Advert Eyesore

Svarty.8019

6 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I love how they design a UI to be free of clutter, then eventually add adverts..

To be fair though, it’s not a true guild wars advert until a full pop up about it appears in the middle of the screen advertising the sale with some npc loon shouting at you:

”BY OGDEN’S HAMMER, WHAT SAVINGS!”

(Warning for screen flashing in this video.)

---

Anyway, the user interface isn't really free of clutter, in fact it can be extremely cluttered at some times due poor decision making, like how in parties your buffs can go all the way to the end of the screen on larger UI setting, or how your own buffs can go way behind the minimap on any setting.

If anything they need to do a pass to declutter the UI.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

(Warning for screen flashing in this video.)

---

Anyway, the user interface isn't really free of clutter, in fact it can be extremely cluttered at some times due poor decision making, like how in parties your buffs can go all the way to the end of the screen on larger UI setting, or how your own buffs can go way behind the minimap on any setting.

If anything they need to do a pass to declutter the UI.

It was a tongue in cheek reply. The ui was designed to be clutter free, but yes that ship sailed a long time ago

• Like 1

I never understood why GW2's UI wasn't as customisable as the first game's, considering they're the same engine.

Now I know!

Wouldn't want to give users the ability to remove the ads!

To be honest, I thought they would have learned their lesson after the permanently highlighted Black Lion icon a couple months back.

But nope.

ANet must like the feeling of standing on rakes they themselves have placed in the grass.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
bequals!?
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I never understood why GW2's UI wasn't as customisable as the first game's, considering they're the same engine.

Now I know!

Wouldn't want to give users the ability to b=remove the ads!

To be honest, I thought they would have learned their lesson after the permanently highlighted Black Lion icon a couple months back.

But nope.

ANet must like the feeling of standing on rakes they themselves have placed in the grass.

Reminds me of that similar scene in the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy film..

2 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I'd be interested to see a source where ANet acknowledge it was a bug. After an, admittedly cursory, search of Update Notes and the Bugs forum, there's nothing official I can see explicitly stating this.

Why wouldn't it be a bug though? It doesn't really follow logically that they would want the gem store icon to be permanently highlighted, then there would be no way to draw attention to sales and new items etc, which is the entire point of highlighting it, since the highlight would become meaningless noise ignored by everyone. It really doesn't make any sense

Edited by Elricht Kaltwind.8796
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I'd be interested to see a source where ANet acknowledge it was a bug. After an, admittedly cursory, search of Update Notes and the Bugs forum, there's nothing official I can see explicitly stating this.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/114812-game-update-notes-may-10-2022/#comment-1657321

Fixed an issue in which the Black Lion Trading Post icon would be visible during cutscenes.

6 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Now I know!

Wouldn't want to give users the ability to remove the ads!

But nope.

It would be pretty weird for them to design the game with limited UI options so they could have adverts onscreen, then wait 10 years to use it. If it was deliberate I'd have expected something the first time new items were added to the gem store (around Halloween 2012 I think).

Also if they wanted to do that they could make some parts of the UI customisable and others fixed. It's more likely the two are unrelated.

• Like 2

Objectively subjectively speaking, I found the font and highlight of the line of text ugly.

It should be collapsible into an unobtrusive icon on clicking. All ads should become unobtrusive upon interaction. Annoying ads are highly counter-productive and immersion-breaking.

Spoiler

I'm just joking about the immersion part

10 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

9 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

6 hours ago, Debesyla.7102 said:
6 hours ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

Fixed an issue in which the Black Lion Trading Post icon would be visible during cutscenes.

So they confirmed that the icon was bugged during cutscenes, but nothing about permanent highlight of the icon during gameplay.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2