity" fishing rod... to still have my fishing skill level at "yellow" when casting into a pool in Orr!  Why is there no bennifet, no reward, no consideration, of the time and effort I have put into fishing? Why is Orr still "yellow pools of grind" until I can build up at least 25 stacks (using my skiff) for the skill lvl on pools to go green? Why does fishing in Orr feel the same as it did when I was a less experienced fisher? Where is the "reward" for all the time I have put into fishing?

In other words, how about a +10% (something!) for those that have put in the time and effort to become "Cods".

Maybe add a (+) stat to that pricey fishing poll that is already acheivement locked? 

And while I have your ear...

How about making a "bait bucket" even if it's just a bag that can be crafted to hold bait and fishing gear? Something similar to the junk bags or crafting bags. Please.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

58 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

If fishing was fun, I would need no reward.  But the horrid Pong game... forget it.  The reward would have to be pretty great to get to fish very often.  A shame really, I was so looking forward to it. Who knew they could screw up such a simple thing so completely? 😎

The minigame is fine, I like it, but what stops it from being fun for me is putting it on a constant time limit that kills off the 'relaxing' potential cuz of required food, and your boat holding you hostage cuz of how bad the buff design is. Probably woulda been better off with a Fishing Level grind over the Fishing Power system.

Also did they ever fix commander tag blocking the "!" yet?

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Sanus.3502 said:

I know fishing has been discussed on multipul occassions, but I feel compelled to bring it up again.  Today's fishing daily was in Orr.   I am max lvl, using max bait, max lure, max food buff, I am "A Cod Swimming Amongst Mere Minnows", I even went to the expense of spending 10 spiritwood planks for the "vanity" fishing rod... to still have my fishing skill level at "yellow" when casting into a pool in Orr!  Why is there no bennifet, no reward, no consideration, of the time and effort I have put into fishing? Why is Orr still "yellow pools of grind" until I can build up at least 25 stacks (using my skiff) for the skill lvl on pools to go green? Why does fishing in Orr feel the same as it did when I was a less experienced fisher? Where is the "reward" for all the time I have put into fishing?

In other words, how about a +10% (something!) for those that have put in the time and effort to become "Cods".

Maybe add a (+) stat to that pricey fishing poll that is already acheivement locked? 

If you want easier fishing holes, there's probably more of them than there's the hard orr-like ones. If you're struggling with orr daily, stock up on the fish there instead of going for a single one (although yellow bar is already k) each time. Overally the whole "I already did it, so now it should be trivialized for me!" take seems incorrect to me.

As for "where's the reward?" question... It's inside the fish you're catching.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 9

Yeah, I was also somewhat surprised to see that the fancy rod or reaching top level in fishing didn't change fishing power or improve the experience in any way. If they wanna keep it like this, they really need to revise how fishing power works overall, and my impressions of the system haven't changed since the last time they poked it:

- Accountwide tacklebox is still a must
- Fishing party stacks should stay for an hour or so after you obtain them, re-upping the timer whenever you fish from the boat
- Fishing party stacks should persist between maps (or even between play sessions if they go the lingering buff route mentioned above)
- Fishing in open water should count toward the buff (it counts during fishing competitions, but not for fishing party for some reason)

Fishing is a very isolated activity compared to other types of gathering in the game, and right now there's no incentive to leave your boat for any reason to participate in anything else or help anyone else if it means losing stacks and starting over from scratch after an hour of prep. Having to prepare to have fun every single time you fish is probably the biggest killer of this activity. This feature is not finished, and I hope they keep working on it until it is. 🎣

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

Perhaps I should not have used the term "reward" as it seems to have side tracked the point I was trying to make. What I am trying to express is that there are issues with fishing that I feel could be resolved.  I am interested in understanding the reasoning behind some of the development choices the Dev's have made.  I am in general a PvE player (not that I understand what that would have to do with my issues with the over all fishing experience).  AgentMore.9453 seems to have understood the general direction and meaning behind my post and I thank them for bringing up additional issues that could be improved upon.

2 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Yeah, I was also somewhat surprised to see that the fancy rod or reaching top level in fishing didn't change fishing power or improve the experience in any way. If they wanna keep it like this, they really need to revise how fishing power works overall, and my impressions of the system haven't changed since the last time they poked it:

- Accountwide tacklebox is still a must
- Fishing party stacks should stay for an hour or so after you obtain them, re-upping the timer whenever you fish from the boat
- Fishing party stacks should persist between maps (or even between play sessions if they go the lingering buff route mentioned above)
- Fishing in open water should count toward the buff (it counts during fishing competitions, but not for fishing party for some reason)

Fishing is a very isolated activity compared to other types of gathering in the game, and right now there's no incentive to leave your boat for any reason to participate in anything else or help anyone else if it means losing stacks and starting over from scratch after an hour of prep. Having to prepare to have fun every single time you fish is probably the biggest killer of this activity. This feature is not finished, and I hope they keep working on it until it is. 🎣

Edited by Sanus.3502
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I haven't invested that deeply into fishing, but that exact thing (low level of engagement with the system) made something very clear to me about fishing: I wouldn't be surprised if they kept all the stupid inconveniences under the banner of "oh but we can't have botters fishing now."

I am... an extremely economically lazy player. I don't do a single efficient farming activity. I have nothing against farming, I just can't be bothered to repeat a set of tasks I don't particularly enjoy, purely for the gold gain. 

However, even lazy old me got into fishing. At first II kinda liked the change of pace, being out on the water. Then after going through the day's catch, I realized I was doing 20+g an hour. This was even with extreme laziness - letting food buff drop, even running out of bait or lures from time to time (this was before I sprang for the infi lure). The onl;y thing I maintained 100% uptime on was the skiff stacks.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be impossible to automate fishing (I'm sure there's already overlays mapping out every fishing hole, and having a bot drive around pressing 2-3 doesn't seem like the hardest thing to do). However, I can see why ANet would be very reticent to let it get any easier than it already is. If someone as disengaged as me can manage a decent rate, I can only imagine what kind of damage an automated fisher can rack up over time.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sanus.3502 said:

Perhaps I should not have used the term "reward" as it seems to have side tracked the point I was trying to make. What I am trying to express is that there are issues with fishing that I feel could be resolved.  I am interested in understanding the reasoning behind some of the development choices the Dev's have made.

Maybe try a forums search for all of the previous threads on fishing?  That might bring some clarity?

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

My question is, why would it be rewarding or fun to make fishing mindlessly easy even in the hardest zones? Why would you not want there to be areas where fishing remains at least slightly more challenging? This seems like a good example of why game designers make game design choices and not players

Edited by Elricht Kaltwind.8796
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

You do it to max the achievements. Then you remove the stuff from your inventory ... and buy the stuff you get from fishing at the TP - when needed. (At last that is what I plan to do.) I do not see any permanent value in it. Then again: There are other masteries that work similar. (Limited use and/or only on certain maps and when you are done with the stuff you need them for ... you are done.)

Fishing for the daily rare fish in Orr requires no special bait thus you could use the Mackerel (150 power) if you add Tips on Fishing (+50 power for 1 hour) the +150 cheap food amd masteries you'll be close too 700. It'll only take 10 catches to be in the green. Maybe even 1. 

"Where is the reward?" sums up everything released since EoD.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:03 AM, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

My question is, why would it be rewarding or fun to make fishing mindlessly easy even in the hardest zones? Why would you not want there to be areas where fishing remains at least slightly more challenging? This seems like a good example of why game designers make game design choices and not players

How is fishing hard? You literally can't fail to catch a fish once it's on your line.

You can't break your rod or lose your expensive lure by not paying attention.

It's the most easymode fishing possible.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2