Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Achievement leader boards are kind of moot - Please update / fix AP so it has equality across the board


Lama.2735
 Share

Recommended Posts

The title says it all.  In this game, if you don't know already, many things you do earn you Achievement Points (AP).  Way before many of us joined the game, there are AP that is unobtainable now due to them being retired or no longer in the game at all.  A player who has played since the beginning will always at an advantage simply he or she played more or the right time.  There is no chance for new players to achieve the same level of AP for a majority of players.  I believe this should be looked at and ANET should equalize AP so everyone has the MAX AP cap.  Currently the gap between a 10 year veteran and a brand new player is at least ~ 3000 AP.  I am basing this on what I can currently earn via gw2effciency.com compared to the highest AP person in guild.  I do not believe this is equitable and it's like everyone starting a foot race at different points.  Some people will never reach the finish line due to this discrepancy.   Don't trick players into thinking they can compete with veterans when in reality there is literally nothing they can do to be in the same boat AP wise.   ANET, please look into this in the near future or communicate with us at the very least.  Until then, I will speak with my wallet and refuse to buy gems via cash.  I don't see a reason to spend real life money in a system that is rigged for people who simply started before many players and myself joined GW2.  Thank you for reading my wall of text and I hope this gets addressed sooner rather than later.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The leaderboards have been meaningless since inception. There are content and tournaments with ap which can never be restored and taking away ap is the only way to balance that which would be grossly unfair.

There is no finish line. There is no need for parity on this and no gain in implementing it.

No competition exists beyond a tiny fraction of players. I’d get wanting to improve the ap rewards or ap values, but we def do not need to balance this one out.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, yoni.7015 said:


No one really cares about AP 

But I think it’s good that veteran players will always have more AP than new players. I don’t see the need to address it or change something. 


The fact you don't care about AP doesn't mean it should be ignored... that is such a selfish way of thinking.... 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lama.2735 said:


The fact you don't care about AP doesn't mean it should be ignored... that is such a selfish way of thinking.... 

the fact you care about AP doesn’t mean it should be addressed, that is such a selfish way of thinking. 
There are many more important things Anet should do that benefit every player. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 7
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

the fact you care about AP doesn’t mean it should be addressed, that is such a selfish way of thinking. 
There are many more important things Anet should do that benefit every player. 


I am suggesting a change and asking for ANET to communicate and look at it.  You're saying "It doesn't bother me, so it should just be left alone indefinitely"  You and I are not the same.  

  • Like 2
  • Confused 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

You are the first person in the last 365 days that cares about AP. 


Maybe ANET should just remove it all together then? Why even bother have it in the game if it completely pointless as many people argue... There are others that care about AP as a goal,  purpose, and an achievement!  

 

 

12 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

The leaderboards have been meaningless since inception. There are content and tournaments with ap which can never be restored and taking away ap is the only way to balance that which would be grossly unfair.

There is no finish line. There is no need for parity on this and no gain in implementing it.

No competition exists beyond a tiny fraction of players. I’d get wanting to improve the ap rewards or ap values, but we def do not need to balance this one out.

There are legit changes that will "fix" this issue.  ANET just doesn't see this as a priority whereas I do.  Example is just to have it merge with a the daily or another separate category where there is a max cap from retired achievement points.  It is a simple yet elegant solution honestly.  

  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lama.2735 said:


Maybe ANET should just remove it all together then? Why even bother have it in the game if it completely pointless as many people argue... There are others that care about AP as a goal,  purpose, and an achievement!  

 

 

There are legit changes that will "fix" this issue.  ANET just doesn't see this as a priority whereas I do.  Example is just to have it merge with a the daily or another separate category where there is a max cap from retired achievement points.  It is a simple yet elegant solution honestly.  

I remember seeing Anet hiring, maybe join them and fix the AP system yourself, especially considering Anet would otherwise be wasting their time on a system people consider fine as is and/or don't care much about.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:


No one really cares about AP 

But I think it’s good that veteran players will always have more AP than new players. I don’t see the need to address it or change something. 

I am sure there are people who care. Just like those who are proud of the shiny gold star on their homework. There were definitely people who made a big deal about how high someone's AP is or isn't.

People trying to find proof of their "specialness" is not unusual either.

I am also reminded of a poster from a few years ago who was disappointed that they did not get showered with adulations after crafting their first legendary weapon.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lama.2735 said:


Maybe ANET should just remove it all together then? Why even bother have it in the game if it completely pointless as many people argue... There are others that care about AP as a goal,  purpose, and an achievement!  

 

 

There are legit changes that will "fix" this issue.  ANET just doesn't see this as a priority whereas I do.  Example is just to have it merge with a the daily or another separate category where there is a max cap from retired achievement points.  It is a simple yet elegant solution honestly.  

And what problem are we solving? What possible reason is there that new players need to catch up with and be on par with ten year loyal veterans on this issue?

And merging ap caps sounds like a messy system, prone to bugs and problems

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

I remember seeing Anet hiring, maybe join them and fix the AP system yourself, especially considering Anet would otherwise be wasting their time on a system people consider fine as is and/or don't care much about.

Sigh... it's like I am talking to a child who refuses to look at the bigger picture.  That's fine.  You guys are only reinforcing my decision to not spend a dime more on this game.  

 

2 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

I am sure there are people who care. Just like those who are proud of the shiny gold star on their homework. There were definitely people who made a big deal about how high someone's AP is or isn't.

People trying to find proof of their "specialness" is not unusual either.

I am also reminded of a poster from a few years ago who was disappointed that they did not get showered with adulations after crafting their first legendary weapon.

Exactly.  I am literally running out of things to do and AP hunting became my thing.  People attacking me for doing something I personally enjoy is just asinine.  Unfortunately, A lot of people has this mentality "it doesn't bother me so it's not an issue so ANET should just ignore it completely" 
 

 

6 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

And what problem are we solving? What possible reason is there that new players need to catch up with and be on par with ten year loyal veterans on this issue?

And merging ap caps sounds like a messy system, prone to bugs and problems

 

for FUN maybe?  I am sure ANET can do it but they've been silent and ignoring this topic.  To me, it is them ignoring the bigger picture because people can be turned off in any game where an individual can't even strive to be the top It's like playing a racing game competitively and professionally;  Only the 10 year old veterans can use the shortcuts and special power ups provided compared to a brand new player is stuck with a junk car and everybody telling the new player to DEAL WITH IT!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your point might have some validity if ap gave an advantage to anything, which it doesn’t. It’s just a personal track of what you have completed. Regardless of whether ap appropriately rewards content completion or not, it is a mark of completing something. 
I never completed the pvp tournaments, so I don’t deserve that ap or be given an alternative route towards it. Me missing out loses out on absolutely nothing.
 

That is the mark of a correct and fair system and should not be changed.

The vast number of players I’ve played with over the years have next to no interest in the ap values or maxing out. And the reason is, it’s not a competitive thing. I understand what you are saying, but there is no bigger picture in this context.

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lama.2735 said:

Sigh... it's like I am talking to a child who refuses to look at the bigger picture.  That's fine.  You guys are only reinforcing my decision to not spend a dime more on this game.  

You're the one throwing a tantrum over a meaningless part of the game screaming how they should remove it if noone cares about it. Jumping from one extreme to the other, incapable of having a decent discussion.

Like ranting about LIDL's cheese packaging not being orange, then screaming "LIDL should throw out all cheese then, I will no longer shop here" when being told it's a pointless thing, in the same style toddlers do while having a tantrum over not getting chocolate or a pair of binoculars.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Lama.2735 said:

Sigh... it's like I am talking to a child who refuses to look at the bigger picture.  That's fine.  You guys are only reinforcing my decision to not spend a dime more on this game.  

tbh, you are the one that behaves like a child. I always find these “threats” that you won’t spend anymore money amusing. Then don’t do it, you don’t have to write it in every post, do you? 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...I didn't even realize the leaderboards existed until a little while ago. Keep forgetting about it until someone brings it up again. I'm still not sure how to view them - and I don't care to. Why? AP is not a competition. It doesn't gain you any benefits in-game that can be measured against other people (save a few skins, I guess?).

I speak only for myself, of course, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of people think the same way.

Edited by Batel.9206
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lama.2735 said:

You all white knights are the same.  We can agree to disagree.  You think it's meaningless whereas I don't think it is.  If you can't see just past that point, we are not having a conversation anyways.  And I have no idea what point you are making with your analogy...

My point is that you are complaining about something noone cares about as it's such a miniscule thing, yet you blow it out of proportion, scream that Anet should just remove it if they don't change it like you'd want them to, then yell that you won't be spending money on the game.

In short. a tantrum.

There is no white knighting in saying that a small part of the game that was only ""important"" as a way to filter out people from Dungeons early on, then again during Marionette is a system that's fine as is. 

The "you" is seemingly the majority of the players. Just because my uncle has been collecting stamps for longer than me I'm not pounding on the door of the post office that they should only release a set number of stamps in total.

  • Like 10
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s not a question of the devs caring about your opinion or not. This game has millions of accounts and it can’t please everyone. If your suggested is implemented and upsets a lot more people, then all they have done is swung from one direction to the other. They simply can’t listen to everyone and they def will overlook anyone saying “listen to me or I won’t spend gems” even if you have every right to say that.
 

The fact is your suggestion is as valid as anyone else’s, although we have given you many reasons why there is no bigger picture in the context you give it and why it shouldn’t be implemented. Ultimately, this is not a new topic of conversation and rarely receives support. On top of that, Anet know their game better than us. If they believed this was a genuine issue to be solved, they’d solve it.

I have issues with the ap system I’d like resolved and this isn’t one of them. None of them have ever been addressed and that’s prob because the devs do see a much more accurate bigger picture than any of us and deemed my ideas not right for the game.

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It’s not a question of the devs caring about your opinion or not. This game has millions of accounts and it can’t please everyone. If your suggested is implemented and upsets a lot more people, then all they have done is swung from one direction to the other. They simply can’t listen to everyone and they def will overlook anyone saying “listen to me or I won’t spend gems” even if you have every right to say that.
 

The fact is your suggestion is as valid as anyone else’s, although we have given you many reasons why there is no bigger picture in the context you give it and why it shouldn’t be implemented. Ultimately, this is not a new topic of conversation and rarely receives support. On top of that, Anet know their game better than us. If they believed this was a genuine issue to be solved, they’d solve it.

I have issues with the ap system I’d like resolved and this isn’t one of them. None of them have ever been addressed and that’s prob because the devs do see a much more accurate bigger picture than any of us and deemed my ideas not right for the game.

Thank you for your explanation.  It is sad that the AP system is such a mess.  I think ANET can and should do better communicating.  If I read what you wrote from a dev, I would have probably just accepted it.  Regardless, I am no longer worrying about this.      

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...